Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: honeycomb grid cleaning?

honeycomb grid cleaning?

i was wondering if anyone know what really gets cleans residue buildup off of the grid. after prolonged use mine has it where ive been cutting 1/8 baltic birch its a rust color?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanx.

We clean ours off with aceton , tried an oven cleaner once and it worked a charm , all the crud was gone , but so was 1/2 the honeycomb....
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

We spray ours with Purple ZEP let it set for 10-15 minutes and then use the hose on it. There are many cleaners available and if it is just wood it should clean off easily.
    Mike Mackenzie
    Sales and Service of Universal Laser Systems

I use RapidRemover, spray and let sit 5 minutes and rinse and most comes off. It's made for removing adhesive, available at sign supplies.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I like Krud Kutter. Spray it on and rinse it off with a garden hose.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

We use Scrubbing Bubbles on the flat sheet and it works fine. I haven't tried it on the honeycomb yet, though.
    Eric Jackson
    Turned Treasure's Inc.
    Director, River Region Chaplain Service
    Titus 2:7,"..be an example unto them by doing good deeds of everykind. Let everything you do reflect the integrity and seriousness of your teaching."

Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    We clean ours off with aceton , tried an oven cleaner once and it worked a charm , all the crud was gone , but so was 1/2 the honeycomb....

The salesman I bought my epilog off of told me to use oven cleaner! I haven't tried it yet....now I am afraid to after what you said! yikes!!

Lisa

Oven cleaner will destroy your grid.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Oven cleaner will destroy your grid.
    Epilogs have stainless steel grids. Are you saying oven cleaner will destroy it like it will aluminum?

It's too early in the morning and I'm a dork. Epilogs have Aluminum grids. I knew that. Oven cleaner willl eat it right up.
    Last edited by Doug Griffith; 01-31-2009 at 9:54 AM. Reason: I'm a dork!!!
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Griffith View Post
    Epilogs have stainless steel grids. Are you saying oven cleaner will destroy it like it will aluminum?

The grid in my epilog may be aluminum. It's very light and bends easily....I have had the epilog over a year and haven't had to clean the grid yet, but oven cleaner was recommended by the salesman. I am glad I saw this posting before spring got here.....I was going to clean it when I can drag the hose out I will probably try some other type of household cleaner before the oven cleaner now......

Lisa

I just fix 1"x1"x1" feet to the corners and use aluminum 1/2 x 1/2 grid fire grate as a vector grid.. It comes in 2x4' sheets, and I cut it to 4 pieces 12 x 24" .. The stuff is cheap, so when one gets 'real' cruddy I just toss it out, and use another piece.. The one 2x4 sheet I bought 5 years ago is still going strong, and I have at least three 12 x 24" pieces to go.. Lost one on the Bar-B-Que last summer...Don't ask!
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Cleaning vector gird

Lisa,

I agree that using oven cleaner will desolve the aluminum and glues used on your aluminum vector grid. Don't do it. If it was recommended by your rep, it was in error.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm 110% certain tech support would've sent you a free replacement, regardless of warranty status.

I'll inform your local agent of this major no-no.
    Peck Sidara
    Epilog Laser
    888.437.4564 ext. 236

Uhhhhhh Peck.....is there a specific cleaner that Epilog DOES recommend?
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Cleaning vector gird

Steve,

I didn't post a repsonse as to our recommendation as the ones suggested are good starting points.

In general, any mild detergent cleaner (Zep, 409, Orange based cleaners) are good in breaking down the build up on your vector grid. If heavily soiled, soaking prior may be helpful. Rinse and repeat as needed.

HTH,
    Peck Sidara
    Epilog Laser
    888.437.4564 ext. 236

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    use aluminum 1/2 x 1/2 grid fire grate as a vector grid.. It comes in 2x4' sheets
    Hi Bill,

Where can I get that online? A google did not turn up anything obvious for me to check. I am sure it is not BBQ grill which may explain the "don't ask."
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.