Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Display stand recommendations?

Display stand recommendations?

I'm just finished the decorative bow in the photo below. I think I'll call it "Rain Drops"

Working on a couple others with decorative edges/rims.

Not sure I like the stand my wife had laying around that I used in the photo. Looking for ideas for display stands that will hold something up but not be too distracting or obstructive to the displayed bowl or platter.

If you have something "store bought" that you like and use please share sources.

If you have a home made version you want to share please include a photo or two and maybe even a ball park of dimensions.

Thanks
    Ricc

RD 3.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post
    ... Looking for ideas for display stands that will hold something up but not be too distracting or obstructive to the displayed bowl or platter.
    If you have something "store bought" that you like and use please share sources.
    Ricc,

I always use Arkon folding stands made for iPad and such: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CKVOOY

I like them since they are sturdy, fold nicely, and I think look good in basic black. And work with the iPad when needed! I think I bought a dozen or so. As you can see, the support is adjustable so I can put them closer or further apart as I feel like. The back support is adjustable too so I can adjust for various thickness - the small squarish platters I make have relatively thick bases so I can tilt the back support to give me the look I want.

penta_plate_walnut_IMG_46.jpg penta_jatoba_IMG_7636 - Copy.jpg penta_olive_comp_IMG_7459.jpg

I use them for photography and carry them to demos when I want to display things on a table. My wife stole one to use with her large iPad at the table. In fact, good reminder, I'm ordering a few more while thinking about it!

I'm afraid I don't like most of the shiny metal ones much. I think they distract from the turning as the focal point.

JKJ

I made several plate stands on my scroll saw for the wife. Patterns all over the internet to do this. This give you a chance to add another artistic element to the piece.

John - thanks I will check them out.

Tom - good idea but I don't have a scroll saw. I gave it away a few years ago as I'm considered legally blind (only have 8-9% center vision in left eye and my right eye is mostly an unfocused blur that glasses won't help). It was too hard to use following small lines with a small blade. that's why I do turning instead of flatwork. On flatwork if you are off a little with cuts or joinery your project may not go together correctly. With most (but not all) turning if you are off a little it can be an artistic "design change" or "I meant to do that"

Keep the ideas coming!
    Ricc

... I don't have a scroll saw. I gave it away a few years ago as I'm considered legally blind (only have 8-9% center vision in left eye and my right eye is mostly an unfocused blur that glasses won't help). It was too hard to use following small lines with a small blade. that's why I do turning instead of flatwork. On flatwork if you are off a little with cuts or joinery your project may not go together correctly. With most (but not all) turning if you are off a little it can be an artistic "design change" or "I meant to do that"
    Ricc, wow, you certainly do impressive work in spite of your vision limitations!! (My Lovely Bride has similar challenges - her left eye is nothing but an uncorrectable blur (light but no recognizable shapes) and her other eye has quite limited peripheral vision.)

I like your comment about the artistic flexibility! So far my vision is good but I make generous use of unplanned design opportunities!

JKJ

Not to hijack the thread, but I'd like to hear a little more about how the rim was decorated! Very striking.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Ricc, wow, you certainly do impressive work in spite of your vision limitations!! (My Lovely Bride has similar challenges - her left eye is nothing but an uncorrectable blur (light but no recognizable shapes) and her other eye has quite limited peripheral vision.)

I like your comment about the artistic flexibility! So far my vision is good but I make generous use of unplanned design opportunities!

JKJ

Thanks John for the compliment! I have what is called RP - short for retinitis pigmentosa - a form of macular degeneration. It's hereditary and I was told at age 5 that I'd I'd go blind some day. So over the years I have lost all peripheral vision and my right has gone to a blur as my retinal cells don't regenerate. But, I have gotten used to it and as it's been gradual loss over the past 5o+ years that has allowed me to adjust and adapt. I can still turn but I only see a portion of the turning at a time and it takes me a little bit longer to turn a bowl than it does for Stuart Batty or Ashley Harwood!

Ricc

...it takes me a little bit longer to turn a bowl than it does for Stuart Batty or Ashley Harwood!
    Aah, those people are way overrated! I think I would win the award for being the slowest woodturning in the southeast - I can spend 30 minutes turning a finger top and two days on a little platter. I think there is more joy and satisfaction in the creation than bragging rights from the race!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mount View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but I'd like to hear a little more about how the rim was decorated! Very striking.
    Dave, here is a video I saw. It's a live stream so I skipped ahead from time to time while he was turning the bowl until he got to the embellishing technique. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzw87txDHS0&t=4321s

Ricc

JKJ
    I have a couple bowls Ricc turned and can attest to his skill set. Very nice stuff!
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Thanks Rob! I appreciate the compliment!

I can't help you with the stand, however I really the piece! Are the "drops" textured as they appear? The color shadings are very intriguing.
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    I can't help you with the stand, however I really the piece! Are the "drops" textured as they appear? The color shadings are very intriguing.
    My questions too. My vote is for some additional photos.

Aah, those people are way overrated! I think I would win the award for being the slowest woodturning in the southeast - I can spend 30 minutes turning a finger top and two days on a little platter. I think there is more joy and satisfaction in the creation than bragging rights from the race!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post

Hey Dick and JKJ, no texture. it's flat. Check the youtube link above in my response #9 to Dave. It's a technique with spray paints and actual water. Easier watch the video than for me to try and explain it. You may want to skip thru the video some as he's recording a live stream and the actual turjning of the wood until he gets to the embellishing technique portion.

Ricc

Still looking for display stand ideas

Ricc