Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donations to SMC

Blog Entries

Donations to SMC

I continually see people with many posts who are not contributors. At only $6/year, I wonder why?
    Dennis

This may provide some perspective https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ht=Bill+McNiel

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I continually see people with many posts who are not contributors. At only $6/year, I wonder why?
    I can’t answer that. And, yes it would be nice if everyone became a contributor.
    But, look at your first phrase. For me that is what is the most important. People contribute in different ways. If I have a problem and someone has a solution she/he adds value to the forum. I really don’t care about the problem solver’s contributor status.

It would be nice if those asking for help showed their gratitude by helping the forum financially, but just by being members they add to the overall collective knowledge. Sooner or later that knowledge will be helpful.

I know we have to have some sort of revenue generating plan to keep the lights on. But if people are willing to share knowledge, there is value to the forum even absent a donation.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Countless hours of education and entertainment, for the cost of one woodworking magazine.

In the 17+ years that SawMill Creek has been online you will find posts from people here that were once Members and Contributors who have left us for one reason or another. You will also see a number people whose title is "In Memoriam", that have passed away. When their accounts run out of time our software automatically changes their title to Member, the exception is those who have passed away, I assign them a permanent title.

Everyone here contributes in one way or another. Whether you ask a question or answer one, both are valuable and everyone wins. I operated SawMill Creek for almost four years without any advertising support or asking anyone for financial support. The company that owned SawMill Creek paid all of the bills and we operated as a community service. This community grew and grew and grew beyond our wildest dreams in the first few years and when the company that owned SawMill Creek went out of business I announced that I was taking the site down. A huge number of people here asked me to find a way to keep The Creek flowing, at a time when I had just lost my job and my wife was already unemployed because we owned the company that owned The Creek. The decision to keep the lights on here was made by all of you who were here at the time. You decided to send money to pay the bills and I offered to do my best to offset the costs via advertising. This was our decision not mine and I have kept my promise to all of you but I cannot pay the bills here out of my pocket.

Believe me we have weathered a bunch of storms here over the years and we are still here because we all contribute.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-25-2020 at 12:08 PM.

Thank you Keith!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

This thread reminded me to “renew” my subscription. But I realized that I do not receive any notice to tell me when the year is up. Or am I missing something?

Bernie,

If you are a Contributor you will get a notice when your account is down to 30 days. If your account changes to Member you cannot receive messages here so the notice cannot be delivered.

Keith, You have never replied to my question of more than once. Is SMC a business, co-op or is it a 501-C. That's the reason I was hesitant to send money. There are liability issues associated being in any of them, so I, for one would like to know which SMC is.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Keith, You have never replied to my question of more than once. Is SMC a business, co-op or is it a 501-C. That's the reason I was hesitant to send money. There are liability issues associated being in any of them, so I, for one would like to know which SMC is.
    I'm scratching my head trying to imagine what kind of horrible thing would happen when I send in my $6.

I just threw a 20 in when I signed up. I’m not well off but 6$ seemed kinda low when I considered that I would be taking out way more than I could ever put in.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fish View Post
    I just threw a 20 in when I signed up. I’m not well off but 6$ seemed kinda low when I considered that I would be taking out way more than I could ever put in.
    Steve, thanks for helping to keep it going. And for providing early morning content !

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fish View Post
    Steve, thank you.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Bruce,

SawMill Creek Woodworkers Forums are owned by Northwind Associates Inc which is a privately owned company. It has to be this way because The Creek is a serious legal risk, being owned by a corporation protects my personal assets. There is a lot more to being responsible for an online forum than most people know. A good portion of the 6 dollar donation people contribute here goes to state and federal taxes after PayPal gets their piece of the pie upfront. Thankfully most donations are in the 2 to 5 dollars per month.

The Freedom Pens Project belongs to me, it is a 501.C3 non-profit organization providing free custom handwriting pens to our servicemen and women in the Middle East.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-26-2020 at 5:37 PM.

Kieth, thanks for taking the time to explain business model for SMC. I know about the liabilities of not being a corporation.