Thread: Options for Harvey Table Saw?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I think most folks will tell you 3hsp. That has been the standard for years and years. For 35 yrs or so I used a delta contractor and made aliving with it. When I thought I needed a new saw, I went with the 2 hsp harvey, as the intro prices were so wonderful. I enjoy my harvey. The delta contractor had a router table on it and a jointech fence, so I could use just one fence for cutting wood and using the router. I have always shied away from using the 2 fence idea as one has to keep taking the router fence off and keep putting it back on.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    I think most folks will tell you 3hsp. That has been the standard for years and years. For 35 yrs or so I used a delta contractor and made aliving with it. When I thought I needed a new saw, I went with the 2 hsp harvey, as the intro prices were so wonderful. I enjoy my harvey. The delta contractor had a router table on it and a jointech fence, so I could use just one fence for cutting wood and using the router. I have always shied away from using the 2 fence idea as one has to keep taking the router fence off and keep putting it back on.
    Thank you. I think I will look for a 3 horsepower cabinet saw. As I mentioned above, I am also considering a SawStop.

I personally prefer more power in a table saw. Started out with a 1 hp, resin top, arbor moving table saw, then a Delta contractors saw, now have a SawStop ICS 5hp, 36" fence. Have used a Powermatic 5hp at one job and a 3hp Delta Unisaw.
    I find with more power less binding of the saw blade and smoother cutting, MY PERSONAL FEELINGS.
    Don't like or use router tables so no recommendations there.
    Recommend buying all the power you can afford, along with a nice cast iron top that is flat, sent a Jet contractors saw back in 1986 due to over 20 faults with it. Had to argue with the distributor as shop that sold it brand new to me tried to wash hands until credit card company got involved. Bought a Jet jointer a year later AFTER looking it over closely from another seller that was good quality and ran it for 32yrs.
    Never had a chance to examine a Harvey saw but have heard good things about it.
    Consider a sliding table saw, never used one or even heard of one until I came here. Now I would like to have one, however would need to add an addition to the house basement to have enough space for one.
    Good luck, take your time and keep your mind open.
    Ron
    Last edited by Ron Selzer; 05-21-2022 at 11:54 AM.

Pat, for most folks, the 3hp machine pretty much covers everything they likely would do, regardless of color/label. Adequate power for common thicker materials is there and most of the time, it will be "loafing" along while cutting.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...