Thread: controlling 230v magnetic switch from other locations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Think about a current sensor located in panel box. One lead of each machine would have to pass thru it. Anytime a machine is turned on, DC comes on. Add a "cube timer" (delay on break) to allow DC pipes to be swept clean before DC shuts down. Sensor controls contactor for DC. Current sensors can be gotten off ebay, along with cube timer. Not my idea originally. It appeared in FWW, Aug 2000. That's what I have in my shop.

Easy way is to buy a heavy duty realy/contactor/starter with a 120 volt coil. Supply it with 240 and take 240 downstream. Wire the control coil so it gets 120 volt power from the existing relay setup's output. that coil will draw less then one amp from the existing system.
    I would be Leary of converting the existing system controls to 120 volt. The existing wire and switches may not be rated for 120 volts
    Bill D.

I used an airconditioner relay rated for 240v with a 24volt coil and 24 volt transformer
    . I ran thermostat wire with 3way and 4way switches in 8 locations. been 15 yrs with noproblems
    Last edited by cecil rolfe; 11-26-2019 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Think about a current sensor located in panel box. One lead of each machine would have to pass thru it. Anytime a machine is turned on, DC comes on. Add a "cube timer" (delay on break) to allow DC pipes to be swept clean before DC shuts down. Sensor controls contactor for DC. Current sensors can be gotten off ebay, along with cube timer. Not my idea originally. It appeared in FWW, Aug 2000. That's what I have in my shop.
    Yes, this is a good solution for many, though the 220 machines (as I understand it) don't work as well as you need the sensor on only one leg. It would have to be tied to an a gate system as well to open/close to prevent flow losses, though it could be manual.

That system wouldn't get me to the several floor sweeps we're putting in though, still need some manual control. Your proposed idea would work, just not what we were looking at initially. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C Johnson View Post
    Yes, this is a good solution for many, though the 220 machines (as I understand it) don't work as well as you need the sensor on only one leg.
    Please don't tell this to my 220 machines as they have been using this system since 2002, and working flawlessly.