Thread: support for table saw extension

support for table saw extension

I'm looking to extend the functionality of my contractor table saw. I have an extra cast iron extension that I'd like to insert between the base table top and my router extension but this will put too much weight on that side of the saw. Any recommendations for the best kind of leg supports? The saw tableIMG_0954.jpg is 27 inches deep and 35 inches off the floor. The saw has retractable wheels which I use. I know this will not work so well with any extension legs but short of building a whole cabinet with casters under the saw, I'm not sure I can do much about that.

If you want to maintain mobility, I think the simplest solution is to replace the integrated casters with something like the Grizzly Bear Crawl base and add the extension to support legs for the extension wing(s). At that point, I'd probably just build a simple cabinet box/shelves as the "legs" for additional storage.

The other option could be to build an angled support that attaches to the saw to support the cantilevered extension. But while that may support the extension at the joint, I suspect it's still going to be unstable and run the risk of tipping the whole saw.
    Last edited by Patrick Varley; 04-23-2021 at 11:21 AM.

The angled support Patrick suggested, add a shelf under your saw that extends to the width of your left extension; maybe some angled brackets from the top or bottom ... depending, add 60 pounds of tools or ballast to that shelf. Add a sign to that shelf to remind yourself and others not to remove all the tools from that shelf at one time.

Add two pieces of angle, one to the front one in the back of you saw, that extends from the edge of the left extension to the edge of the second right extension. Bolt to the frame of your saw.
    Probably still need ballast to the left to accommodate the extra weight plus the weight of any wood you place on the right extensions.
    Last edited by Charlie Velasquez; 04-23-2021 at 12:40 PM.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Velasquez View Post
    The angled support Patrick suggested, add a shelf under your saw that extends to the width of your left extension; maybe some angled brackets from the top or bottom ... depending, add 60 pounds of tools or ballast to that shelf. Add a sign to that shelf to remind yourself and others not to remove all the tools from that shelf at one time.

Add two pieces of angle, one to the front one in the back of you saw, that extends from the edge of the left extension to the edge of the second right extension. Bolt to the frame of your saw.
    Hadn't thought of adding ballast to the opposite side, but of course it makes sense.

As for the angles support, this plan for an outfeed table provides the principle. You're just putting it on the side, not the back. Though obviously it can be greatly simplified as it doesn't need to fold, and you don't necessarily need it to be adjustable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Varley View Post
    The other option could be to build an angled support that attaches to the saw to support the cantilevered extension.
    I did this for awhile but, not with a mobile base. Thought I had a picture but it must be too long ago. A different mobile base with an extension for legs would be the right way to go if you have to keep moving your saw.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler