Thread: Electric Cars

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Tesla Roadster apparently has plenty of room for batteries. 0-60 in 1.9 seconds, 250 mph top speed, 600 mile range promised. They should be able to pack a lot into the Corvette.

If you get one you can hope you have someone willing to give you lots of tires, have to imagine it eats them for lunch with that kind of acceleration! The batteries provide a really low center of mass which really improves handling.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    The Tesla Roadster apparently has plenty of room for batteries. 0-60 in 1.9 seconds, 250 mph top speed, 600 mile range promised. They should be able to pack a lot into the Corvette.
    I'd take those numbers with a very large lump of salt: unless it's using a radically different tech than the Model S, the 200kWh battery they're talking about for the Roadster weighs about 1600lbs and takes up about 20 cubic feet of space. But it boils down to the Tesla having the advantage of being designed around the battery instead of vice versa.

So let's back off that about 50% (at least) and assume something comparable to the Model S drivetrain stuffed into the 'Vette. The motor takes up a not-insignificant amount of space itself: figure at least half the current engine bay by the time the controller electronics and accessory units (e.g. electric A/C) get added in. Here's the fun part: the trunks on the C8 total out to 12cu-ft, not much more than the size of the battery packs. Problem is, the (much larger) rear one is in a terrible location for something as heavy as battery packs: way too far back and way too high. You might get half a Tesla worth of battery into the front trunk, unless of course you want to have AWD and you need that space for a second motor or transfer case. That leaves whatever useful remains of the engine bay, which will again be higher than desirable, but at least it's inside the wheelbase.

Short of redesigning the whole car, the C8 makes a lot more sense as a hybrid than a pure EV.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Seems to me if you are going to make an EV version of such an iconic car it would be foolish not to redesign the whole car and do it right. GM has committed to eliminate all ICE vehicle production by 2035.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Seems to me if you are going to make an EV version of such an iconic car it would be foolish not to redesign the whole car and do it right.
    Agreed, but that doesn't fit with the timeframe they've been discussing: possible 2024 introduction.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Agreed, but that doesn't fit with the timeframe they've been discussing: possible 2024 introduction.
    Since they have been working on EV's for a while now I would guess they have been doing the ERay project for a while now. I looked and the trademark and patents were filed in 2015. It's a hybrid and not a full plug in EV. It will be AWD with the front wheels electrically driven. Here is a link with some info.
    gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevrolet/corvette/chevrolet-corvette-c8/chevrolet-corvette-c8-e-ray/

Ronald,

The Model A has an '84 Chevy Camaro 2.7 L. V-6 in it, with a turbo 350 trans. It was that way when I got it, and the main reason I got it. Model A frames are pretty flexible, and you can twist one with torque if it is not beefed up.

I just wanted this one to drive around, not to impress anybody, and it has been that way for over 25 years. I used to have an A coupe with rumble seat (for 25 years), with a Pinto motor in it, and always regretted letting it go. Lot's of A's had pinto motors, they even bolted to the original bell housing.

Funny you ask, because just this morning my son in Texas asked me to sell it to him, as it reminds him of the coupe we had, and his son loves driving my Tudor. I suspect it will be heading East soon, on extended loan. The 'T' with the V8 60 motor is in the same situation at my son in laws home a few miles from me.

You see a lot of Chevy motors in old Fords because they are several inches shorter than most Ford motors.....they fit.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 10-29-2021 at 10:02 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Since they have been working on EV's for a while now I would guess they have been doing the ERay project for a while now. I looked and the trademark and patents were filed in 2015. It's a hybrid and not a full plug in EV. It will be AWD with the front wheels electrically driven. Here is a link with some info.
    gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevrolet/corvette/chevrolet-corvette-c8/chevrolet-corvette-c8-e-ray/
    Yeah, 8kWh of battery is quite a bit more easier to package than the 80-100 that a full EV would require.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Short of redesigning the whole car, the C8 makes a lot more sense as a hybrid than a pure EV.
    Like I said...

Historically, a full platform change for the Corvette has been at least a 5-6 year development cycle. Full-EV "C9" in 2025 or later sounds a bit more reasonable.

OK, here's the answer to all of the electric car problems:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...rcedes/3021121

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    ok, here's the answer to all of the electric car problems:

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...rcedes/3021121
    rotflmao
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

It won't play for me, I get the message "THIS VIDEO IS NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR LOCATION", what are you guys down there trying to hide?

Funny.

But not really far off. There are over 4000 type 4680 cells in the Tesla Model 3 "battery." It really does run on thousands of individual batteries wired in parallel into modules and ganged by module in series to get an overall high voltage; they are somewhat bigger, and of course a bit over twice the voltage of an AA, but they otherwise don't look all that different from one. The magic is their charge capacity (9-15 times that of an AA) and rechargeability.

I wonder if those with EVs are seeing any increase in charging cost currently similar to the huge increase in gas prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I wonder if those with EVs are seeing any increase in charging cost currently similar to the huge increase in gas prices.
    The majority of EV charging that I'm aware of around here is done in the cars' home garages. I suspect that's true overall - most folks go home at night and their car tops up overnight, and they need a public charger only when making an extended trip. Since electricity prices are regulated in most places, it takes some time for market energy costs to show up in your "gas tank" bill. Or, in my case, they never do, since the juice comes off our solar panels. I know pretty well to the penny what I'm going to pay for kwhs.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    The majority of EV charging that I'm aware of around here is done in the cars' home garages. I suspect that's true overall - most folks go home at night and their car tops up overnight, and they need a public charger only when making an extended trip. Since electricity prices are regulated in most places, it takes some time for market energy costs to show up in your "gas tank" bill. Or, in my case, they never do, since the juice comes off our solar panels. I know pretty well to the penny what I'm going to pay for kwhs.
    Not only are electricity prices regulated so not immediately affected by market energy costs but depending on location they may never see significant impact due to fluctuations in oil prices. In BC where I live, 95% of our electricity is from renewable sources, in fact our power generation company, is called BC Hydro since that is our biggest source. Currently BC Hydro is predicting electricity prices, which are amongst the lowest in North America, to only rise less than 1 1/2% per year for the next few years. So EVs not only help reduce CO2 emissions they can also reduce the impact of wild energy price fluctuations and we all know that wild energy price fluctuations always go in one direction.