Thread: ready for "final" layout advice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi Kent, Thanks for looking it over for me, I really appreciate it.

The hutch is just something we had laying around that I use for storage. It can definitely be moved.

However, here's my reasoning for its current position, and maybe that'll help us decide..

I figure a floor model like I have (an old Walker Turner) is pretty wobbly, and not an ideal candidate to be on wheels like my other tools. Therefore, I consider it stationary. So, I picked the one spot where I'd never have to move it because I have 8 feet to the left, and 8 feet to the right of the bit.

If I locate where the hutch is, I'll have about 4 feet to the left of the bit, and (with the door closed) as much room as I need to the right.

With those points, do you think I should move it?

If I do move it, might as well hook it up to the DC system right?
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    ........ picked the one spot where I'd never have to move it because I have 8 feet to the left, and 8 feet to the right of the bit...........I'll have about 4 feet to the left of the bit, and (with the door closed) as much room as I need to the right.
    Can't tell you what you need for what you'll be doing. But - if 4' one side and miles to the other side is limiting - whatcha gonna be drilling into, trees?

I tend to go to the DP often for nothing more than holes in stuff - not necessarily projects/furniture - just stuff. Fixtures, jigs, tool holders to mount to the wall, etc. - just stuff. I see maybe a lot of transport to/from the DP, that's all. Inconvenient, nothing more. My floor stand DP is not really as close as I would like it - have been toying with the idea of a second one - benchtop - to get it right by my main workstations. We'll see if that happens.

Just a thought. Simple to move later, as I noted earlier.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    Ok, you've won me over :-) I'll build a mobile base (I found an old post by Glenn where he added weight to the base to reduce tippy-ness of the DP) and move the drill press to where the hutch currently is located.

I think I'll also flip the door between the spaces to open into the left side of my shop (whereas now it opens towards the right side). This way, the drill press isn't kind of hidden behind the door which is often propped open for days on end.
    - Bob R.

Good luck. Setting up a shop is as much fun as actually doing something with it, IMO. SWMBO is convinced my motto is "If something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing."

Tell me how it turned out - each "day of Christmas Eve" you can find me in the Beer Hall at Reading Terminal Market, eating a cheesesteak for lunch, and downing the odd Yeungling. MIL lives in Chery Hill.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Blog Entries
    ok, a lot has happened since just a few weeks ago.

I finally came to terms with the fact that my "under the stairs" lumber storage is a crazy waste of space. Plus, to stud and insulate the walls back there with the lumber storage in the way was going to be a pita.

SO... Lumber storage under stairs is GONE.

Simultaneously, I decided that an 8 foot long homeowner-style workbench is not needed in a woodworking shop.

SO... My 8 footer is GONE too.

NOW... Under the stairs, there will be a 6 foot homeowner-style workbench. Fasteners, battery charging, general tool boxes etc. This will be my "figure stuff out" type of area.

Anyways, that frees up a lot of space.

----
    ALSO... I decided that with all my recent hard work insulating the entire shop, that a door between the spaces is just in the way.

SO, the door is gone.

AND, the other 4 foot opening between the sides of the shop.. that was previosly enclosed with a wall... GONE.

SO... I now have an 8 foot opening between the two sides of the shop, with just a 4 inch post in the middle. Much more open.

---
    All these changes allowed me to skip the planer-on-mobile-cart-in-a-mini-garage idea, and give the planer its own dedicated home. The outfeed of the planer will lead to the table saw outfeed so I'll have a nice place to stack pieces as I go.

---
    I also now have several options for the band saw, let me know what you would try first.

- In the corner, at an angle as shown in the attached layout. Since it's on wheels, I can pull it out a little bit if cutting something very long.

- Anywhere else you think would be a good spot.

-------

Any other suggestions or comments?

THANKS!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Bob R.