Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft putting unwanted software on my computer

Microsoft putting unwanted software on my computer

I just recently purchased a new Windows 11 computer. No real problems there, I got everything copied over.

Then I received a notice from the Microsoft Store that it had installed a program on my computer - a program that I didn't want and had never even heard of. I was quite upset by this. I don't know what gives Microsoft the idea that they should install random programs on people's computers.

It took me a bit to figure out how to turn this off, but I was just flabbergasted that anyone could think this was a good idea. The only thing I can think of is that the companies who make the software pay Microsoft for each download from the Microsoft Store.

Anyway, wanted to let others know of this. To turn it off, you go to the Microsoft Store and turn off app updates.

Mike

[Some additional info on how to turn this off. First, you have to open the Store App, not go to the Microsoft store on your browser. Log in. Then click on your picture or whatever you use for your account. It will be to the right of the search bar. That opens up a pull-down menu and the last item is "App Settings". Click on that. The first item in the next page is App Updates. Turn that off.
    It took me a while to figure that out because the Microsoft Store was not updating an app that's already on my computer - it was installing a new program.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 05-26-2022 at 3:09 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike,

Thanks for the heads up.

I have been running Win 11 since early December. It seems as though other companies are doing it too. I just put Garmin Express on this computer yesterday to get an update map load on our GPS. Garmin automatically selected auto updates. I have noticed apps/programs that I have loaded on this computer will setup their software with auto updates when the software is initially installed.

I want updates but I want to do it at my decision and timing not theirs. I worked with software updates for 34 years professionally. I never wanted to be the first to install updates or modifications and I never wanted to be the last. The first always find the bugs and the last catches grief for being tardy.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-26-2022 at 5:37 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Mike,

Thanks for the heads up.

I have been running Win 11 since early December. It seems as though other companies are doing it too. I just put Garmin Express on this computer yesterday to get an update map load on our GPS. Garmin automatically selected auto updates. I have noticed apps/programs that I have loaded on this computer will setup their software with auto updates when the software is initially installed.

I want updates but I want to do it at my decision and timing not theirs. I worked with software updates for 34 years professionally. I never wanted to be the last to install updates or modifications and I never wanted to be the last. The first always find the bugs and the last catches grief for being tardy.
    ?? you don't want to be last or last?

OOOOPS! Thanks! I'll correct that!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 05-26-2022 at 5:39 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    What was the App (program) that was installed?

A recent update turned off the random scenery photos that showed up during startup on my windows 11. It took some time to figure out how to turn that feature back on.

One thing that you have to understand, you don't own any of the software nor operating system on your computer. Microsoft or Apple own those items. They can pretty much make changes and cease support at anytime with little notice.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post

A recent update turned off the random scenery photos that showed up during startup on my windows 11. It took some time to figure out how to turn that feature back on.

One thing that you have to understand, you don't own any of the software nor operating system on your computer. Microsoft or Apple own those items. They can pretty much make changes and cease support at anytime with little notice.
    I don't remember exactly, Lee. I uninstalled it as soon as I found it. It was some type of video editor - probably a simple one that could be used for TikTok videos.

I do a small amount of video editing but I use Adobe Premiere.

I understand the relationship with Microsoft but I still don't want them putting software on my computer without my permission. I was able to turn that function off but it should never have been done in the first place.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Microsoft putting unwanted crap on computers, gee, where've I heard THAT before!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I just recently purchased a new Windows 11 computer. No real problems there, I got everything copied over.

Then I received a notice from the Microsoft Store that it had installed a program on my computer - a program that I didn't want and had never even heard of. I was quite upset by this. I don't know what gives Microsoft the idea that they should install random programs on people's computers.

It took me a bit to figure out how to turn this off, but I was just flabbergasted that anyone could think this was a good idea. The only thing I can think of is that the companies who make the software pay Microsoft for each download from the Microsoft Store.

Anyway, wanted to let others know of this. To turn it off, you go to the Microsoft Store and turn off app updates.

Mike

[Some additional info on how to turn this off. First, you have to open the Store App, not go to the Microsoft store on your browser. Log in. Then click on your picture or whatever you use for your account. It will be to the right of the search bar. That opens up a pull-down menu and the last item is "App Settings". Click on that. The first item in the next page is App Updates. Turn that off.
    It took me a while to figure that out because the Microsoft Store was not updating an app that's already on my computer - it was installing a new program.]
    I don't mean to be rude, but have you purchased a "smart" phone in the last 10 years? Not only does it have a bunch of junk apps I don't want but I can't actually completely remove them from my phone without rooting it and installing my own OS rom.

I do agree with you though, it takes me about 5 minutes to install Windows 10 or Windows 11 on reasonable fast hardware then another 3 - 4 hours to make the darned OS usable. I have absolutely no interest in putting all my private files on OneDrive for Microsoft to peruse at their pleasure! I do believe that their logic is that the cell phone manufactures and carriers are getting away with it so why shouldn't they.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 05-27-2022 at 1:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post

That's something that few are aware of, Lee. When you shell out $$$ for Proprietary software, you're not buying the software, you're buying a license to use the software. Microsoft, Adobe or whoever still own the software, they've licensed you to use it. There's a difference. Having defacto monopolies are a good thing for some of us.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 05-27-2022 at 7:23 AM.

I am a retired Microsoft guy, and also hate the bloatware. I have not reviewed the Windows 11End User License Agreement but expect that it is similar to previous versions that include language that gives them the right to install anything they want on your computer.

It stinks, but it seems every tech company has similar strategies. In the home printer category some printers will not print if you are using non-OEM ink. There are also logic bombs that brick the machine after a specific number of months.

My signature here at one time.
    “I still miss DOS. When you knew what was on your computer, who put it there and what it did.”
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Consider switching to Linux. Easy to use, can almost perfectly mimic Windows or Mac and is much less contaminated with crap. -Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Pollack View Post
    Consider switching to Linux. Easy to use, can almost perfectly mimic Windows or Mac and is much less contaminated with crap. -Howard
    I tried Linux but decided to stick with Microsoft Windows.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Pollack View Post
    I run a Open Media Vault server (Ubuntu Linux) box for storage, Plex, Home Assistant, backups and what ever else I can shove into a container. It is many times more stable than Windows for these server type functions and is running on my outdated old workstation and is never even close to making the old hardware sweat. I love it!

I run PfSense as a firewall which is built on FrreeBSD (BSD Unix) and it is a million times better than the Linksys, TP-Link, Netgear, Asus, etc. home routers/firewalls.

But it is pretty much impossible to get away from Windows when I am a software engineer centered around the Microsoft stack. If I want to run pretty much application software Wine and its many branches really does not cut it. Wine will run simple software without a problem but anything with any complexity was never stable for me.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 05-28-2022 at 2:32 AM.

Linux has gotten better and better in the last decade.

I wouldn't have ever said this before, but it really is a drop in replacement for Windows at this point, unless you need some really special Windows only software.

I have two hard separate hard drives on the computer I recently built -- one dedicated to windows, and another larger one for Linux. I almost never log into Windows any more, though I have the option to do so if needed.

As much as possible, I avoid using Windows and storing any personal information on my Windows install. It's basically just spyware and bloatware at this point, intended to cater to, and take advantage of unsophisticated users.