Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is there such a thing as a reasonable cost saw set?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    IF the OP wants one of mine...I just need an address to send one to him. No biggie....
    Cool offer Steven. Kudos! . I missed the fact that the OP is in AK. I could see that putting a limit on the local used market.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Cool offer Steven. Kudos! . I missed the fact that the OP is in AK. I could see that putting a limit on the local used market.
    Look again Glenn, Scott is in Alaska, Aaron is in Vancouver Canada.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    HI -

We've got a saw set in prototype stages right now....

I would be interested in what y'all feel is a "reasonable" price. I think it's unlikely that a decent saw set will ever get made again (unless by a small firm such as ourselves) as most production saws have impulse hardened teeth, and are not really re-sharpenable. The demand is just not there to attract a volume manufacturer.

Right now - our estimated price is in the $75 range (lots of tooling).

Used saw sets are not that hard to find (at least in North America) and can be had for a few dollars to just shy of $100.

Cheers -

Rob

(in the the last (hopefully) 2 weeks of a two-month lockdown.....)
    I would buy a quality new saw set for $75.

What is the size range(s)? I have saws ranging from 20 TPI to 4.5 TPI. Swappable hammers? I lucked into a 42X for < $50. As Scott said, if easily calibrated and accurate covering the size range then $75 = Contented.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Interesting that Stewie. I have a bunch of #77s and was not aware that there were different size hammers. My understanding has been that the smallest teeth the #77 dealt with was about 12 tpi, which is why I grind them down.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek; attached is an article that covers the 2 different sized hammers featured on the Eclipse # 77 Saw Sets.

http://benchblog.com/2013/12/eclipse-77-saw-sets/

regards Stewie;

I am a contributor to the sky high prices on the Stanley 42x. I bought one in really good condition with the original box and instruction sheet on eBay. Based on the lack of wear on the hammer and anvil, the saw set appears not to have been used very much. Even though the price was high, I was pleased to get it. I have an engineer/machinist friend who might be able to make a hammer with a narrower nose. The instruction sheet mentions that they were available back in the day.

For those who wonder if I got a different model without realizing it, mine has 42X cast into the handle on the underneath side.

“What this country needs is a good 5 cent cigar” and and a good $75 saw set. It would be ok if the saw set came from Canada.

The only fault I found with purchasing a highly used 42x is the original hammer springs tend to soften over time. Replacement springs are available.

https://secondchancesawworks.bigcart...no-42x-saw-set

Stewie;

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    The only fault I found with purchasing a highly used 42x is the original hammer springs tend to soften over time. Replacement springs are available.

https://secondchancesawworks.bigcart...no-42x-saw-set

Stewie;
    One set of the replacement springs was purchased for one of my saw sets. In my opinion, if the old springs are working, don't change them out. The new springs require more effort to set a tooth. Also, the new hammer spring needed to be trimmed a bit to allow the hammer to fully reach the anvil.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

The 42X takes out almost all, or at least the vast majority, of human error. For those that don't know, it has a decent sized plunger that grabs the saw plate, holding it in a consistent position, before it engages the tooth.

I used a 42W for decades before I ever knew anything about a 42X. The 42W didn't have the plunger. I had to stone teeth a lot more back then, than I do now since getting the 42X's. No doubt part of that is experience, but with a hand somewhat tired from filing all the teeth, that grabbing plunger is a welcome thing to have. I set most of the time after filing the teeth.

I don't see the benefit of any new design that doesn't include some type of grabbing mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    One set of the replacement springs was purchased for one of my saw sets. In my opinion, if the old springs are working, don't change them out. The new springs require more effort to set a tooth. Also, the new hammer spring needed to be trimmed a bit to allow the hammer to fully reach the anvil.

jtk
    Fair call Jim. But if you read the sellers brief, based on feedback a design change was made to the outer replacement spring to address the issue you raised.

After selling out the original run I took the opportunity to make improvements based on feedback. The inner, smaller spring is untouched but the outer spring is 25% to help with return rate and resistance. The size and installation remains the same
    regards Stewie;

Blog Entries
    Fair call Jim. But if you read the sellers brief, based on feedback a design change was made to the outer replacement spring to address the issue you raised.

regards Stewie;
    Thanks Stewie,

This may have been missed or it may have taken place after my purchase. In any case the old springs are still in the shop and may be used or the new springs adjusted. It may also be the local Wilco hardware has springs in their bins that will serve well for this.

jtk

Rob, depending upon which currency you're quoting, it would sound reasonable. I still have a balance left on my gift card .......
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Blog Entries

Derek; attached is an article that covers the 2 different sized hammers featured on the Eclipse # 77 Saw Sets.

http://benchblog.com/2013/12/eclipse-77-saw-sets/

regards Stewie;
    Thanks Stewie

I used one of the red versions today. It did a good job on a 15tpi dovetail saw.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Thanks Stewie

I used one of the red versions today. It did a good job on a 15tpi dovetail saw.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Appreciate the feedback Derek.

regards Stewie.