Thread: Shaper vs oscillating spindle sander?

Shaper vs oscillating spindle sander?

What's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    What's the difference?
    A shaper is a super powered router essentially. More capable in many aspects but less versatile.

A spindle sander is used for sanding inside curves

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    A shaper is a super powered router essentially. More capable in many aspects but less versatile.

A spindle sander is used for sanding inside curves
    Less versatile? You have a different shaper than I do. Tilting spindle, feeder to easily climb cut, ER32 collets to handle anything that resembles a router bit or endmill up to 3/4" plus, sliding table, tenoning table, 1 1/4" spindles and 30mm spindles, mount a whole cabinet stack at one time, use Euro insert tooling, heads that have advanced cutter geometry, much gentler cutter angles, many more cutting blades, advanced hold down methods, much larger jig capacity, much quieter, incredible power, ability to swap out spindles and collets, ability to cut in reverse, much larger work table, mass, fence with mcro adjustments, fence with safety bars to surround the cutter, above and below and in fence dust collection. Stomana Hickman T1002S Sliding Table Tilting spindle shaper sold in US by Laguna with Baldor motor and GeFuji Mini VFD.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    What's the difference?
    The shaper, or spindle moulder, is a machine that utilizes larger diameter, metal cutters, to perform a wide variety of tasks in wood working .A shaper has the cutters set at fixed height determined by the operator.
    A oscillating spindle sander will operate at lower RPM's, uses a drum/mandrel, of which sandpaper sleeves are affixed. The spindle, or sanding drum rotates, as well as goes up and down.
    Both have a spindle that protrudes through the surface of a table, but after that there are very few similarities. Both are very valuable machines in any work shop.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    The shaper, or spindle moulder, is a machine that utilizes larger diameter, metal cutters, to perform a wide variety of tasks in wood working .A shaper has the cutters set at fixed height determined by the operator.
    A oscillating spindle sander will operate at lower RPM's, uses a drum/mandrel, of which sandpaper sleeves are affixed. The spindle, or sanding drum rotates, as well as goes up and down.
    Both have a spindle that protrudes through the surface of a table, but after that there are very few similarities. Both are very valuable machines in any work shop.

And to make things more confusing I use my shaper as a spindle sander although it doesn't oscillate ..........Rod.

Guard in Position.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    And to make things more confusing I use my shaper as a spindle sander although it doesn't oscillate ..........Rod.

Guard in Position.jpg
    Is that this guy Rod? https://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-U...ffix-oxid.html
    My spindle sander is a bit of a junker, this may be a good option. Any cons besides non oscillating?
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Guard in Position.jpg
    I didn't want to go there right off the bat.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Is that this guy Rod? https://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-U...ffix-oxid.html
    My spindle sander is a bit of a junker, this may be a good option. Any cons besides non oscillating?
    Yes, I have 2 spindles. Remember that they are 30mm bore however I believe an American tooling manufacturer also makes them?

The only issue is the non oscillation, for me they work fine...........Rod.

Yes, I have 2 spindles. Remember that they are 30mm bore however I believe an American tooling manufacturer also makes them?

The only issue is the non oscillation, for me they work fine...........Rod.
    Nice, I have a spare 30mm spindle with its name on it! Thanks
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Amana makes one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Nice, I have a spare 30mm spindle with its name on it! Thanks
    Jeff, measure your spindle to make sure you have enough height....Rod