Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Maple Thinline Telecaster

Simply gorgeous, stunning work! Keep it coming.

Cheers,

Seth
    Play drums!

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Dolcourt View Post
    Simply gorgeous, stunning work! Keep it coming.

Cheers,

Seth
    Thanks Seth!

I've been following your snare drum build. That's impressive. I really like the vented shell. Is that something original to your work or have others done this style?

Peace,
    Mark
    "Thought that is no longer limited brings experience that is no longer limited" Marianne Williamson.

OMG!

It is nothing short of a work of art.

What does the future hold for these two guitars you have so painstakingly documented?
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

Hi, Mark,

That snare was the first to branch out with decoration of any kind. All the other snares I've done have been straight forward staves, relying on the wood's figure to do the speaking. I like the freedom of "more is more", making a project with a bossy, "look at me" feel is pretty thrilling. Whether using copper metal, or perhaps a copper metal coating paint product (Sculpt Nouveau brand, found at www.artchemicals.com), I can fancy doing more patina decoration.

I'm visualizing a Telecaster finished with copper, and patina greens and blues...

Cheers,

Seth
    Play drums!

Just brilliant !
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Mark,

Can you tell us what your buffing out process is? Is that wax in the picture or some kind of polishing compound?

Thanks for sharing your posts. Very educational and inspirational. Keep them coming!!

Jack

More Pics 01-28-10

Sorry it's taken me so long to upload pics. I've been slammed at work...good problem to have I guess. I took these in the edit suite with less than desireable light and photography skills, but they show some nice detail...the parts that are in focus anyway.

My friend, who's an excellent photographer and has all the soft boxes and strobes, is going to help me with photos when I get my other 4 builds completed.

Peace,
    Mark
    "Thought that is no longer limited brings experience that is no longer limited" Marianne Williamson.

Oh, that's right purty.
    I saw your web site documenting the Texas Tele build. You should do that with all your builds. great stuff!!

More Pics...

A few more angles. I waited a bit for the sunlight to fade some to pick up better reflections.

Peace,
    Mark
    Last edited by Mark Crenshaw; 01-28-2010 at 6:27 PM.

Boy, howdy! That's gorgeous. Now, I heard the sound file *before* you finished it, I think you need to post a sound file now that it's done. Ya know, as an A/B comparison.....
    Play drums!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    OMG!

It is nothing short of a work of art.

What does the future hold for these two guitars you have so painstakingly documented?

Thanks Greg. For now, they'll become part of my personal collection. I guess in the right situation, I'd sell them. I'm not looking to though.

Peace,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Christopher View Post
    Just brilliant !
    Thanks Keith. How's the LP build coming along?

Peace,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hogoboom View Post
    Mark,

Can you tell us what your buffing out process is? Is that wax in the picture or some kind of polishing compound?

Thanks for sharing your posts. Very educational and inspirational. Keep them coming!!

Jack
    Hi Jack. Thanks.

My process is pretty much standard. I used 600. then 800, then 1500 during wet sanding. Then I used the small Ryobi buffer you see in the pics. It works great for small jobs like guitars. It's easy to control has just the right RPM.

The can in thepics is buffing compound. I haven't used any wax or polish on the guitar. The compound was a few years old and didn't have the moisture content it should so it was a bit of a struggle to get on the surface but it worked out okay.

I then hand apply a swirl remover from Meguires. It fills the swirls left by the buffing pad. Used to use a product called Liquid Ebony made by Kleen Brite, but htyeir out of business now. That was the best glaze I've ever used.

Peace,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Scott View Post
    Oh, that's right purty.
    I saw your web site documenting the Texas Tele build. You should do that with all your builds. great stuff!!

Thanks Anthony. Someday when www.crenshawcustomguitars.com goes live, I will be rebuilding all of my BLOGs there. Should have a 6 or 8 by then.

Peace,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Dolcourt View Post
    Boy, howdy! That's gorgeous. Now, I heard the sound file *before* you finished it, I think you need to post a sound file now that it's done. Ya know, as an A/B comparison.....

Hi Seth. Thanks! I hope to do some recording this weekend. I'm curious how the finish may have affected this guitar. My guess is it will be minimal, but you never know.

Peace,
    Mark