Thread: How much might this cost to make

How much might this cost to make

Looking to make a 9 drawer Dresser that is 5 feet in length, and 20 or so inches in depth. Original Dresser is the same style and made out of Red Elm. The old one, was made back in 1959, and worn out beyond repair. Any clue as to how much it would cost just for the Red Elm Lumber for this project ? Can't find any in stock

you should list you location in your profile so people can direct you better. No sense sending you to a supplier in Ft. Lauderdale if you live in Seattle.

Blog Entries
    It will depend greatly on where you are located and what type of wood you intend to use. I'm not sure where you might get red elm, since most elm has been killed off by Dutch Elm disease.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Elm is not a common choice here in Illinois. All things considered, it might be worth considering other wood species. Maybe your area has some local mills with it.

Good luck with your project!
    Chris

You'll probably have to buy elm from a local sawmill, if it is native to your area. It will probably be green, and you'll have to dry it your self.
    Most of the larger lumberyards don't carry elm, because there is little demand for it.
    You might try contacting Woodmizer and see if anyone in your area has a Woodmizer sawmill, and call them to see if they have any elm. Also try Woodplanet,or the lumber exchange at Woodweb.
    You will probably need about 65 board feet, which may be too small an order for a major lumber dealer.
    Anyway, good luck with the search! I hope you find some.
    Are you sure that the existing piece is completely worn out? I do furniture repair, and it's rare to see a solid wood piece that is beyond repair.
    Rick

Whatever wood you choose, just throwing out general dimensions don’t do us a lot of good. You know what it looks like and how it is designed. Do a takeoff of material, add in a waste factor, and figure out trial bdft. Basics.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Herzog View Post
    Elm is not a common choice here in Illinois. All things considered, it might be worth considering other wood species. Maybe your area has some local mills with it.

Good luck with your project!
    Chris
    Maybe not a common choice, but it is on the list of wood choices at Whitacre's Furniture in Hudson, IL. They sell Amish made furniture and the Amish have their own sawmills.

I cut elm occasionally but it's dead when I cut it and often somewhat spalted. I don't know about red elm, I think that what we have around here is called American Elm unless I'm mixed up.

So the cost of lumber if you find it may be $300. Add other materials and triple it for labor and you are in the ballpark. Still interested?

Or consider Rick's comment about repair, even major repair.

Hickory and Oak Sawmill in Decatur, MI usually has both red & white elm, current price is showing as $3.25/bf for 4/4 and $4.00/bf for 8/4. Don't know if Steve is set up to ship--but he cuts & kilns all his own wood. Worth a call. L. L. Johnson in Charlotte, MI stocks 4/4 red elm, currently just under $3.00/bf for 100 bf & up. They can deliver in about 150 mile radius, or ship LTL. Both are good quality shops--Johnson's is huge while H & O is a great small business.
    earl

Maybe a pic so we can see the style as this likely has some impact on cost and time. A serpentine red elm high boy with carved pediments and custom brasses (not sure such a thing ever existed) definitely more costly than a simple Shaker style dresser. Aren’t we including the cost of your time? Are you constrained to “exactly” duplicate the prior (beloved?) piece or do you have discretion to modify the design for style, efficiency of build, materials, etc? Are you asking what you should charge a client to do this or just how costly the materials would be for a personal passion project? When I am doing “passion projects” I always have to factor in the unnecessary new tool purchase modifier term...

I just purchased 1400bdft of red elm from my supplier here in Missouri. It’s also called slippery elm in some parts. It should be available from lumber suppliers that cater to furniture and cabinet makers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    So the cost of lumber if you find it may be $300. Add other materials and triple it for labor and you are in the ballpark. Still interested?

Or consider Rick's comment about repair, even major repair.
    Labor being a multiple of materials triggers me.