Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dust Bin Sensor Completed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks for the diagram, Rod. Much appreciated!

I ordered the parts a few minutes ago. The timer board will take awhile as "all three" vendors (which I suspect is really only one vendor) are currently "on vacation" but the sensor and power supply are readily available.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-21-2019 at 9:47 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Thanks for the diagram, Rod. Much appreciated!

I ordered the parts a few minutes ago. The timer board will take awhile as "all three" vendors (which I suspect is really only one vendor) are currently "on vacation" but the sensor and power supply are readily available.
    You're welcome Jim, have fun....................Rod.

Nice!

Thanks, Larry & Rod.

BTW, I remember seeing a thread once where a guy built one of these but also added an audible buzzer.

It should be pretty simple to add that, just find the right 12v buzzer to use, and make sure you have enough 12v current.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 04-21-2019 at 12:23 AM.

I have my parts now other than a light, so I just have to get on with building things when I have a "copious free moment". Alan, good suggestion on the buzzer.
    --

Ok, I've physically assembled everything successfully nothing blew up once I applied power. The IR sensor seems to be sensing when I play with it. So...

Larry, you mentioned calibration of the IR sensor. Perhaps I missed it, but how does one do that. Also what are your recommended settings for the circuit board. I downloaded the "how to set" material off the EBay listing, but will appreciate your thoughts on how best to arrange things based on your experience with the solution.

Thanks in advance!

---
    I had a box lying about to put things in.

IMG_4221.jpg IMG_4222.jpg
    --

I ordered all the parts on Amazon, more expensive but seemed liked quicker delivery. The sensor was delivered today, other parts are on the way. It looks to pick up objects 5 inches away. You can adjust this by moving it along the threads but that will only give you 1 or 2 inches of play. Detecting objects 5 inches from the top of a barrel seems good to me.

I am also confused by the settings on the circuit board. I am not sure which mode I need to only trigger the light when repetitive detection is encountered.

Hi Jim, to calibrate the sensor I adjusted the potentiometer so that the sensor wouldn't trigger until my hand was as close as possible to the sensor.

Here are the instructions I wrote for programming the timer...........Regards, Rod.

1) Apply power to the timer, display indicates “00”
    2) Press and hold “SET” button until it displays “P1”
    3) Press “SET” once to go to “P2” (On delay mode)
    4) Repeatedly press “ADD” key to go to “-1” (time range)
    5) Press “SET” once to go to “t1”
    6) Press “ADD” to go to “10” (Time setting in seconds). If you go too far press “ENTER/-“ to subtract from the setting.
    7) Press “SET”, the timer will now countdown to “00” and the red LED will illuminate and you will hear the relay click.
    8) Remove power from the timer, re-apply power and watch it count down and operate.

Thank you, Rod! (And thanks for adding that to this thread, too!)
    --

You're welcome, I'm in Virginia enjoying the sunshine and trees with leaves........Rod.

Thanks Rod.

IMG_0455.jpg

I was thinking of getting the parts and making one. How well does it work?

Thanks,
    Bob

Bob, I will be installing in the barrel this weekend, keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hinden View Post
    I was thinking of getting the parts and making one. How well does it work?

Thanks,
    Bob

Bob,

Sorry for the delay, the "boss" had other plans this weekend. I completed my setup. I have 1 issue I have to work thru. While not in the bin the sensor picks up my hand at 5 inches, while in the bin the sensor picks up the dust pile at 10 inches. I don't see how to adjust this sensor. Perhaps I need a different sensor? I see some sensors online state adjustabilty from 0 - 30 cm.
    IMG_0484.jpgIMG_0483.jpgIMG_0497.jpgIMG_0499.jpgIMG_0500.jpgIMG_0501.jpgIMG_0503.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Carl View Post
    Bob,

Sorry for the delay, the "boss" had other plans this weekend. I completed my setup. I have 1 issue I have to work thru. While not in the bin the sensor picks up my hand at 5 inches, while in the bin the sensor picks up the dust pile at 10 inches. I don't see how to adjust this sensor. Perhaps I need a different sensor? I see some sensors online state adjustabilty from 0 - 30 cm.
    Adam,

Thanks, very helpful. I understand the delay :-)

Even at 10 inches not so bad. At least you know it's gets close to full.

I will continue to follow the thread and start collecting the parts and supplies. Will be a while before I have time to work on it, several other projects ahead of this.

Thanks,
    Bob

Can you see the pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hinden View Post
    Adam,

Thanks, very helpful. I understand the delay :-)

Even at 10 inches not so bad. At least you know it's gets close to full.

I will continue to follow the thread and start collecting the parts and supplies. Will be a while before I have time to work on it, several other projects ahead of this.

Thanks,
    Bob