Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help with a Type 12 Stanley #5 jack plane

Sam, if it were me looking for a #5 scrub, I’d roll the dice again on the big auction site. There are a number of #5s listed that have current bids well under $50 and one buy it now for $45. None of them at first glance look perfect, but you’re going to use it as a scrub plane. As long as the seller offers returns, what’s to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by J. Greg Jones View Post
    It looks like the OP has already decided on a refund, but that Lie-Nielsen iron is .095 thick, same as a Hock (3/32”) iron.
    LN are more like 1/8".

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hazelwood View Post
    LN are more like 1/8".
    Some, likely most, are, but not all. The blade pictured above is stamped .095”
    Last edited by J. Greg Jones; 03-31-2020 at 8:22 AM.

Hmmm....I MIGHT just have a spare 2" wide Stanley iron I could even send to the OP....and he could get by with using that thick chipbreaker with it....Hmm,mailing address?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Shankar View Post
    Derek and Stephen, I took your advice. And it took only 5 minutes for the seller to offer a refund. I will post my next question - whether to continue on this 'vintage plane' mission or go with a new Veritas plane (there are some important details to that question) - separately
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Hmmm....I MIGHT just have a spare 2" wide Stanley iron I could even send to the OP....and he could get by with using that thick chipbreaker with it....Hmm,mailing address?
    Steven, You may want to reread post #7, quoted above, unless of course you want to send Sam a blade to a plane for which he has already arranged for a refund from the original seller.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Perhaps....I used the refund from a snapped in half Diamond Edge DE6c ( by USPS, on a crack hidden by rust..) to buy another No.6c base...salvaged what I could out of the pile of rust, and broken handles...and a No.6c was reborn, and put to use....

I tend to keep a box of spare parts, now...just in case the next plane may need something....or, if someone else may need a part that is in the box. And, it is usually sent out on my dime.
    Just checked...i have two 2" wide irons. One is even a Stanley Victor....the other came from Home Depot, back when they sold irons for planes...
    Spare irons 2.JPG
    Spare irons 1.JPG
    Red circle shows the logo on the Victor iron....there are no pitting on either iron, backs are flat, lengthwise they are straight.
    take your pick....
    Last edited by steven c newman; 03-31-2020 at 3:37 PM.

I had asked Lie Nielsen if their irons will fit the old Stanleys a few years ago and they told me no. They said their irons are too thick and the tab has a hard time moving the iron and if it does it only engages briefly. The said sometimes on Type 11 or later the tabs are almost long enough but it is hit and miss. I realize the OP has already sent the plane back but FWIW

Have just boxed up a Stanley Victor 2" iron to send to the OP...he can use the chipbreaker with that...will mail it out tomorrow..

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Have just boxed up a Stanley Victor 2" iron to send to the OP...he can use the chipbreaker with that...will mail it out tomorrow..
    To be clear - the seller offered a refund, but if Steven's iron solves the problem I will just decline the refund.

I might suggest using a cap iron/chip breaker from the earlier Stanleys as well. The distance from the slot to the end of the cap iron can be an issue even with the earlier versions. Just a thought and the cap irons are pretty plentiful and not too expensive.

Iron has been shipped, and will arrive this coming Friday....

In case anyone wanted closure: Steven's plane iron did not fix the issue, which appears to be an improper chipbreaker. Thanks again for everyone's help.

I have a spare Stanley chip breaker if you want to give that a try.