Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking to purchase a Powermatic 66

that is way! to much $$ $500-600 is a fair price.

The 1st Unisaw is a good deal. Thats a 3000.00 saw and looks to be in great shape. It looks, from the pictures at least, to be plug and play.

Maybe the Grizzly owners can chime in but I think the Unisaw is much better than that model Grizzly.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    The 1st Unisaw is a good deal. Thats a 3000.00 saw and looks to be in great shape. It looks, from the pictures at least, to be plug and play.

Maybe the Grizzly owners can chime in but I think the Unisaw is much better than that model Grizzly.
    I had a 1970 Delta Unisaw that I fully restored so I know how they are built. Many would argue that it is a better machine than the current Unisaws. I sold it and purchased at G1023RL. It is every bit the saw the Uni was. In fact it is a better saw because it has a riving knife and a dust shroud around the blade. I have never regretted my decision. The large handwheels make the Uni feel like a toy. After a year the tilt and evelation are super smooth and move without a struggle. I don't believe the used PM66 and UNI's are worth the $1000 + price tags they list for because they are outdated. That is an opinion from a person that has owned the Grizzly and a UNI. I'm sure many that have not owned both will chime in and tell me I am wrong.
    Last edited by Cary Falk; 04-16-2012 at 4:23 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I'm sure many that have not owned both will chime in and tell me I am wrong.

You are wrong...

Seriously I place a big premium on riving knives and good dust collection and the 66 and Uni get bested by the 1023 on both counts. I still think people in this market (assuming they will accept no riving knife) should be looking for a PM72 or Delta 12/14 these are heavier better built saws than the 66 and Uni and often sell for cheaper.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    I'm kind of liking that 1st Unisaw. That's the kind of used tool I like is something like that.

No riving knife but it might be set up for a splitter.

Asking Price is $1500 or best offer. I think he's in the ballpark. Can probably be had for a little less than that.

PHM
    Last edited by Paul McGaha; 04-16-2012 at 4:37 PM.