I’m all for buying locally made products, the only issue is that they may be lower quality, and/or more expensive.

We all remember the American automobile of the 1970’s, pure garbage.

What caused American manufacturers to improve their product? Foreign made automobiles of better quality and greater fuel economy.

Isolation leads to stagnation.

A couple of years ago I spent considerable time looking for a North American made dustpan. I can’t remember if it was American or Canadian, however it was almost $30. It’s a great dustpan, and will last my lifetime.

That’s the issue, 10 years ago when my mother died I cleaned out her house, in it was a GE chromed kettle given to her as a wedding present before my father went to war.

At first I was thinking “what kind of a cheap character gives a kettle as a wedding present?”. Then I realized that with rationing and the economy in 39 that it would have represented perhaps several days of income. Today we can purchase several kettles with one hour of income.

That’s the thing, everything in my mother’s house was of very high quality and there were few items. Furniture, clothing, one TV, one radio.

We buy truckloads of stuff and send it to the landfill at the same rate.

I don’t see any appetite by Americans or Canadians to save for 3 or 4 years to buy a TV.

So no, we won’t be buying made in NA items exclusively, nor should we as it will damage our countries.