Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hammer A3-31 Hinge side adjustment

Question Hammer A3-31 Hinge side adjustment

Hi all. Any Hammer owners out there that have experience making bed adjustments? A bit specific of a request I realize. I ask because my infeed table is way out of wack and I am over on the hinge side trying to make some adjustments, but am finding it un-cooperative.

It is a new generation machine where the beds lift simultaneously, so the hinge side adjustments are made with 2, 5mm allen screws that operate similarly to the temple bolts on the other (non-hinge) side. Problem is I need to lower the table (speaking long axis wise) down towards the cutter block - I thought backing off the closer screw and advancing the rear screw would pitch it forward into parallel with the outfeed, but for some reason when I raise the rear screw (even with the nearer screw backed off) it simply raises the whole bed instead of pitching it forward. Looking at the screw placements, it actually makes sense because neither is past the half way point of the bed length (fulcrum of balance). So how can I pitch it forward without somehow pushing down on the front of the table... an imprecise and difficult feat I would imagine.

As a side note, I would like to vent that hammer tech support, while at times and under guidance of certain techs has been ok, has also at times been horrible. Didn't listen to my problem, just spouted rhetoric and then tried to make it seem like it was impossible my jointer was out of whack as it was, then started vaguely explaining adjustments that made no sense because it wasn't the model of my machine.

Do any other owners also find the Hammer literature on adjustments really lacking? Why wouldn't they include such an important adjustment as hinge side (which is a part of over-all) bed adjustments?

Anyways, my support disquiet aside, if anyone has experience or advice on this I would appreciate it a lot.

Where are you located? Maybe someone close could assist...I am waiting on an A3-31 and your post is a bit disconcerting...

Jim
    "Your beliefs don't make you a better person...your behavior does."

Rod Sheridan has an A3-31 and is very knowledgeable about it. He answered dozens of my questions since I am in the evaluation phase.

I have the first generation A3-31, so I can't be of much help. However, there are PDFs of a user manual and a setup guide for your machine on the Hammer site: http://www.hammerusa.com/us-us/produ...ownloads.html?

I just finished wrestling with bed adjustments on my 1st gen A3 31, but did not have to touch the hinge side. There were instructions on the felder/hammer web site. The two big disappointments on the Hammer were the flimsy fence and the poor documentation. I think we are stuck with the fence, but would have thought the documentation would be better by now. I recall getting a call from one of the sales people shortly after I received mine several years ago asking if he could bring a prospective customer to look at mine. I said sure and told him I had not run much through it yet. When we cranked it up for the demo it sniped like crazy and the sales guy spent 15 minutes on the phone with tech support trying to figure out how to fix it. I don't think the prospective customer was too impressed

Thanks everyone for the responses.

there are PDFs of a user manual and a setup guide for your machine on the Hammer site:
    I've looked through everything I can find (including the docs on that link) and unless I'm missing it, there are no instructions for the new generation machines as far as hinge side adjustments.

My intentions are not to scare people out of buying the Hammer, nor to trash on them. I've simply found some issues that I am hoping to work out with as little blood pressure rise as possible.

With that said, I did discover another issue that I'm curious if others feel is worth talking serious with the Hammer people about.
    The infeed bed has a bow (across the short axis) right in front of the cutter block (not a good place at all). I measured the gap with feelers and its actually 8 thou! That's with pressure on the opposing side of the straight edge. With the straightedge resting its 4 thou on both sides. But with a board in the right position, it will experience the 8 thou difference, which i've confirmed with pencil marks on a board does affect the cut (the board is essentially tilted as in enters the cutterhead). Does this seem within tolerance? I sure hope not. I just have to decide whether I should ignore it, try some home remedy at flattening, ask for a new bed, or (pray not) a new machine. I see a scary rabbit hole here!

DSCN0545.jpgYou can also see here the hinge side all exposed. It actually where the cast iron meets that gray metal that the screws rest. The bolts that tighten it all up can be seen in the shadows down to the left.
    DSCN0548.jpg

Is the discrepancy in the table showing up in your results when you plane a board? If so how much of discrepancy are you measuring?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    I just finished wrestling with bed adjustments on my 1st gen A3 31, but did not have to touch the hinge side. There were instructions on the felder/hammer web site. The two big disappointments on the Hammer were the flimsy fence and the poor documentation. I think we are stuck with the fence, but would have thought the documentation would be better by now. I recall getting a call from one of the sales people shortly after I received mine several years ago asking if he could bring a prospective customer to look at mine. I said sure and told him I had not run much through it yet. When we cranked it up for the demo it sniped like crazy and the sales guy spent 15 minutes on the phone with tech support trying to figure out how to fix it. I don't think the prospective customer was too impressed
    Did you fix the snipe issue?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Barrett View Post
    Did you fix the snipe issue?Jim
    Yup...the sales guy fixed it. The most recent problem required adjusting the infeed table and it was an easy fix. I was getting wedge shaped cross sections and after checking the relationship of the out feed table to the blades, figured it had to be the infeed table. The Oneway Multi Gauge comes in handy for this kind of stuff...also good for squaring up the fence.

Good to hear. I am looking forward to the J/P...using my hand planes to thickness rough stock is rewarding...but it is a lot of work!!!

Jim

Jim, are you getting the new quiet cutter head?

It seems to me that the links I provided above go to guides for the new generation machine. The pics all have the fence connected to the infeed end of the machine, not the outfeed, which is how my A3-31 is built. Or have there been three generations of the A3-31?

In the Setup Guide, in the link I provided above, it looks to me that pages 134-138 talk about how to adjust the hinge side of the outfeed table.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Jim, are you getting the new quiet cutter head?
    Yes along with the digital hand wheel....

Jim

Hi Tyler, the first thing I would do is check the table with a straight edge, not a ruler, which may not be straight.

Second I would contact Hammer and discuss this with them, rather than making adjustments..................Regards, Rod.

In the Setup Guide, in the link I provided above, it looks to me that pages 134-138 talk about how to adjust the hinge side of the outfeed table.
    That is not my model. In the pictures provided you'll notice the hinge is angled, mine is not. Very different system for adjustments I believe.

the first thing I would do is check the table with a straight edge, not a ruler, which may not be straight.
    I appreciate the point but it is a relatively new starrett rule from a 12" combo square, so it is straight (confirmed against another straight edge too).

I guess my biggest worry at this point isn't even adjusting the bed as much as it is deciding what to do with that bow. It does affect the cut. It takes more material off one side than the other... Does anyone else think this is unreasonable?

I suppose I really should call Hammer back, I've just gotten frustrated a couple of times dealing with their phone techs. I wasn't left believing they really wanted to help.

thanks for the responses,

Tk