Thread: OK, Who makes REALLY GOOD screwdrivers? Or, Apparently Craftsman is the new HF.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I don't really understand why all the bashing of craftsman screw drivers. I have some that have to be over 20 years old and they seem fine. There's even a set of craftsman screwdrivers at my local IKEA that people abuse daily to assemble their flat pack particle board furniture, and to my surprise, the tips were still functional though they look the tools look like they were tossed in a rock tumbler.

Maybe the newer batch of steel and hardening process has undergone some changes, but for the nit picky there's craftsman professional screw drivers...

Anyway, I have Klein screw drivers that are pretty good, but I can always rely on the old craftsman ones. I've found that screwdrivers are becoming a thing of the past in my garage for I can grab a 10.8V driver, add an extension if I want, and use any bit insert to do most jobs faster.

What interests me is the yankee style spiral ratchet driver. I'll wait till the price drops though.

BTW, I've had one instance of craftsman cream cheese and that was like a T-25 socket bit that appears that it wasn't hardened at all. One small hand twist on a Chrysler ignition coil bolt and the torx bit resembled a twisted finial.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Tsutsui View Post
    I don't really understand why all the bashing of craftsman screw drivers. I have some that have to be over 20 years old and they seem fine.
    Quality has changed significantly since you purchased your set. I have old (30+ yrs) and new Craftsman tools and there is no comparison in terms of fit & durability. I have a small set of Wiha drivers that are great. I use Wera BiTorsion bits for my impact driver (the Wiha stuff is too hard / prone to breakage IMO for impact use).