Thread: Delta 46-460 replacement switch

Delta 46-460 replacement switch

I have a Delta 46-460 type 1 that has been working great for me for 10 years. Yes, it does have the type one switch and needs to be blown out after every session. I am looking for a replacement on-off switch. So far all I have found is "discontinued part" notices. A few years ago someone posted a source for a replacement switch or alternative. I can't seem to find that post. Does anyone have information about where I might purchase a delta switch part # 5140059-14 or alternative that will fit in the same hole?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Williams View Post
    ...delta switch part # 5140059-14 or alternative that will fit in the same hole?
    I don't know where to get the right switch. When I had a fatal switch failure on an older drill press I bought a switch smaller than the original (but with sufficient capacity) and fabricated a plate to adapt the switch to the hole. Still working well 10 years later.

JKJ

I fixed my Delta lathe using John's method. I bought a metal outlet box and a light switch. Delta is horrible at supplying parts. If jet or Grizzly makes a clone to your lathe, I'm guessing their switch may work.

Thanks for the information John and Bill. The switch is still working but getting worse. I am thinking about taking it apart for a thorough cleaning, but thought it best to have a replacement handy in case taking it apart ruins it. I also thought about wiring it "always on" and using a remote emergency shutoff switch at the tailstock end for an on-off switch. I did that with my shop vac while waiting for delivery of a replacement switch. Dust must be hard on switches.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Williams View Post
    Thanks for the information John and Bill. The switch is still working but getting worse. I am thinking about taking it apart for a thorough cleaning, but thought it best to have a replacement handy in case taking it apart ruins it. I also thought about wiring it "always on" and using a remote emergency shutoff switch at the tailstock end for an on-off switch. I did that with my shop vac while waiting for delivery of a replacement switch. Dust must be hard on switches.
    Dust is a common problem - it can get between the contacts and prevent function but rarely damages anything.

The first think I do with any failed or intermittent switch is take it apart. I've fixed dozens that way except for a few that have seriously burned contacts or broken parts inside. Disassembly sometimes involves prying up metal tabs or drilling out rivets. After cleaning, I lub contacts and moving parts with dielectric (silicon grease).

JKJ

Paul, try this # 1-800-223-7278 it worked for me,Wally