Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shop Wood Floor Treatment

1. I epoxied with chips and clear coat my advance T&G OSB and it was the best thing I did. Glue drips pop right off after drying. Spills wipe up. I have a 24x32 shop I built and all I did was filled all the nail holes,joints and belt sanded the entire floor. The only issue is I did a minisplit a year after and I had cracks appearing around the 4x8 sheets as it pulled the moisture out. I went from 70/80% humidity to 40/45% in 24 hrs of turning it on. Not a big deal. It's been over 5 years no chipping of pealing yet.

Thanks, Michael, good information. When I see my floor, I'll know whether it needs sanding or not, but I won't be trying for as good a floor as you've got.
    Paul
    These words are my opinion, WYLION. Any resemblance to truth or fiction is accidental at best.
    "Truth lies dormant in our future history." ― Paul Lawrence LXXI

I installed a 'sleeper floor in my shop about one year ago . 3/4 plywood on 16'' centers. I found a deal on plywood used so I simply stained it the same color a bunch of it was already,works great.cheap,good traction and easy to role on. Mike.

But I already have a floor! I'm thinking now from these comments that any good sealer will work fine to keep stains and drips away (except that guy behind me on the left! )

I'm also thinking that I'll work the sealer in real good into the gap where the wall meets the floor. I'll be surprised if they've sealed that interface.
    Paul
    These words are my opinion, WYLION. Any resemblance to truth or fiction is accidental at best.

Exclamation Guys, you are sophisticated!

Interesting to read on mundane things, like flooring, from abroad.

My own basement shop's floor is a mere "standard" concrete slab painted with some kind of acrylic blue paint and looks perfect to me. No humidity, year around at 18-22 degrees Celsius.

Of course, I live in a more friendly weather than a number of you - but can you imagine how different it is when I read your concerns and ways to cope with them? Thanks guys, very interesting!

All the best.
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 10-16-2018 at 8:56 PM. Reason: typo, as usual...

Interesting to read on mundane things, like flooring, from abroad.
    Sophisticated because I've moved on from a rustic dirt-floored garage to a shop in a corner of a warehouse to a garage with a concrete floor so ragged that you could twist an ankle walking across it. Then I spent 30 years running a business where I had a shop that I never had time to work in because I wasn't one of the employees.

Now, I'm building my own personal shop. Sophisticated? I see what you mean, Osvaldo.
    Paul

I'd want something on the floor just to seal against dirt and keep the floor from turning that awful grey dinge wherever you walk the most. Urethane- water or oil, shellac, porch paint, anything to seal the wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    ... that awful grey dinge ...
    You said it right! I've seen that before, and I don't like it either.

I understand functionality, but I also think disorganization and sloppiness can come from being too "functional."
    Paul

When you have a "clean slate" to work with on a brand new from scratch shop, I'm very much in favor of making things "look nice" just because that can create a cheerful and welcoming feeling to the space beyond the joy from the activity itself. IE, if I was starting from scratch, my floor would be a lot nicer than the "bare" concrete with scattered anti-fatigue matts like I have now. At a minimum, it would be painted; ideally, it would be wood. Whatever you choose to do, at least it will be easy to accomplish in blank space!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

How about a snap together finished laminate flooring such as Pergo, easy to lay down, provides a fairly tough smooth surface, look good, just a thought.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    How about a snap together finished laminate flooring such as Pergo, easy to lay down, provides a fairly tough smooth surface, look good, just a thought.
    - very slick with sawdust on it
    - chips & scratches very easily (in a shop environment) & those show badly
    And personal opinion, if it looks like wood it should be wood, especially in a wood shop

12. Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    - very slick with sawdust on it
    - chips & scratches very easily (in a shop environment) & those show badly
    And personal opinion, if it looks like wood it should be wood, especially in a wood shop
    Second all of this. Especially the safety concern of laminate with sawdust on it. I've installed many thousands of feet of the stuff while I was contracting, and just the dust from installing it makes it a death trap. Woodshop level dust, at least w/o top notch collection, would not be a safe environment with lots of spinning blades etc.

Cheap short cuts of inexpensive wood would probably be about the same cost and much nicer, safer, and more durable. I'd just put some sealer and thinned down finish on the plywood and call it a day, its what I plan on my floor. Just don't get too much finish built up on there for the slippy reason...

Very good suggestions from all of you! Lots of "food for thought", and I'm still thinking!
    Paul