Thread: Which jointer SF W1741 or Griz G0593

Which jointer SF W1741 or Griz G0593

Which would you buy and why?

A Shop Fox SF W1741, 8" parallelogram adjustable bed, 3 HP motor, 4 HHS cutterhead. Selling price $886; or A Grizzly G0593, 8" with dovetail ways, 2 HP motor and a Spiral Cutterhead. Selling price $1069. (Everything else is about the same)

I guess the bottom line is, parallelogram adjustable beds, 3HP @ $886 vs 2HP spiral cutter, dovetail ways @ $1069.

I can't talk to the spiral cutterhead, although I've read a LOT of good about them. I have the Shop Fox 1741, and love it. Don't know for sure what a spiral cutterhead runs, but I imagine the price difference between the two would cover a good bit of the price if you got the 1741 and wanted to install one. Then you would have a 3 hp spiral cutterhead with the parallelogram beds.

Just looked. Grizzly sells the 8" shelix cutterhead for $349.
    Last edited by David Tiell; 10-11-2007 at 2:32 PM. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by David Tiell View Post
    I can't talk to the spiral cutterhead, although I've read a LOT of good about them. I have the Shop Fox 1741, and love it. Don't know for sure what a spiral cutterhead runs, but I imagine the price difference between the two would cover a good bit of the price if you got the 1741 and wanted to install one. Then you would have a 3 hp spiral cutterhead with the parallelogram beds.

Just looked. Grizzly sells the 8" shelix cutterhead for $349.
    Dave

If I get what your saying it might be worth getting the Fox 1741 at $886 and buying the cutter as an extra. So you'd have $886 + $349 = $1235 vs $1069 for the 2HP griz. That's $166 more for the whole shooting match plus I would have an extra cutterhead to boot. That makes some sense! I wonder if I could sell the HHS cutterhead to recoup some of my money? Do you think anyone would be interested in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Illi View Post
    Dave

If I get what your saying it might be worth getting the Fox 1741 at $886 and buying the cutter as an extra. So you'd have $886 + $349 = $1235 vs $1069 for the 2HP griz. That's $166 more for the whole shooting match plus I would have an extra cutterhead to boot. That makes some sense! I wonder if I could sell the HHS cutterhead to recoup some of my money? Do you think anyone would be interested in it?
    Ted,
    You're getting exactly what I'm saying. I haven't upgraded mine yet, but then again, I'm honestly quite happy with it the way it is. I may someday switch to the spiral, but for now, what I got is good. That would actually be my first recommendation, and get the spiral if you still want it after trying the stock cutterhead. I don't know if anyone here would be interested in an additional cutterhead. I did see just a bit ago that there is one for a DJ-20 in the Classified section. Maybe check out the response on that thread to guage some interest.

Ted,
    Also just found the Sunhill 8" spiral cutterhead with the pulley is on sale through Sunhill for $229. I doesn't use all the little square carbide cutterheads, but instead a longer single piece cutter fastened into the cutterhead. Might be another option to look at.
    Last edited by David Tiell; 10-11-2007 at 3:59 PM.

Blog Entries
    I'd go with the Grizzly G0490 for $795 or if I really wanted the spiral cutter head, the G0490X is $1195
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I'd go with the Grizzly G0490 for $795 or if I really wanted the spiral cutter head, the G0490X is $1195
    Glenn

The Grizzly G0490 is $795 + $144 for shipping for a total of $939. The 490X is $1195 + $144= $1339 with freight. The Shop Fox is $886 freight included. Since Shop Fox is in fact a Grizzly' machine with a different paint job the better deal would seem to be the Shop Fox? Is there something different between the two I would want to consider that would offset the price advantage?

Ted, I've got the 1741 and so far it has been great. The 4-knife head gives a very smooth surface, so for now I'm not even considering the carbide head.

I chose the SF for a couple reasons:

1. same as Grizzly but with a 2-yr (vs 1 yr) warranty
    2. dealer, though 2 hrs away, meant I had someplace to dump it should it prove to be a lemon (vs shipping something back). However Grizz really seems to take care of those big issues from what people say.

Bear in mind one other thing. After jointing you will likely run the stock through your saw or planner, so I'm not convinced that a carbide head gives you much advantage, at least not without one in your planer so that both sides (when face jointing) get the benefit. I think the real benefit is longevity and ease of changing cutters. W/ 2 little kids I haven't had time to run enough BF through my 1741 to require changes. (I don't know if that is good or bad).

I second the 1741, and wait to see if you feel like the spiral head is worth the extra money.

I bought the W1741 and if you shop around you may be able to get it for under $800. I bought mine a couple months ago at neu's building center outside milwaukee for $790 including tax. I havent used it yet as I need to do some re-wiring first.

I agree that it seems to me a the upgraded head would make more sense to put on a planer first. Thats what I may do when I eventually upgrade from my benchtop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Helmboldt View Post
    Ted, I've got the 1741 and so far it has been great. The 4-knife head gives a very smooth surface, so for now I'm not even considering the carbide head.

I chose the SF for a couple reasons:

1. same as Grizzly but with a 2-yr (vs 1 yr) warranty
    2. dealer, though 2 hrs away, meant I had someplace to dump it should it prove to be a lemon (vs shipping something back). However Grizz really seems to take care of those big issues from what people say.

Bear in mind one other thing. After jointing you will likely run the stock through your saw or planner, so I'm not convinced that a carbide head gives you much advantage, at least not without one in your planer so that both sides (when face jointing) get the benefit. I think the real benefit is longevity and ease of changing cutters. W/ 2 little kids I haven't had time to run enough BF through my 1741 to require changes. (I don't know if that is good or bad).

I second the 1741, and wait to see if you feel like the spiral head is worth the extra money.
    After much consideration and the general consensus on the nice job the SF HHS blades do I've decided to get the SF1741 and use the money I save to by carbide when the time comes to refurbish my planer. Also, although I've heard nothing bad about Grizzly I to would like to have a warm body close in case I have any issues with the machine. So bottom line, I'm ordering a 1741 tomorrow morning and hope I'll be as satisfied as you guys!! I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks to all for the comments and help.

You won't be disappointed!

I opted for the SF1741 when it came down to this decision too. I just have a hard time buying something that might be a pain to get serviced. 1 hr away from me is a Shop Fox dealer.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!