Thread: Looking for sawmill in my area to cut some osage

Looking for sawmill in my area to cut some osage

HI there, I have an osage orange tree im taking down and would love to get some of the straight sections, (3 logs about 16"-18" dia 9 feet long) milled into some lumber. What are the best options for something like this? I live near Frederick MD. If someone was interested in milling the logs in exchange for a decent portion of the lumber I would be up for that too. I really just want a few slabs out of the logs and maybe some 4x4s.

I sent out some emails to a couple mills listed on the woodmizer site, but have not gotten any responses.

Reach out to some of the Saw Mill manufacturers. Most keep a list of their customers so they can give them references. Keeps them in business also by the millers buying more accessories for their machines. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. Also check your local craigslist. Millers usually have ads there also.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

If they have phone numbers listed try calling rather than emailing
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

You will limit your options if you try one manufacturer's site. There are several manufacturers that will offer referrals, more likely the manufacturers of larger mills since those are more likely to sell mills to service providers rather than hobbyists. Check with Timberking, Cooks, Baker, etc. There are a couple of national search sites like Sawmill Trader and Portable Sawmill Finder. Perhaps the most focused source would be your state forestry department website. Many states publish directories of sawmills, timber buyers, kilns, and secondary processors.

Also try WoodFinder for sawmills in your area. https://woodfinder.com/
    Some have portable mills and will come to your property for a setup fee plus a charge for the sawing.

Maybe someone here with a sawmill will read this and respond. Consider putting your location in your profile so people can see it at a glance. You might also post in the Classifieds section here. (I think you have to become a "Contributor" to post but it's real cheap: click the Donate link in the menu at the top of every screen.)

Some people with personal sawmills who don't saw for money (like myself) will do it for "shares" - you bring the logs and stay to help and we split the wood. That method is free but you aren't left with as much!

Another option is getting an attachment to mill the logs yourself with a chainsaw. However, this is much more wasteful than a bandsaw mill since the kerf is so wide. Osage is also a lot of work to rip but possible with a rip chain and a sufficiently sized chain saw.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Also try WoodFinder for sawmills in your area. https://woodfinder.com/
    Some have portable mills and will come to your property for a setup fee plus a charge for the sawing.

Maybe someone here with a sawmill will read this and respond. Consider putting your location in your profile so people can see it at a glance. You might also post in the Classifieds section here. (I think you have to become a "Contributor" to post but it's real cheap: click the Donate link in the menu at the top of every screen.)

Some people with personal sawmills who don't saw for money (like myself) will do it for "shares" - you bring the logs and stay to help and we split the wood. That method is free but you aren't left with as much!

Another option is getting an attachment to mill the logs yourself with a chainsaw. However, this is much more wasteful than a bandsaw mill since the kerf is so wide. Osage is also a lot of work to rip but possible with a rip chain and a sufficiently sized chain saw.

JKJ

Thanks for all the tips! I am definitely looking for a "share" situation if I can, osage is fairly rare around here from what I understand, so was hoping there might be some interest. I understand bow makers like it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mansfield View Post
    Thanks for all the tips! I am definitely looking for a "share" situation if I can, osage is fairly rare around here from what I understand, so was hoping there might be some interest. I understand bow makers like it too.
    I’d saw it for you in a heartbeat but it would be a bit of a road trip for you! Of course, the drive didn’t stop me from driving to MD with a trailer to haul back a lathe and another trip for a good scroll saw.

I love osage, not only for turning but when I need something strong (my favorite for push sticks, great for mallets) and for things outside around the farm. I use it for fence support tensioning sticks and “forever” gardening stakes. I’m whittling away on my last little log, about 2’ dia and 30” long...

I'd be happy to work a trade with you but I'm about 6 hours away SW of Raleigh.

There are a few millers in VA that might be able to assist. The Forestry Forum would be a good place to enquire.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I’d saw it for you in a heartbeat but it would be a bit of a road trip for you! Of course, the drive didn’t stop me from driving to MD with a trailer to haul back a lathe and another trip for a good scroll saw.

I love osage, not only for turning but when I need something strong (my favorite for push sticks, great for mallets) and for things outside around the farm. I use it for fence support tensioning sticks and “forever” gardening stakes. I’m whittling away on my last little log, about 2’ dia and 30” long...

Hehe yea that would be a bit of a drive!

I may end up just trying to split the longer sections and get them into a more manageable size if I cannot find someone local. I have a pretty heafty doall bandsaw at work I could use to process them down a bit once I get them into more of an 8x8-6x6 range.

Also thanks for the tip on the forestry forum, I will check them out.

Contact Thrane Axe & Sawmill. They are in Maryland.

https://thraneaxeandsawco.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mansfield View Post
    Hehe yea that would be a bit of a drive!

I may end up just trying to split the longer sections and get them into a more manageable size if I cannot find someone local. ...
    Have you heard of the black powder method of spltting logs? Don't know how well it will work with osage since it's so tough. Basicially you do a deep plunge cut into the side of the log with a chain saw and fill with black powder. Stick a fuse int it, light it and get back! Used to be a common method to split longs but can be kind of noisy. I suspect you can find info and videos on the internet.

An attachment to mill boards/slabs with a chainsaw is cheep. Needs a heafty chainsaw, a long bar, and a rip chain. The down side compared to a bandsaw mill it the wide kerf wastes a lot of wood. Look up Alaskan chain saw mill.

JKJ

Wood Eye Wood Products. He took a walnut tree down for me a couple of years ago. Not the fastest to get back to in touch.
    Dan Carroll