Thread: largest white oak in the world

largest white oak in the world

MINGO OAK - NEAR HOLDEN, WV - BEFORE 1938

The Mingo Oak stood near the head of Trace Fork of Pigeon Creek near the Logan-Mingo county line. A monarch of the mountains, the tree was reported to be the largest white oak in the world. For the last 100 years it lived, the Mingo Oak was one of the best-known shrines in West Virginia. Residents referred to it as ‘‘the church in the wild woods’’ because early settlers erected a pulpit surrounded by rustic benches beside its massive trunk. Almost every Sabbath day during the summer and early fall, rural ministers gathered their followers to conduct religious services underneath the canopy of green. It has been estimated that more than 500 sermons were preached there.

The Mingo Oak was cut in the fall of 1938 after succumbing to the fumes of a burning coal refuse pile. It was cut by a special crew imported for the purpose from Webster County. The tree was felled by two loggers, Paul Criss and Upton ‘‘Uppie’’ Sears, with the help of Civilian Conservation Corps enrollees. At the time its age was calculated at 577 years, having sprouted in the year 1361. It stood 145 feet tall, just over eight feet in diameter at breast height, and had a limb spread of 96 feet. The trunk scaled at 15,000 board feet, and was calculated to weigh 55 tons. A movie was taken during the cutting, and sections of the Mingo Oak were preserved for the West Virginia State Museum and the Smithsonian Institution. Judge R. D. Bailey of Wyoming County had a gavel made from the wood of the tree. Approximately 2,000 people gathered to watch the fall of this West Virginia giant.

This Article was written by Robert Beanblossom

Mingo Oak Tree.jpg

Blog Entries
    I love old tree stories. My computer desktop wall paper is a photo of Angel Oak, a 400 year old live oak in SC. Thought to be one of the biggest oaks on the planet. It is gorgeous.

Angel Oak.jpg

Awesome--thanks to both of you!!
    earl

Great information Keith - thanks for sharing.

Yesterday and today we slabbed up a very large white oak (54”) log for UNC Chapel Hill. The tree sprouted around 1780, give or take, and grew about 100 yards away from the very first building on campus.

It died last year, and the University contacted us to mill it.

We ended up slabbing the main trunk into 3”+ slabs, cut a couple of cookies off of the ends and then quartersawed the remaining 40%. The ray fleck was truly spectacular.

Interesting the way no blame was attached to mine waste being allowed to burn and kill the tree. Wonder how many residents it also killed? My father told me how as a boy the lead smelter in the San Francisco bay area would kill herds of cows when the winds shifted. They had to buy off the farmers each time. I believe they ended up with the worlds tallest brick chinmney.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I love old tree stories. My computer desktop wall paper is a photo of Angel Oak, a 400 year old live oak in SC. Thought to be one of the biggest oaks on the planet. It is gorgeous.

Angel Oak.jpg
    I've seen this one in person. It is beyond amazing.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I just happen to be going to Charleston pretty soon...I may have to check the Angle Oak out. I live near Jacksonville, FL, and there is a fairly large live oak down town....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_Oak_(Jacksonville)
    Chris

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I'm really jealous.