Thread: Miter Saw Operating Noise Question

Miter Saw Operating Noise Question

I bought a Miter Saw from Sears a couple weeks ago. It was sold as Used, regular price $179.99 on sale for $53.87. So I jumped on it, it appears as in new condition. After taking a closer look I found the sliding fence was binding up real bad to the point my moving it back and forth cause Aluminum shavings to appear, it slides much better now but yet.

My concern is the noise this saw produces. It came with a 40 tooth blade. I have never owned or been around a Miter Saw for comparison.

When starting up the saw is to me unusually loud compared to the TS or Skill saw.

When releasing the trigger it gets even worse and sounds like a high pitch level grinding for no better way to put it. There is no wobble of the Arbor and it seems to cut true.

Could someone let me know about Miter Saws and noise levels. It has a full factory warranty and I can have it checked and repaired for free but it will take 2-3 weeks.

Thanks!

My Delta is quite noisy as well, pretty much the nature of the beast. Most have an electric brake that rapidly stops the blade, indeed can be noisier stopping than running.

Quote Originally Posted by Duane Meadows View Post
    My Delta is quite noisy as well, pretty much the nature of the beast. Most have an electric brake that rapidly stops the blade, indeed can be noisier stopping than running.
    Thanks! Can you tell me approximately how long it takes your blade to stop after releasing the trigger switch?

Universal motors "scream". Get used to it. I can't stand the high pitch so I have to wear plugs or muffs. Motor brake stopping blade will vary depending on blade weight (kerf, diameter, tooth count, and alloy). If the blade is isn't free spinning to a stop, I'd consider the brake to be operating.

I have a dewalt 12" sliding miter I had a few problems with a few years ago and if I recall i had a bad brush that I replaced and it improved performance and sound. Can not say that is the problem with your unit.
    ~ universal vls6.60 32"x18" table with 60watt laser. Accessories = rotary fixture, honeycomb cutting table, & air assist. Using Corel draw x6.

~ ShopSabre PRO408 CNC Router. Vacuum hold down. and 4th axes rotary. Using Aspire

~ Fully Stocked Cabinet/Wood Shop

Machines are used in an educational setting. Thanks from Mike in South Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gan View Post
    Thanks! Can you tell me approximately how long it takes your blade to stop after releasing the trigger switch?
    Never timed it, but I'd say just a couple of seconds.