Thread: There's nothing wrong with A2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jessica,
    You seem to have failed to understand the sharpening regime which I described. (Incidentally almost exactly the same as Rob Cosman's).

The bit you have failed to understand is the 2 to3 degree change of angle between the 800 stone and the 15,000 grit Shapton stone.
    I have checked edges under a 40x microscope, and it is clear that no deep scratches are left at the edge.

You are very blunt and very rude.

I have been producing exceptionally sharp edges for a great deal longer than you.

David Charlesworth

Having read through recent responses I have to say that the notion of a sharpening guru is quite entertaining. It's rather like dubbing someone a breathing guru. Except for perhaps saws, if putting a decent edge on a woodworking tool is found flummoxing, then one has found the wrong hobby or entered the wrong profession.

It appears the strategy is to present sharpening as something highly complicated so that it can be subsequently taught, presumably for a fee. It's taken too many fifteen year old boys an odd week or so to learn how to sharpen competently, while they were also learning several other basic if not menial tasks at the same time, for any of this sort of business to hold water.
    Last edited by Charles Guest; 02-20-2019 at 2:40 PM.

David,

Thanks for sharing your experience. In my much more limited experience, I have moved toward A2/PMV 11 in roughing planes and O1 in finish planes. I'm particularly fond of a Hock A2 blade in a #5 that has a good camber on it. I don't worry about tracks since I follow with a finishing plane, where I pay more attention to finish.... Fit the type of metal to the purpose of the plane and all that, no?

As a side note, I have an older LN #4 that I bought used with two blades and am unsure whether they are A2 or O1 (perhaps speaking to my ignorance in such matters or to the minor real-world differences between blade types in the conditions I encounter. I don't know).

Anyone know how to date LN planes and tell the difference among blades? Mine are unmarked.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Christopher,

I have many LN planes, some unmarked and some with their name. I wouldn't bet the house on it, but I believe the unmarked blades are O1 and the marked (newer) blades are A2. Maybe someone else can definitively confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by david charlesworth View Post
    Jessica,

You are very blunt ...

David Charlesworth

I see what you did there.

Quote Originally Posted by david charlesworth View Post
    Jessica,

I have been producing exceptionally sharp edges for a great deal longer than you.

David Charlesworth
    I was trained to sharpen freehand in 1962. I have been producing exceptionally sharp edges for even longer. So what? If one person is more sensitive, more perceptive and more disciplined, his edges are likely better. It is a cheap "trick" to dismiss someone's criticisms because they are younger.

Frankly, when you write something like "There is nothing wrong with A2", after many have testified to the contrary, you invite criticism.

Added: This post was edited by a moderator this morning seventeen minutes after it appeared. However, nothing I wrote was changed. Apparently what I quoted from Charlesworth was too vile to be repeated and so it was removed. The offensive language still appears in the Charlesworth post that I quoted.
    Last edited by Warren Mickley; 02-23-2019 at 6:02 PM. Reason: explanation

Can you imagine the conversations that were had when the best edge tools were made of bronze? A2 would have seemed like a miracle.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Can you imagine the conversations that were had when the best edge tools were made of bronze? A2 would have seemed like a miracle.
    With the sharpening equipment available at the time it would have been a miracle if they could have gotten it to a workable edge.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I was trained to sharpen freehand in 1962. I have been producing exceptionally sharp edges for even longer. So what? If one person is more sensitive, more perceptive and more disciplined, his edges are likely better. It is a cheap "trick" to dismiss someone's criticisms because they are younger.

Frankly, when you write something like "There is nothing wrong with A2", after many have testified to the contrary, you invite criticism.
    I saw no criticism, but views and opinions -- some supporting, some disagreeing; some expressed in a neutral tone, some in strong and sharp tone.

I see nothing wrong with the heading David uses; it is firm and inviting. I like it. It did encourage a lot of responses, did not it?

On the A2 blades, I don't think I treat them any differently from the rest (O1, PMV11 or M2) in my sharpening routine. The importance of steel, angle, and sharpening technique has been blown out of proportion by many or for too long a time. For example, in researching for his article, Chris Schwarz found over two dozen ways (!) of sharpening a card scraper.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 02-23-2019 at 3:41 PM.