Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryobi is making a 40 volt cordess post hole auger

Ryobi is making a 40 volt cordess post hole auger

I saw a new in the box Ryobi 40 volt cordless auger at habitat today. I doubt you could get too many holes per charge. It might be easier on the back to use a regular post hole digger by hand then to lug that battery back and forth a few times.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I saw a new in the box Ryobi 40 volt cordless auger at habitat today. I doubt you could get too many holes per charge. It might be easier on the back to use a regular post hole digger by hand then to lug that battery back and forth a few times.
    Bill D
    I suspect you are correct. Ryobi does a lot of things right, but heavy duty and long battery life are not among them. This is one that will be good for planting tulips and that's about it.

The battery is 2.8 pounds so I think for such a limited tool. manual is easier.
    Bill D

I know exactly how deep that would get in the red clay subsoil here when the ground is dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I know exactly how deep that would get in the red clay subsoil here when the ground is dry.
    That's why they make jack hammers....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I'll see your red clay subsoil, and raise you 1 waxy black prairie.

Our prairie has 2 material phases: dry it is Rc89, wet it is bottomless snot.

It might work in the sand with minimal rocks at my current property. At my previous property I had so many rocks and tree roots I went through three powered augers to make a series of holes. The two man handheld auger got stuck a couple of times. I then got a tow behind auger with a bit more power. That still got stuck. My brother and I spent hours digging to get augers out of the ground. Finally, I rented a Toro Dingo with auger attachment. That finally had enough power to drill the holes.

We can build fences in Wintertime. When the ground gets wet late in the Fall, it stays wet until hot weather gets here.

When I was building our horse fence along the edge of the woods, I kept a 4' pipewrench on the tractor to unscrew the auger when it had grabbed a tree root and screwed itself into the ground.

Maybe for ice fishing......maybe....
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Every time I see one of these tools, it looks like the dirt in the photo is out of a bag of potting soil.
    I have a Ryobi 40v hedge trimmer and string trimmer, which work well but this thing has no place on my property.

Plenty of youtube videos showing how well it works. If it's nice soft dirt it looks like it works just fine. But there's also videos showing things like small rocks and dirt that requires the operator to keep reversing it out of the hole because it's dug deep enough so the operator can't pull it out.

I guess if one needs to wallow out holes in fill dirt.........

Blog Entries
    I've dug enough holes with handheld augers to know a thing or two about what's needed, and that Ryobi is so far from adequate. In this area, below the topsoil we have clay with rock scattered throughout. Not particularly terrible to dig in as long it it isn't bone dry. A 2-person X-handle auger will take about all that 2 people have to drill 8" holes. After a couple dozen holes, you're pretty beat up. I don't know if anyone even offers those for rent anymore. It seems like they are all the type with 2 wheels and a long handle that one person can operate. They are powerful and work very well.

My point is that if the 2 person auger has that much trouble, the Ryobi doesn't have a chance. The dirt in that video was pretty soft and the hole still turned out more like a miniature open pit mine than a fence post hole. And the guy is talking like it's all that the then some. Wonder if the video was sponsored. At any rate, I wouldn't consider him a reliable reviewer.

I'm looking at these remarks and thinking that I'm old enough to remember when I said the same things about cordless drills.
    Now I don't even remember the last corded drill I owned.

Just sayin'...although I suspect I'll be long dead before things like this (and battery chainsaws) are perfected.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I sometimes use a 12” dia auger on the back of a tractor to drill holes 3’ deep for 6 to 8” dia fence posts, often in hard, rocky clay once past the topsoil. One afternoon I did about a dozen in less than 2 hrs.

I wonder how many 40v battery charges that would take. My first thought was a cordless auger might not be practical when fencing but might be better suited for a flagpole, bird feeder, or backyard gate. Maybe the person who buys one will provide a review.

BTW, IMO the best way by far to put in wooden fence posts, at least with our type of soil, is with a hydraulic post driver on the tractor 3pt hitch. The thing is amazing, very quick (but loud!) and the posts are there to stay, extremely sturdy with no tamping, concrete, etc needed. It does require a hydraulic pressure feed from the tractor, though. I sharpen one end if the soil is dry and hard. I drove nearly 50 6” posts in one day when fencing our front fields. I had a helper position the tractor and level the post driver while I operated the controls.