Thread: SCM T100 shaper help needed

SCM T100 shaper help needed

Hi,

I am trying to help a local amish man locate a replacement gear rack for the raising mechanism on his SCM T100 shaper. Does anybody have one of these laying around, or know where to get one? It is not an off the shelf gear rack, as SCM used a strange tilted thread arrangement to drive the spindle up and down. I called SCM but they were of little help. See pic below.

scm gear rack.jpg

Thanks,
    Matt

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

I called them, they asked for Serial number. I looked everywhere and didn't see a serial number. They asked how old it was I told them prob 70's. They said the parts were obselete. The guy on the phone didn't put much effort into it I can tell you that.

Matt

SCM will be no help with this era of machine. I have a T100 and 2 other SCM machines from the same time frame and have called them inquiring about parts, etc for each of them at different times and basically been laughed at through the phone due to the age of my machines compared with what their focus is.

I have been able to get PDF scans of old service manuals and exploded parts diagrams from them for a few machines. They have some more universal parts that may have some crossover with similar machines that are a bit newer, but my take is that they really don’t keep any stock of spare parts for the older machines like these.

I don’t know what to tell you about the gear. Parts specific to the T100 are few and far between on the used market. I would keep an eye out for a parts machine or start looking for a different shaper. I like my little T100 for what it is and what I have into it, but I would trade it up for T110, 120, or 130 in a second.
    Still waters run deep.

Agreed: Best path forward is probably to keep an eye open for a secondary, donor machine. To be fair to SCM (or anyone other manufacturer), it is unrealistic to expect them to be able to supply major structural parts for a machine that old.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    To be fair to SCM (or anyone other manufacturer), it is unrealistic to expect them to be able to supply major structural parts for a machine that old.
    I agree with this 110%. The industry does pretty good compared to many others, but there are still business realities in play. So given the age of the machine, finding a donor machine or opting for a replacement makes quite a bit of sense. It may not make the machine owner happy, unfortunately.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The industry does a pretty good job. My experience with SCM is that they don’t. I think that I mentioned in the first batch of SCM stuff
    that we had trouble getting parts .

During my MiniMax USA days, our parts guy’s office was directly opposite the sales room so we heard some of his calls. I lost count of how many times he would hang up, shaking his head after some phone call. And he was a patient guy. Imagine calling your local Toyota dealership, looking for parts for a 1980 Corolla. Yet, if a dealer can’t supply info for a woodworking machine even older than that, people get peeved.

…and the Atlanta parts folks I worked with were some of the nicest in the industry. Sorry/not sorry for telling it like it is.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

My take on this one is unless you are willing to pony up the funds to have a new part made at a machine shop, Good luck. The option of buying another parts machine is probably the second best route. Unfortunately these are pretty well the only two choices left.

Thanks for your help guys. I knew SCM didn't have the part, since I called and asked them. I was just trying to help this guy out with his machine, hoping maybe somebody had a parts machine.

I will say this certainly puts into perspective companies like Northfield, Newman Whitney, Eagle Machinery (RT Machinery now), Central Machinery (Wysong & Miles), etc. When you call them for parts, the folks answering the phone know their product line inside and out. They can literally recite the part numbers to you before you even finish. Their parts are not inexpensive, but it is a great feeling to call up and get parts for a 30" planer made in 1968, and if its not on the shelf, they can make it for you. Sadly, some of these companies are now out of business, like Central Machinery.

I know SCM's product like is extensive and they can't stock every part for every machine, that wasn't the point of my initial post.

If anybody happens to have a parts machine, please let me know.

Thanks

You might consider posting a wanted to buy ad for a parts T100 on the Woodweb classifieds. Want ads are free, if I remember correctly and you just never know what’s sitting around in the dark corner of people’s shops. More likely to find it via that crowd than here, IMO.
    Still waters run deep.