Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tormek price drop?

Tormek price drop?

I notice the current price for the Tormek T-8 on Amazon is about $100 lower than the typical price in the recent past (as I remember). It's gone down three times in the last week. (tracking with camelcamelcamel)

__temp.jpg

I wonder if this is some general and permanent price reduction by Tormek. Sales down from competition? I didn't check non-Amazon prices. I had been looking for a second Tormek but recently bought one used or I might be tempted...for some reason I don't think I need three!!

I’m gonna be honest, I had to google it. Thanks for spending my $700 John! 😂 this is now on the “really want” list, very close to the “ need” list

The CamelCamelCamel website is a super useful tool. Whenever I am going to buy something on the expensive side on Amazon, I use it to see price history and set a price to be notified on. It has saved me a bunch on a cash.

A local hardware store has a T 8 for $650.00 a bit more than amazon. I get drawn to it like a human magnet every time I go there.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Doubt its a permanent drop, more than likely its just an Amazon fluke. Happens ALL THE TIME and is sometimes CRAZY good! Welcome to the world of online price tracking! Check out Slickdeals.net too!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Doubt its a permanent drop, more than likely its just an Amazon fluke. Happens ALL THE TIME and is sometimes CRAZY good! Welcome to the world of online price tracking! Check out Slickdeals.net too!
    I wondered about that and I've seen some of their flukes. (Bought a $200+ dial test indicator once for about $40, 10 minutes later the deal was gone.) But the flukes I noticed were spikes and not repeated drops. Will be interesting to watch it further!

I've been tempted to go back with one when Zoro has them for 20% off. If they had one available with a diamond wheel, and you didn't have to buy the friable one, I'd be a go. If they made one with a larger motor, variable speed reversible, with two diamond wheels, I'd be glad to pay full price.

One seller was selling about 10 of them for $500 (each) with free shipping and had a good rating. I've had it in my wishlist for a few years so I bit at that price. Hoping it wont need to be returned. It's tracking at $613 now...

Are any jigs/accessories a must have or just buy what you need?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Visconti View Post
    Really depends on what you will use it for, what kinds of things you will sharpen. I bought the turning packing which I use a lot plus the planer knife jig (which I haven't even opened after maybe 10 years)

JKJ

At that point, you might as well buy a slow speed grinder and just use the tormek jigs. Would probably be cheaper. I have a tormek T8 but also the setup to use the jigs on my slow speed with cbn wheels.

3828AE77-4169-4DC9-BD83-0837EE9BF3BA.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I've been tempted to go back with one when Zoro has them for 20% off. If they had one available with a diamond wheel, and you didn't have to buy the friable one, I'd be a go. If they made one with a larger motor, variable speed reversible, with two diamond wheels, I'd be glad to pay full price.

I have a similar setup, but can't use a dry grinder in the old houses we work on. I need to go back to a wet grinder, but the regular Tormek is too slow. We stay set up for a year, or two, on one job. Right now, I have to go outside to do any grinding, and that's no fun in bad weather. What I want is the ease, and speed of the CBN wheel setup, without the mess.

Makes sense.

I have a similar setup, but can't use a dry grinder in the old houses we work on. I need to go back to a wet grinder, but the regular Tormek is too slow. We stay set up for a year, or two, on one job. Right now, I have to go outside to do any grinding, and that's no fun in bad weather. What I want is the ease, and speed of the CBN wheel setup, without the mess.

Oh I MISS those days!!! I got some CRAZY good deals from them on most of my Starrett and Mitutoyo products!

That said, crazy good discounts for the first couple of years is the norm these days for new companies trying to make a name for themselves. Amazon opened the doors for the acceptability of investors buying into business plans with years of loss in the forefront to make a name for the company. For example AcmeTools did the same. They used to have site-wide 15% coupons fairly regularly but years later they are rare and come with tons of exclusions. So the trick is find and keep track of those up and coming companies and reap the benefits of the "losses" they are willing to take in the first few years!
    Last edited by Ben Rivel; 09-23-2019 at 2:18 PM.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Visconti View Post
    One seller was selling about 10 of them for $500 (each) with free shipping and had a good rating. I've had it in my wishlist for a few years so I bit at that price. Hoping it wont need to be returned. It's tracking at $613 now...

Well, the seller cancelled the order, so if you "missed out" on spending $500, don't feel too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    At that point, you might as well buy a slow speed grinder and just use the tormek jigs. Would probably be cheaper. I have a tormek T8 but also the setup to use the jigs on my slow speed with cbn wheels.

3828AE77-4169-4DC9-BD83-0837EE9BF3BA.jpg
    Thank you. It looks very workable. Any reason that I should not try to copy?