Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK - time for a splitter

OK - time for a splitter

Last night I had a kickback while cutting a 36"X18" piece of 1/2 “ MDF in half. I currently do not have a splitter but that is about to change. My question is what splitter have you used that you really like. I have a Powermatic PM66 and use the saw often for cutting dados so would want a splitter that can be easily removed. Am I better off with a commercial setup like the Biesemeyer (or other) or should I make one. Thanks for your thoughts. Dave
    Last edited by Dave Bonde; 10-20-2007 at 5:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bonde View Post
    ...use the saw often for cutting dados so would want a splitter that can be easily removed...
    My first thought would be to build a zero clearance insert and incorporate a splitter in that insert. Easily removed since it would come off with the insert - which will have to be swapped out anyway to use the dado head.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Dave,

I started with one of those little plastic Micro splitters and then bought a Shark Guard which comes with 3 different sized splitters and a blade guard with a dust collection port. I like the Shark Guard a lot and would get that again.

~mark

I put a Biesemeyer Snap-In Spreader on my new "old" Unisaw after never using anything on my contractor saw. I love it and wonder why I didn't do it sooner.

I also have the PM66. I installed the Shark Guard.

Worked for me, however the knob provided with the Shark Guard would not work with my saw. The Shark Guard was provided with a male knob, my saw required a female. It cost me about $4 to buy the correct knob.

Note, the PM66 Shark Guard will not work if you have to set the blade to anything other than 90 degree cut.
    Wood'N'Scout

I also have a PM66 with no current splitter (besides what came with the saw, which is off). Interested in this thread, and I'd love to see any pictures of what folks consider "the best" setup for a PM66 both for safety and dust collection. I could only find a small cheap snap in splitter at Rockler, and am not satisfied with it.

I have a Merlin splitter and an Excalibur overarm guard.......Rod.

I presume the kickback didn't result in injury since you didn't give the gory details, consider yourself fortunate.

I don't know if they're available for the 66, but the pop-up Beismeyers that we had on our unisaws worked pretty well, the downside was that they usually got pushed down and didn't come back up. Kickback was a way too common occurrence.

Since we've gotten saws with well designed, integrated riving knives, kickback has all but seized to exist (still happens occasionally w/really light material like foam). The beauty of the riving knife it that it is almost never in the way, it just sits there and does what it's supposed to do. Of course a riving knife isn't easily retrofitted.

Were you ripping or crosscutting that 18"x36" piece of stock? If you were x-cutting, I can picture how this happened. It may be time to make that crosscutting sled you've been thinking about as well.

-kg

Yes Kevin I was crosscutting - have done it 1000's of times over the years. To be honest I'm not sure what happened, I was through the cut and moving around the saw I don't know if I pushed the part back into the blade with the other part or what but wack it flew back at an angle and hit me in the forearm just above the wrist. I thought it broke my arm at the time and still have pain from the fingers to the elbow but could have been worse, I had a sweatshirt on that had to have helped cousion the blow - I keep thinking "what if it had hit me in the face"
    Last edited by Dave Bonde; 10-20-2007 at 10:09 PM.

When I had my Jet cabinet saw, I used the Biesemeyer snap-in splitter and it was great. Highly recommended.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a biesmeyer splitter on my PM66. I actually use it a fair amount of the time. It snaps in easily, but it requires you to take off the insert and pull a knob to release the splitter.

I am still figureing out what to use for a guard with dust collection.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    When I had my Jet cabinet saw, I used the Biesemeyer snap-in splitter and it was great. Highly recommended.

Ditto here (only on a Uni).

i'll add another vote for the sharkguard and the splitters. lee styrone does a magnificent job even though it takes about two months to receive it.

PM-66 with a Biesemeyer Splitter. Takes less than 5 seconds to pop out the insert, pull the knob and pull out the splitter. It can be used at all Blade angles, (If you remember to make a slot in the insert for the splitter to tilt).
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

15. Just curious:
    How'd ya get a kick back on MDF~? The stuff doesn't close up on the cut it is very dead material.

Only guess I can hazard is a bit of binding a'tween the rip and the blade.