Thread: Live Center Cone Tip Repair?

Live Center Cone Tip Repair?

I have a PM 3520B and use the PM live center quite a bit, although, I do have a Nova set. I have no idea how this has happened but the tip looks a bit mangled. Can I just lock it down and put it on the headstock and turn it to a nice cone again with my wood turning tools?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Take your knockout rod that came with the center, and knock the point tip out. Take it to your grinder, and lightly rotate the tip to grind a new and symmetrical point on it......easy peasy! Just don't grind a flat on one side!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

The whole live center is on a #2 morse taper, so just install in in the headstock, fashion a pin through the hole in the tip to keep it from rotating ( I use a small nail and tape it so it stays put). The you can turn it true and to shape. Presto!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    I have a PM 3520B and use the PM live center quite a bit, although, I do have a Nova set. I have no idea how this has happened but the tip looks a bit mangled. Can I just lock it down and put it on the headstock and turn it to a nice cone again with my wood turning tools?

Thanks,

Mike
    You said "tip" but also said "cone". Do you mean the screw-on aluminum cone is mangled or the small steel point is bad?

If you mean the steel point, you can easily turn steel on the wood lathe. I use a scraper made from Thompson steel, ground a bit like tool bit for a metal lathe but hand-held.
    If you mean the aluminum cone, you can even more easily turn it on the wood lathe - I've done that with two of mine. For aluminum, I use scrapers, skew, or gouges.

You also also buy replacement cones and points for the Oneway that will fit the clone that PM/Jet provides. https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...ent-Center-Tip

I hold the center with a piece of soft iron wire. I often to that to turn wooden attachments.

JKJ

Very good advice above--also a file used on the spinning cone may be useful.

If it is just the tip, pop it out chuck it into a portable drill and grind it to a perfectly centered point.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    You said "tip" but also said "cone". Do you mean the screw-on aluminum cone is mangled or the small steel point is bad?

If you mean the steel point, you can easily turn steel on the wood lathe. I use a scraper made from Thompson steel, ground a bit like tool bit for a metal lathe but hand-held.
    If you mean the aluminum cone, you can even more easily turn it on the wood lathe - I've done that with two of mine. For aluminum, I use scrapers, skew, or gouges.

You also also buy replacement cones and points for the Oneway that will fit the clone that PM/Jet provides. https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p...ent-Center-Tip

I hold the center with a piece of soft iron wire. I often to that to turn wooden attachments.

JKJ

To be clear, the damage is on the very tip of the removable aluminum cone (the part that that gets your attention when your elbow hits it ). Thought this may be common maintenance but doesn't sound like it - I'll just lock it down and machine it on a hand drill or on the lathe as suggested here.

Thanks,

Mike

if it is the tip and not the cone you can buy replacements from PM and maybe even the cone as well

Quote Originally Posted by allen thunem View Post
    if it is the tip and not the cone you can buy replacements from PM and maybe even the cone as well
    Thanks for the links Allen. I was able to repair the cone tip using the lathe. Took a little experimentation to get something to bite the aluminum but it's nice and pointy again.

Mike

Thanks for the links Allen. I was able to repair the cone tip using the lathe. Took a little experimentation to get something to bite the aluminum but it's nice and pointy again.

Mike
    Spindle gouge works great for that with a good bit of speed.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Mike
    For future reference, I've turned a lot of aluminum with a variety of tools including gouges and skew chisels.

IMG_20150420_115245_729_se.jpg IMG_20150420_115928_884_se.jpg IMG_20150420_121555_806_se.jpg IMG_20150420_122415_440_se.jpg finished_small.jpg