Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Norm is Back !!

Norm is Back !!

It looks like they are officially and legitimately adding all of the New Yankee Workshops episodes to Youtube. Heres the link: https://www.youtube.com/@newyankeeworkshop

Enjoy!!
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

That will be a treasure trove for sure...getting the material in an easy to access place will allow a lot more folks to enjoy the material; some to reminisce and some to discover a resource that they may not have been exposed to because they may be young enough not to have seen the show on TV. It looks like they have three seasons loaded so far.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If they're going to load all the NYW episodes to Youtube, I wonder what that portends for the promised NewYankee.com. Will NewYankee.com become primarily a way to sell plans, books etc? Streaming existing content doesn't cost much but it costs something.

Streaming from a private site can cost a bundle to both host and provide bandwidth. (that's the primary reason that forums like this one do not permit direct upload of video files) Using YouTube can also be more cost effective and also provides better ways to monetize the content from viewing volume than can be done with a private site. Selling wares, however, is more cost effective on the dedicated site.
    --

I watched it 'live' for most of the episodes. My wife would tape them on our VCR, and keep up a running log on what each show was covering. I was at work about half of the time it was on, and she rarely missed recording an episode.

In later days she watched each episode she had recorded for me, on VCR while re-recording it for me on DVD's, again making a log of what was what.

I have no idea how many hours of the show she watched for me, not to mention watching it again when I came home and watched it.

She's a keeper. She got a couple kitchens, and some furniture though. They were exactly what she wanted, down to drawer sizes. Took me a while though. Now I will lose sleep watching them after she goes to bed.

Thanks Norm and Russ
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I remember watching NYW with my dad. I wish more non-drama woodworking (or any hobby for that matter) shows were available on tv. Its hard to learn from any of the new shows thats probably why Youtube is so popular

Rick that brings back memories of learning how to set the VCR to auto-record. My childhood Saturday mornings were the router workshop, this old house, ask this old house and the new Yankee workshop.

It was interesting to see how the space has been maintained so pristinely during Morash's brief tour and to hear him say that Norm has stopped by occasionally to do something or bring/get something. Of course, the nice chair and potted palm was an "upgrade" to the set. LOL
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    If they're going to load all the NYW episodes to Youtube, I wonder what that portends for the promised NewYankee.com. Will NewYankee.com become primarily a way to sell plans, books etc? Streaming existing content doesn't cost much but it costs something.

I think NYW was Norm - when he retired the show's days were numbered.

I think the show wrapped before he retired from ToH. In any case, I had a ToH subscription for a while. I dropped it when they announced they were dropping NYW. I think between this, and The French Chef appearing on YouTube it seems that Russell has decided to share his legacy. It's a good choice IMO.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I wonder if it will bring the popularity of the biscuit jointer. I never watched Norm. I still have and use several biscuit jointers.

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    I think the show wrapped before he retired from ToH.
    Yes, he retired from ToH just a few months ago and there was a tribute program to honor the occasion.
    --

Another dedicated viewer , back in the day . What struck me seeing it today is the shop itself wasn't very big . I never had that thought then , but today it's " mid sized " by You Tube standards .

I loved watching these when I was younger. I'll probably start watching this weekend as I'm curious if it will still be relevant. I worry my Domino, track saw and CNC might disown me for watching

I used to watch NYW every Saturday when it was on. It was fun to watch his progression as a woodworker, going from using his radial arm saw to a tablesaw, and then adding tools like the wide belt sander and lathe. He may not have been the best woodworker, but he was easy to listen to and made me want to try making things, which in my mind makes him a pretty good teacher.