Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jorgensen clamps at Lowes

Jorgensen clamps at Lowes

Hi,
    I don't quite know what the story is with the orange Jorgensen bar clamps. At one point I heard the century old company went out of business. Then I heard a Chinese company bought them and planned to resurrect the line.
    Today I saw a six pack of 6" 3700 series bar clamps at Lowes. They're in spiffy new packaging, so maybe these are the resurrected ones, but on the other hand they are marked down for clearance at $21 for six so I'm not sure what to think.

Seemed like a good deal. I really wanted to proclaim them to be a cheap Chinese imitation of the good old original, but IMO they seem no less robust than the old ones, and in fact maybe a little better because of the rubber grip vs the smooth wood one. If you're in the market for 6" clamps, these are a very good price.
    Edwin

clamp1.jpegclamp2.jpeg

on my way to Lowes.

They’re marked down from $29.98 to $21.98, so not a blow out clearance.

They appear to be the traditional Jorgy but with a rubber grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    They’re marked down from $29.98 to $21.98, so not a blow out clearance.
    Well I never saw the traditional 6" Jorgys for $3.66 each new. I recall them being closer to $10 each. These are much higher quality than HF bar clamps. I'd love to see a deal on the 12" versions.

Lowes now stocks Jorgy's instead of the Irwins. Here a six pack is still $29.99, and yes they are made in China.

Except in the great white north where they just stock Irwins.

I’m taking a chance at being out of line,but Lowes just shafted hundreds if not thousands of employees. And at the same time is buying back millions in stock. Money that they should (IMO) have been used as severance pay. So they lost me as a customer. No I’m not advocating a boycott but when corporations obviously appear to appease their bottom line over human employees I try to avoid giving them my business. I want to help make America great by it being known as the country that treats its workers well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Kopfer View Post
    I’m taking a chance at being out of line,but Lowes just shafted hundreds if not thousands of employees. And at the same time is buying back millions in stock. Money that they should (IMO) have been used as severance pay. So they lost me as a customer. No I’m not advocating a boycott but when corporations obviously appear to appease their bottom line over human employees I try to avoid giving them my business. I want to help make America great by it being known as the country that treats its workers well.
    I didn't know any of this.

I just thought it was a good deal on clamps and wanted to pass it along for anyone else that might be interested.

What did they do?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    What did they do?
    They embarked on a major expansion, adding stores within a few miles of each other apparently in an attempt to compete with Home Depot. They bought Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH) a few years ago and then recently closed them all. The major expansion apparently has failed, as many Lowe's stores (some less than 10 years old) have been liquidated. Seems like a bad business model, but as Bernie noted, the ones that have been screwed are the former employees.

I suspect that this is only a local thing - to your area. We have several Lowes here in Tucson and I have not heard any negative rumors. Although, when I visited my favorite Lowes about a month ago - I learned that Lowes corporate had been investigating some of the employees at that particular store for theft and other dishonest things. I was told by one of the employees who was not subject to this investigation that the Lowes corporate officials called each employee into a room to ask them some questions. Apparently about 10-12 employees were fired.

Apparently some violations like giving unauthorized discounts, comping sodas to other employees, etc. I did not hear about any blatant stealing. Some of my favorite employees who I have been dealing with for several years are no longer working at that store. One of the current employees told me that some of them got hired over at Home Depot.

I will say that in my particular case, I like going to Lowes over Home Depot because:

1. Less crowded
    2. Much better air conditioning (I live in Tucson, Arizona where it is over 100 degress this time of year).
    3. Better parking
    4. Cleaner store

The only problem it that Lowes doesn't carry Milwaukee. But I also go to Home Depot for many other items.

David

I actually have all of the Jorgensen bar clamps that I purchased at Home Depot over 30 year ago. Made in USA with the wood handles. I've got sets ranging from 6" to 48" in length. I probably have 4 or each. This is mostly a metal working shop, I realize that more is better for glue-ups and other wood working/cabinet making endeavors. I like the ones I have. Not sure if I would run out and buy more at this time. I would guess that most of the serious wood workers on this forum already have all the clamps that they need. Maybe I am wrong.
    David

I picked up a pack of them a few weeks back here in Santa Fe. Marked down even further. I think I paid $15.99. Our Lowes was redoing the tool area to make room for a huge Craftsman display and I suspect they were blowing them out.
    Nice clamps, though!

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    I would guess that most of the serious wood workers on this forum already have all the clamps that they need.
    Heresy! There is no such thing as too many clamps!
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    Heresy! There is no such thing as too many clamps!
    I didn't think there were woodworkers that had enough clamps. I needed 2 more yesterday.........