Thread: know this manufacturer?

know this manufacturer?

A buddy of mine collects old campers nad just bought this beauty:

20210613_173630.jpg It's a 1926 Chevy custom made camper. Sink, bunk beds, a toilet - of sorts - and a top end of 23 mph.

In one of the drawers is this label:

20210613_174053.jpg We're pretty sure Lenoir became (or was bought up) by Broyhill. But we can't find anything about Chas Agins and Son from Patterson NJ. Any info would be helpful. Thx.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Google was able to locate Chas Agins and Son in Paterson, NJ in 1914. They appeared to be a builder and rental owner.

Thx Lisa - duck duck came up empty, and google only gave me a clipping about them accepting bids on a store building.
    2021-06-14_10h30_40.jpg
    Did you find more than that?

Not yet...I'll probably work on it more when I'm too tired to work in my shop. I'll forward anything I'm able to locate.

Blog Entries
    It may be Chevrolet made the basic frame and drive train and a second company made the top part. This is/was a common practice in the automotive industry. It may also be the company building the top contracted with a third company to install the cabinetry.

The top of the vehicle looks more like cabinetry than something designed and produced in an automotive assembly line.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    A buddy of mine collects old campers nad just bought this beauty:

20210613_173630.jpg It's a 1926 Chevy custom made camper. Sink, bunk beds, a toilet - of sorts - and a top end of 23 mph.
    My toilet isn't as fast.

This must be the inspiration for those tiny houses I don't hear much about, anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It may be Chevrolet made the basic frame and drive train and a second company made the top part. This is/was a common practice in the automotive industry. It may also be the company building the top contracted with a third company to install the cabinetry.

The top of the vehicle looks more like cabinetry than something designed and produced in an automotive assembly line.

jtk

My guess is, as you suggest, that they bought the truck frame etc from Chevy, took it to Chas Agins and Son who built the body, and Agins installed cabinets made by Lenoir. It is a way cool vehicle. My buddy's wife has already ordered all the county maps between here and where they go camping with the rest of the collectors they hang with (he has 11 antique campers) because it's gonna be back roads the whole way.

https://rvshare.com/blog/rv-history/
    -interesting read on these things
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle