Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
I forgot to mention...there IS a little 'withdrawal' period which can be both frustrating and humorous at the same time. We get so conditioned to certain things around work that when they suddenly are not there, it can be "interesting". Some of that is honestly the sudden change in communication...all those folks that you interacted with daily including "socially at work" get missed a bit. Not all of them ...but likely most. About three months did it for me...but even today I sometime miss those morning conversations with my "partner in crime" and her manager who is also a good friend.
Thanks Jim. I experienced this to some degree when I got laid off about 13 years ago. Luckily I found work within 3 months. I have a couple of good friends at work also getting ready to retire. We've talked about this very thing and pledged to keep meeting for lunch regularly. One of them referred to it as a "Romeo" group - retired old men eating out.

I personally tend to have a small social circle compared to others, but I certainly don't want to go full hermit. Volunteering with my woodworking club will create some new friendships. And It's nice to jump on SMC and see what the Creekers are up to. I hope to contribute here more than I have. I'm also fortunate to live on a court where I have 4 neighbors that are retired or work independently at home. So there is usually someone out and about.

But there are a lot of friends at work that I will miss talking to. I tell myself that I will work to maintain those connections, but right now I'm not sure how best to do that. But I have plenty of time to figure things out.