Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extinct Campbells soups

Extinct Campbells soups

I don't see Manhattan Clam Chowder and Green Pea (as oppposed to Split Green Pea) condensed soups listed on the Campbells pages:
    https://www.campbells.com/products/?...ed&orderby=asc
    Pity if they have gone extinct.

Blog Entries
    Scotch Broth is another that I have heard lamented by the shrinking population of local old timers. A good can of soup or good packet of dry soup is my lunch of choice when working outside in the winter. The list of ones that qualify as "good" is small.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Not Campbells 'cause I don't buy them, but I've been unable to find the two mushroom versions of Amy's soups that I do use. I'm hoping it's just an artifact of supply chain that will resolve.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Because they can....

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Used to buy canned bacon for camping. It has got crazy expensive now.
    BilLD

Blog Entries
    Walmart online and Amazon seem to have it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Sorry Stephen, as a New Englander I can't cry over Manhattan Clam Chowder going extinct. Red tomato based "Clam Chowder" is in no way or shape clam chowdah. Real clam chowdah is milk and/or cream based.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Blog Entries
    $2.50 a can for Campbells is hard to believe. Two years ago $2.50 would be a splurge and I would get Progresso. I have almost decided that I like condensed soup better because it has less "essence of can" than ready to eat cans. I have also stopped doing the Brit thing of tossing an unopened can into a pan of water and boiling (hotting up). It sure is convent but evidently not approved.
    Best Regards, Maurice

When I was a kid in the 60’s it was a dime a can.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    I don't see Manhattan Clam Chowder and Green Pea (as oppposed to Split Green Pea) condensed soups listed on the Campbells pages:
    https://www.campbells.com/products/?...ed&orderby=asc
    Pity if they have gone extinct.
    The Manhattan Clam Chowder went walkabout several years before the pandemic, as did the (non-condensed) Chicken Mushroom Chowder.
    The Progresso MCC isn't bad though, purist New Englanders notwithstanding.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    Sorry Stephen, as a New Englander I can't cry over Manhattan Clam Chowder going extinct. Red tomato based "Clam Chowder" is in no way or shape clam chowdah. Real clam chowdah is milk and/or cream based.
    I like the Campbells condensed version of New England clam chowder, but I never add milk to it to make a "proper" clam chowder. Campbells now has a non-condensed version of clam chowder. It's creamy, but I prefer the improper chowder. I'd like to find a recipe for making the equivalent for the condensed version.

Stephen, some people will not eat food with odd size pieces . Chunks are tolerated or loved by most. Purreed is also good.
    But foods ,especially soups with with odd pieces trying to avoid each other scare people. When I was kid my Mom would have to
    remove all odd-ball sizes . My soup had to have ‘law and order’. There is some kind of plant ‘ can-o’- blis’ or something like that….
    said to make people want to eat food they don’t usually like.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    $2.50 a can for Campbells is hard to believe. Two years ago $2.50 would be a splurge and I would get Progresso. I have almost decided that I like condensed soup better because it has less "essence of can" than ready to eat cans. I have also stopped doing the Brit thing of tossing an unopened can into a pan of water and boiling (hotting up). It sure is convent but evidently not approved.
    I make my own now...started that about 3 years ago and have not looked back.

Tomato (I used to love Campbell's Tomato soup...with milk instead of water. Now, after making my own , C's makes me [almost] gag.)
    Vegetable (with a veg based stock...some are made with a meat based stock)
    Green pea (unless I have a ham hock, in which case I make split pea)
    Black bean w/ corn.

Make a couple of gallons of each and freeze most of it.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post

Tomato (I used to love Campbell's Tomato soup...with milk instead of water. Now, after making my own , C's makes me [almost] gag.)
    Black bean w/ corn.

Patty walk me thru the Green Pea soup making. Can't eat peas or split pea soup however always enjoyed Campbell's green pea soup made with milk, mixed in the blender and microwaved to heat it
    thanks
    Ron

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post

Black bean w/ corn.

Home made is for sure the way to go! We need to do a better job. The soup is superior and we keep the salt down and quality of ingredients up. We just don't make a big batch often enough. Those ideas sound very tasty!
    Best Regards, Maurice