Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Knee Replacement

As an update. My prescription pain killers ran out Wednesday and I'm not sure they made any difference anyway. All in all I think I'm doing well. Most swelling is now gone. Still stiff and sore and working to get the range of motion back. Each day seems a little better. I know I look forward to being able to walk completely pain free. (From the knee at least) It does educate you in where the tendons and ligaments are that operate your lower leg. It sounds as though Monday I will be doing some time on an exercise bike at rehab as well. I have one that I need to get moved home for additional therapy. I loaned it out to someone else going through broken leg therapy a year or so ago. I will try to update in another week on my progress.

Thanks for the update Ronald! I am following this thread as I have 2 knees and a hip that restrict my walking.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

This week, wife started getting serious about getting hers replaced. So we will be the bionic couple at some point in the future. For me it was RT elbow - 1978, both knees - 2013, and brain transplant - pending

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    This week, wife started getting serious about getting hers replaced. So we will be the bionic couple at some point in the future. For me it was RT elbow - 1978, both knees - 2013, and brain transplant - pending
    Let me know how the brain transplant goes Bruce. It might be to late for me though. Is this a "trade up" opportunity?

Some mornings...I think I need replacement "everything"...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have had 3 operations on my right knee the first in 1978 and the last in 1992 The advice
    I would give to anyone with knee problems

(1) Watch your weight If you are over weight you will have all that additional weight going through your knees .Example if you are 2 stone over weight that is an additional 14 pounds' of weight and wear and tear on each Knee

(2)Ask an appropriate qualified person what are the most beneficial exercises to do and ensure you do them every day. It is essential you do everything you can to maintain the knee as best you can .Consider asking the qualified person to video you with a mobile phone performing the exercises .You will then have a video record you can refer back to to ensure you are doing the exercises correctly)

(3) Do not carry or move heavy objects and purchase a shopping trolley.

(4) Be aware that wet and slippery surfaces spell danger , example wet bathroom floors icy surfaces.

(5) Take care walking down hill /stairs and be aware of uneven surfaces are best avoided if possible.

(6) Consider wearing a knee support to do certain activities and seek advise on the most appropriate

(7) Ask for help for any tasks you recognize may present a problem ( climbing ladders, carrying heavy items)

(8)Seek advice on purchasing appropriate shoes which provide cushioning to the sole
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 08-16-2021 at 4:18 AM.

Some excellent advice and information given. Pain killers make me constipated so I avoided them as soon as possible. Do the PT and move but don't overdo it, only you can tell. Be prepared for possible hip trouble now that your knee is straightened out. My "good knee" makes that leg longer and my stride is different. Second loosing weight. America is fat. (I am too) Old age is like dominoes, hit one and they all fall. Keep moving and savor the little moments with your loved ones and Creation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    Some excellent advice and information given. Pain killers make me constipated so I avoided them as soon as possible. Do the PT and move but don't overdo it, only you can tell. Be prepared for possible hip trouble now that your knee is straightened out. My "good knee" makes that leg longer and my stride is different. Second loosing weight. America is fat. (I am too) Old age is like dominoes, hit one and they all fall. Keep moving and savor the little moments with your loved ones and Creation.
    I've been working on the weight loss steadily the last couple months and have made decent progress. It didn't go on over night and unfortunately it takes even longer to remove it. I do have some questions for the Dr on my 2 week follow up Thursday. I only had a 1 week supply of pain killer and I honestly am not sure it made any difference. They had me taking things to avoid the constipation and it was never an issue. Each day is a little better and that's what I want. I was going to use this to finish my working career but the Dr said absolutely not. There would be no restrictions in place. So I'm still going to retire soon and just pay the Cobra premium until I turn 65 next August.

I can attest to the weight issue. I have osteoarthritus in my left knee, and it's been causing me pain for several years, especially when I am active and it get used and inflamed. Over the past few months I've lost about 20 pounds and had to make two new holes in my belt. It's made a world of difference in my pain. I can do things I haven't been able to do for several years without pain now, such as climbing stairs. I'm going to continue working on my weight and try to drop another 20 pounds or so.

So I thought I would give an update on my knee replacement and recovery progress since it's been more then a couple weeks. I'm progressing well. Today at therapy I was able to pedal the exercise bike full revolutions. YEEHAW!!! I'm getting there. Now most all discomfort is when I bump the limits of the available movement. My knee measured at 110 degrees today. That's bending it towards my butt. One day after the surgery I was 55 degrees. A week ago I was 97. I've still got some work to do but it's getting better daily. Knee almost looks normal now as well. So the pain in the first week or so is ancient history. I've been going to the shop and doing some minor things and I'm going up and down steps using my leg normally.

Ronald, that's good news. My wife had both knees done in sequence a few years ago and aside from some pain kneeling they are fully functional. Doing all the prescribed strengthening and stretching was key.

My left knee will probably get replaced in the foreseeable future but I will put it off as long as possible, that is to say when it prevents skiing. My doctor said most people with knee images that look like mine can't ski anymore- I'll take it for now.

I had my first of three Synvisc injections today, which may ward off surgery for a while. I have thought for a long time that knees should come with zerk fittings; apparently this is the next best thing. Something to look into if one has a severely arthritic knee.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Some mornings...I think I need replacement "everything"...
    Boy this is so true. My shoulders are giving me pain these days. Not sure if it is from the way I sleep. Trying to pinpoint this problem. But they are getting worse. I am a back only sleeper and use double pillows to raise head. Tried lowering head but then neck aches. Tough getting old. What is the saying, getting old is not for sissys.
    John T.

That's really good news, Ronald! I'm glad the therapy is going well. It's honestly remarkable at how fast recovery can be for replacements these days only eclipsed by how fast they get folks up and walking post-surgery.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's really good news, Ronald! I'm glad the therapy is going well. It's honestly remarkable at how fast recovery can be for replacements these days only eclipsed by how fast they get folks up and walking post-surgery.
    I agree Jim. My therapist told me that advancements in how they are done has evolved from a major surgery to an out patient surgery. He said the first implants actually had a post in the bone that the bone had to grow around. So a couple weeks in the hospital and the patient couldn't put any weight on it for a while. Modern replacements in crude terms like an inlay on the end of the bone. While they are still glued to the bone the ability to place weight on them is almost immediate. I don't know exactly how it all works but mine was done robotically with the "router" being controlled by the surgeon. I had a small incision above and below the knee where the "legs" sat on my bones. Technology has advanced so many things in the medical field as well.

bruce when they do your brain make sure the jar doesnt say AB Normal

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 09-04-2021 at 10:16 AM.