Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The root of all evil..

Wow, that thing on the trailer really brings it all to scale. The original listing on woodweb made it appear large, but on the trailer it looks enormous.

I knew they were rare. 40 in existence is very rare. Almost makes you want to own something that unique.

FYI: I found out Axelson made a 49x196 lathe. I could not find any thing about it. That is over four feet diameter by 16 feet between centers. Smaller ones had 8.5 inch spindle bore. That spindle bore is more then the biggest stuff I have ever turned.
    Who says they never made big machine tools in the west.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 01-26-2020 at 1:55 AM.

I get it Patrick. I've seen it too.
    Hang tough.
    Fred
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-26-2020 at 10:51 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Wow, that thing on the trailer really brings it all to scale. The original listing on woodweb made it appear large, but on the trailer it looks enormous.

I knew they were rare. 40 in existence is very rare. Almost makes you want to own something that unique.
    I doubt there is half that number still around.

Found this,

Figure anyone else as carried away as I am about these wonderful pieces of history might appreciate more material to nerd out on.

And oh boy that train would you look at that train.

I’m not much into trains but I sense a theme brewing here.

My new gig building or as I am being told organ people often also really like trains. I have been aware of people whom like trains my whole life but never really stopped to get it till I saw this picture.

Im Pretty sure I’ll end up with it bad for organs as I have with old machinery as a woodworker. I can also see the multifaceted mechanical and romantic appeal of a old train suddenly.

I’m must be getting old. To think I was once a kid preocupied by the lunatic fringe cutting edge of pop culture. Now it’s old iron anything. So glad I don’t have kids as where would I find the time or resources to recognize all this great fun.

Man not working weekends or like 70hr weeks sure gives one time to get a bit carried away.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-26-2020 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Removed Forum Link

20191108_165451.jpg

It just really depends on the length you would like. 20191108_165451.jpg

I have a late 1800s fay and scott pattern makers lathe that I can get 9 feet between centers, but it's a bit light for heavy work.

Patrick, maybe you should just see if you can go work for Darcy and live vicariously through his shop machines. It's be way cheaper in the long run.

Nah I have a bad habit of making my passion my work.

Generally in many ways what they say holds true on both sides of the grass.

Make your passion your job and it becomes a job.

But you know I’d rather ruin a good passion doing something I can’t least tolerate then find another passion.

So I’ll keep my machinery fetish as my hobby that mingles side by side with my vocation as a maker.

Gotta have something to always be fired up about and excited by.

At least I do as we all know get this thing once. I feel pretty strong that we had better be enjoying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Meyer View Post
    Patrick, maybe you should just see if you can go work for Darcy and live vicariously through his shop machines. It's be way cheaper in the long run.

Face it, sooner or later you are going to need a pattern mill. Might as well lower the basement floor several feet.

http://vintagemachinery.org/classifi....aspx?id=10973

Nah but I do want a full size milling machine.

Really I’m just supposed to be self employed.

Sad for me I’m just not that personable or willing to take on all that self employment involves.

I am considering cutting into my floor near my door to recess a hydronic lift table.

I have also really considered excavating my yard digging down deeper than my now foundation. Pouring a abutting foundation, engineering a slab ceiling to the whole thing with Allan planted atop it. All with some kind of elevator or hatch probably within a shed of some sort to get a machines and work in and out.

I’m serious before I just wanted to leave I was close to calling the engineers In.

Now being pretty happy with the new job and hopeful it has longevity and not wanting to screw up my 12 minute commute I may have to revisit my bunker shop idea.

And stop being a wise guy. That add is from 2016. What kinda torment are you trying to invoke upon me lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Face it, sooner or later you are going to need a pattern mill. Might as well lower the basement floor several feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post

I need to get mine running. Lol