Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Windows 11

There is a media creation tool from Microsoft for Windows 11. Search for "Windows 11 Media Creation Tool". It was the first link that popped up for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kilroy View Post
    Is anyone else concerned that the home addition requires a Microsoft account? This alone is keeping me away from windows 11. But then again I only a few steps away from wearing a tinfoil hat so maybe it's just me.
    I must be missing something here. You have to have accounts for many things so I'm not sure why a Microsoft account is more worrisome for you. Unless your cell phone isn't a smart phone you have an account with it. Just curious why this one is a bigger deal for you.

Blog Entries
    I don't like having to have a Google account on my cell either but I started that when I was to young to know better so now I'm trapped.

Is anyone else concerned that the home addition requires a Microsoft account? This alone is keeping me away from windows 11. But then again I only a few steps away from wearing a tinfoil hat so maybe it's just me.
    I don't like having to have a Google account on my cell either but I started that when I was to young to know better so now I'm trapped.
    If having to have Google/Microsoft accounts is high up on your list of problems, you have to admit you've got a pretty good life.

So start paying cash for everything, switch to a flip-phone, run Linux on your PC, and hook to the net through a VPN.
    When you get tired of sweating the small stuff, reassess your priorities. Or not.

Thus endeth the Thanksgiving Day sermon.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    I do run Linux for the most part. I've got a Mac I use for audio editing.

I've had an LG Rebel smart phone for several years. No google, no i-anything, and for those choices, I get nary a scam phone call.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I've had an LG Rebel smart phone for several years. No google, no i-anything, and for those choices, I get nary a scam phone call.
    Doesn't the LG Rebel use Android OS which is a Google product? I don't know how the OS on a phone has anything to do with scam calls. My parents still have a landline and they won't even answer the landline these days due to all the scam calls they. (I always call my father's cell phone.)

Yes, that's an Android device and Android is Google's adaptation of Linux, more or less, for portable devices. With the exception of Google branded devices (Pixel) and a very rare third party device, the Android on a given phone may have been altered by the phone manufacturer or the carrier or both. At this point, you either use Android or iOS if you have a mobile device, outside of the rare but deadly "it only makes calls" phone that's hard to come by. Windows Phone is "gone" as is Blackberry's mobile OS.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

yeah, my phone uses a google OS but nothing else. Google tried its damndest to get me to turn on my microphone. One of my kids disabled the 'ask' and it's left me alone ever since.

My needs are simple: I use my cell maybe 3 times a week, if that. I take pics and video, call the wife and sometimes the kids, I occasionally send/get texts. Pics and vids I offload to a hard drive, not some cloud. The creek, some boaters and some RV'ers via online forums account for 100% of my "social media", absolutely none via 'portable device'...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    I just got a new laptop with Win 11. So far I like the laptop, but I hate Winn 11. Where can I see a list of all the apps (programs) that are installed? How do I add another Icon to the tak bar at the bottom. So far it only lets me have 5. I can open the program and move the icon into the task bar, but as soon as I close the program, the icon vanishes.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Center icon on the dock at the bottom should be the similar to the menu function on Win10, if I'm not mistaken, and you likely can right click on any app to put it on the dock. I'm speculating as I don't have Win11 yet in a VM, but that would make sense based on things I've read about the new version. Or...I could be completely wrong.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Center icon on the dock at the bottom should be the similar to the menu function on Win10, if I'm not mistaken, and you likely can right click on any app to put it on the dock. I'm speculating as I don't have Win11 yet in a VM, but that would make sense based on things I've read about the new version. Or...I could be completely wrong.
    Not exactly.....first you have to add the app to start, then open the app and right click on the icon to select that it is added to the task bar. Some apps seem to do this automatically others not so much. Microsoft wants you to stay strictly with their approved apps from their store, which has a very limited selection of apps other than social media.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-28-2021 at 9:29 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I just got a new laptop with Win 11. So far I like the laptop, but I hate Winn 11. Where can I see a list of all the apps (programs) that are installed? How do I add another Icon to the tak bar at the bottom. So far it only lets me have 5. I can open the program and move the icon into the task bar, but as soon as I close the program, the icon vanishes.
    Windows button or the leftmost taskbar icon is the old 'Start' menu...main change is that you have to click 'All apps' to get the list. Find the app you want, it should have a 'Pin to Taskbar' option to get it there, plus a 'Pin to Start' to add it to the first page of the "new improved" Start Menu. There's a whole bunch of similar things that used to be available, either in the top-level Start Menu or the right-click option menus, that are now one level deeper. Nonfatal, but annoying enough in a "they moved my cheese" way that I reverted to Win10. At least you can move the icons back to the left edge using the 'Taskbar Options' dialog.

That's as much help as I can give you, since I'm now trying hard to forget I ever saw Win11.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Microsoft wants you to stay strictly with their approved apps from their store, which has a very limited selection of apps other than social media.
    Um, not really. That's true if your laptop came with Win11 in "S" mode ("safety"?), but it's easy enough (and free) to change it to the "real" Home version, and install apps from anywhere.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...f-031bfb28a307

I haven't used it a lot, but I don't find Windows 11 to be that difficult to get accustom to. From what I understand, it provides enhanced security so I'm willing to adapt to the changes they made.

However, I have two other computers that won't run Windows 11 so I'm going to be on Windows 10 for a while. They're good, powerful computers and I have no reason to purchase new ones.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.