Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: SMC Collaboration 01: Keepsake Box

I have a box of Cocobolo hinges that I made up here somewhere, depends on the size of the box. They were made for jewlery boxes, but I got on a roll and made a whole box full.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I have a box of Cocobolo hinges that I made up here somewhere, depends on the size of the box. They were made for jewlery boxes, but I got on a roll and made a whole box full.
    Larry,

Please post some pics/sizes of your hinges...I could scale the box to fit them.

This kinda reminds me of that commerical on TV where a couple walks into a high-end architect's office and plops a fancy looking faucet on his desk and asks him, "Design a house around this."
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Be it Jackie or Jackie and someone else, we will need to coordinate the carving effort with the inlay efforts. I can do most anything I just want to make sure it matches.
    I was thinking the same thing with regards to the top handle. This could turn into kitchen-sink-itus if we're not careful. I was originally picturing some sort of handle on the top of the box but the more I think about the other competing design elements up there, I think maybe a 2-part handle along the front edge and box with a couple small rare mags to close it? Might make for a cleaner canvas for the inlay/carving ??? I'd probably want to get a rough idea of what the turned drawer knobs would look like too, regardless of whether it's a top or front type handle.
    Use the fence Luke

One other thought, and maybe this is something that Ken and I might want to coordinate on between the knobs/handle. But here's a few wood choices I have available.
    Ebony - both Macassar and Ceylon (or it might be Madagascar, but it's black)
    Holly
    Picasso Rosewood (this is what Ron Brese calls it. He sent be some small pieces left over from one of his plane builds after I sent him some extra abalone plugs)
    Paduak
    Cherry
    Mesquite
    Walnut
    Maple
    Macacauba
    Myrtle
    Mango
    Ipe
    Purpleheart
    Sycamore
    Jatoba
    There's probably something else lurking in the No-Kill Wood Shelter that I'm forgetting...

I tend to think one of the darker ones would be better for this but???
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    I was also starting to think of incorporating some lighter wood in the top, perhaps maple for example just so any laser work would show up better?? I guess this is a question more than anything as I dont know squat about the whole laser thing and what it can/cant do. Wide open for thought here so dont be shy folks step right up!!
    Jim,

I think that the lighter and softer the wood, the better the engraving will show up. Maple should be fine, but there are a few hardwoods that would be a problem.

I can engrave it as lightly as possible so that it almost looks like it was printed on there with ink and it doesn't "feel" like it was engraved. Or I can burn it "deep" but then it looks....burned!

I can mask it with tape before I engrave it and then color fill it with any color paint.

I can engrave using any font and I can engrave any graphic or photo (just in case you wanted to incorporate Dewey's mug on the box).

I can engrave out the text.....or I can engrave everything BUT the text. I'm including two pictures of illustrating this technique. These two items were cheap basswood pieces that I picked up at Michaels and donated to one of our local schools that was having a fundraiser to benefit a summer camp for terminally ill kids.

I would also prefer that someone else choose the font and layout, as I'm not very creative!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Wow Steve thats impressive, I dont know much about the lasers but it looks like they are amazing tools. So to you and everyone else what about incorporating a maple or similar top? Maybe a frame and panel top where the panel is maple? Thinking out loud here. Also the only reason I was using Walnut was I happen to have a nice 60 year old plank about 12" wide and 6' long that I have been hoarding for some time now. Since we have yet to begin we are not locked into anything yet.

Deweys mug on the top? Hhmmm LOL
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Yea.....the LASERS are amazing! You guys have talent....I just know how to use a computer!

If you want to go with a dark wood, here is a picture of a cheap winebox showing the engraving color filled with a gold paint.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Larry,

Please post some pics/sizes of your hinges...I could scale the box to fit them.

This kinda reminds me of that commerical on TV where a couple walks into a high-end architect's office and plops a fancy looking faucet on his desk and asks him, "Design a house around this."
    I'll dig out the box of hinges this afternoon. I have not seen them in years so I can not remember the size exactly. I made them in long lengths so they could be cut to the desired length. I may have other species. I will send you a pair for a start, and you can build your house around them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    ... (just in case you wanted to incorporate Dewey's mug on the box)...
    Please don't! That is a guaranteed way to make this the ugliest box known to man and would not sell. We would have to pay someone to take it
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clarkson View Post
    Yea.....the LASERS are amazing! You guys have talent....I just know how to use a computer!

If you want to go with a dark wood, here is a picture of a cheap winebox showing the engraving color filled with a gold paint.
    I like it Steve! We'll give the others a chance to chime in here but it looks good to me so I think walnut would be fine. I started thinking and I just dont want it to turn into "Frankenbox" with too many mixed matched woods would everyone agree?? So if we can keep it walnut flavored I think that might work better. Just my opinion though mind ya.

Dewey, we need to go ahead and make a decision on the charity, I think that has to me on the top of the box dont you??
    For everyone that doesnt know, after talking with Keith Outten our fearless admin, it was suggested by Keith that we do the box for an outside charity and not for SMC. This would show an effort on the part of SMC to reach out for to the community and help others which in turn would come back 10 fold to SMC. I agree with Keith here so I have been researching charities and trying to decide on one. I thought maybe later today or tomorrow I will make a new post listing all the prospective choices. We will put it to a vote with EVERYONE not just the collaborators voting, we'll do it in POLL format. I think this is a great way to determine the charity. In the meantime you guys hit me with your suggestions so I can add them to the master list.

Well, look at that. As far as I know, only a MODERATOR or ADMINISTRATOR can upgrade a post to a sticky!

Okay, I've attached some exported .JPG files from SU of the jewelry box I posted about in my earlier post.

The purplish colors are the flocking and fabric areas. The tan parts are plywood. The cherry colored pieces (sorry, no walnut color available in my SU) are, well, solid cherry (1/2" stock, internal divider is 1/4" stock).

I don't have any details about joinery or sliding mechanism for the drawer. I also don't have any details for hinges or necklace holders, pouches, etc.

The lid has a figured "inlay" on it.

I'll work on posting the SU file (too big for a direct attachment here) a little bit later so that others can use it.

So let's start with this one and start modifying it to whatever y'all want. I'm not married to this but since I could grab my wife's jewelry box and copy it in SU, it was a good place to start.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-07-2009 at 12:41 PM.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

NEEDED Standby builders... and closeout

All,
    We have all of the builders we need at this point so box construction will start This weekend. What we do need it a list of volunteers to take on the projects of each builder in case we get into a jam causing the box to sit and not be worked on (IE. If Jim wrecks his truck into his house and can’t work on the box for another 3 weeks).

If interested sign up here or PM me or Jim.

Also the build is now closed. We have so many ideas we can barley think strait so we are just going to get it started with what we have now and go for it. As for the wooden hinges please contact Jim ASAP as he needs those built into the design for the lid.
    Dewey

For Steve:

Here is what I had in mind for the bottom. Can you do this?
    Last edited by Dewey Torres; 02-07-2009 at 2:22 PM.
    Dewey

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey Torres View Post
    Here is what I had in mind for the bottom. Can you do this?
    How about adding the URL in parenthesis under the logo?
    Use the fence Luke