Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Sawstop Injury I didn't think this could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jack forsberg View Post
    First of all fingers saves are just triggered devices. No accounting for severity of the injury nor is it compare to anything .
    Jack makes good points. I've also said this before--many times, a safety device breeds complacency and/or over-confidence. It will take a lot of time and data to figure out what changes in serious injuries happen for what reasons.

The absolutists who say "it's better than nothing" clearly have not studied psychology and statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post

Why are you grouping all other cabinet deficiencies in the discussion of the finger-saving technology? That is the point I don't understand.

Simon
    I rest my case I have nothing else to say.
    jack
    English machines

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    Jack makes good points. I've also said this before--many times, a safety device breeds complacency and/or over-confidence. It will take a lot of time and data to figure out what changes in serious injuries happen for what reasons.

The absolutists who say "it's better than nothing" clearly have not studied psychology and statistics.
    Seen a lot of electronic fail in my years And of course saw stop people are bypassing the device. How dangerous
    jack
    English machines

It does amaze me how one tool, that doesn't get much use in a cabinet shop, creates so much content.

As far as it not developing complacency, you are full of it and haven't paid attention to humans. Anything you do that pads you from the reality of consequences will make people more complacent. One of the fanatics years ago asked would I ride a motorcycle differently with a helmet on? Of course I do. Riding three blocks in shorts, sunglasses, and flip flops turns me into the world's most careful motorcyclist. Put me in full leathers with an ambulance on the side of a track, ready to vacuum up my parts, and my survival instincts drop to nothing.

The reason why humans have become the most powerful species on the planet...Is they have the ability to reason! No other animal possesses these traits to this extent. Ultimate power, ultimately corrupts.

So let’s just put the two reds together.

I know this machine will cut my fingers off in milli seconds. I have the power and money to buy a Machine that will not hurt me. I have the power and money to not have to take any trainings courses. I have the power and money to disregard/remove any safety guards provided by the manufacturer.

Tonight I took all the guards off my saw. I raised the blade to 5 inches above the table(18”blade) then cut a solid piece of cherry, using only a short fence, 5/4 thick. 7.2” wide rip, 29” long, with no push sticks, no riving knife, no safety glasses, no dust collection, No SS. I did Percision dress the fence & table sides of the board to take out any rocking.

It was a pretty cool adrenaline rush. I didn’t know the ends of my fingers had sweat glands until I looked at the board after the 20 Second cut.

For crap sake don’t remove your guards. And use your ability to reason.
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 07-18-2018 at 11:36 PM.

Oh Matty, apples and horseshoes.

These threads never change and we hear the same things every time.

The electronics will fail....

One becomes complacent...

It is safer without guards....

One can pay attention 100% of the time...

One has so much experience that they never will get hurt....

Time to move on as people will not change their minds.. as I have said before, if you want a Sawstop then get one and if you hate them don't get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post

Time to move on as people will not change their minds.. as I have said before, if you want a Sawstop then get one and if you hate them don't get one.

Not enjoying the debate Larry?.... maybe it's time for you to move on.

The debate is a comedy of replies......

The only thing funnier than endless debates on safety items on various forums is the people who feel the need to tell everyone else to stop talking. You know you don't have to open this thread, right?

The motorcycle analogy is PERFECT! We have a saying in motorcycling; ATGATT. All the gear, all the time. Non-thinking people who look down on anyone who isn't fully leathered up for every single ride. It basically results in these same debates, where a certain vocal minority calls everyone else dumb for not doing that, and people who make decisions and compromises try to reason with them. It just hit me that the Sawstop and guards are ATGATT for the shop.

And yes, in spring and fall, when the weather changes from cold or hot to awesome, I do some short rides without any gear, even a helmet. I'm an adult, I can make choices. And I'm the most careful rider ever during those rides. Just like when I have to work without guards, I'm double conscious of my fingers, feed, etc.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Alvarez View Post
    The only thing funnier than endless debates on safety items on various forums is the people who feel the need to tell everyone else to stop talking. You know you don't have to open this thread, right?
    Darn! I just opened this thread with the intention of expressing surprise that it was still perpetuating . . .

You are, of course, absolutely right. Ya got me!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

problem with the bike anology is its no always up to you. Had a friend spend alot of time on the back wheel of his Ninja. Sold it cause he knew he was riding an edge and it could be life changing. Year later he bought a more powerful Ninja. In europe I saw four people pass me two on each bike full leathers, I thought geez most ive ever done is a leather jacket. Later in the day we came up on a traffic jamb, all four were killed. Car pulled out that didnt see them no front ends on the bikes.

Problem id have with a bike example is with the saw its you and the saw and the material, its if you screw up, its what you know or dont know. At least its not some moron coming out of no where attacking you.

The debate is a comedy of replies......
    We are the generation of grumpy old man. I’ll pass along this series of videos will tell the position. But if you happen to be a grumpy old man you may not find Your self amused

video=youtube;NyByBORmtH0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyByBORmtH0&list=PL6C0E574A11906EE9
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-20-2018 at 5:25 PM. Reason: video is inappropriate for family viewing
    jack
    English machines

Blog Entries
    Folks, this thread has run its course. Let's let it die......
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Folks, this thread has run its course. Let's let it die......
    Hi Lee,

The forum is a social meeting place where we come to meet, discuss, debate, joke around, keep in-touch, learn and exchange ideas, participate or just sit back and watch the show.

A couple of days ago this thread had 10,560 views it is now up to 12,355 with active participation daily, hardly seems to me that it has run its course.

I don't understand Why anyone would want to see a thread end that has continued interest and participation; maybe you could explain that to me.

It is not mandatory for anyone to participate, so the ones that do are doing so willingly.

No need to kill it, or try hurry up its demise by telling us to move on, it will die of natural causes when interest ceases.