Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walnut shavings for plant mulch?

Walnut is acidic and some plants do not like acid soil. Western USA plants tend to like alkali because the deserts are alkali. Hydrangeas reversibly change color from pink to blue depending on soil acid or base.
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Although, as previously indicated, the juglone is present primarily in the buds, bark, twigs, leaves, husks, nuts (the epicarp), and roots of walnut trees and not so the wood to any significant degree, here is a list of plants that tolerate and which do not tolerate juglone :

Plants observed to be sensitive to juglone : vegetables - asparagus, cabbage, eggplant, pepper, potato, tomato; fruit - apple, blackberry, blueberry; landscape plants - azalea, rhododendron, hydrangea, lilac, saucer magnolia, white pine, potentilla, peony, privet and yew.

Plants observed to be tolerant of juglone : vegetables - lima beans, snap beans, beets, corn, onions, parsnips, squash; fruit - cherry, black raspberry; landscape plants - red cedar, crabapple, burning bush, forsythia, hawthorn, pachysandra, redbud, most viburnums and winter creeper.
    Two things: first, while there is some juglone in leaves and nuts, it's the roots hat do nearly all the damage to other plants. There just isn't enough that survives decomposition or incorporation of the leaves into soil to be much of a problem. But the roots release it directly where it is absorbed by other plants, and as noted, for many species it is deadly. And, because roots spread much further than the crown of a tree, you really want to be far away - at least twice the crown spread - from a walnut if you're growing sensitive plants like solanaceas and rose family plants. It's also fairly persistent - it can take quite a few years for the area around a walnut stump to be clear enough of juglone to be friendly to those very sensitive plants.

Second, don't trust the lists completely. I've had yews growing under walnuts for decades, e.g., and I know from experience that some squash can be sensitive and that cucumbers definitely are. Grapes are highly variable - those with a fair amount of Europea (Vitus vinifera) being more sensitive, but North American (Vitus riparia and labrusca) handling things pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by David Metzman View Post
    Thanks - I was just about to start a new thread on this.
    15 years, 5 months...is that a record for "zombie thread" revival?

(It predates the join date of anyone who has posted on its current incarnation...)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post

(It predates the join date of anyone who has posted on its current incarnation...)

Pretty good record I'd say Lee.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post

I plead guilty.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night