Thread: Old or New Saw Stop PCS

Old or New Saw Stop PCS

I need some help here. I am about to pull the trigger on a new Saw Stop PCS at the local Woodcraft store. Today I found out that Saw Stop is coming out with a new PCS in August. It is lighter and smaller and cost less. All the same features except more in line with the size of the other saw manufactures. Any thoughts as to me going with the old tried and true or wait for this new saw to take over? My small shop can handle the bigger saw, so that is not the problem. Any advice would be great.

Thanks, Frank

Sounds like they are undoing all of the features that attracted me to the saw, beyond the obvious safety advantages.

I was not aware of the new model, but if the savings are not real significant I would want the heavier larger tool.

BTW: I love mine and don't regret buying it.
    Last edited by Mac Cambra; 06-11-2009 at 7:10 PM.

The PCS (professional cabinet saw) is the new one, about the same size as a unisaw. The original is the ICS (industrial cabinet saw), 200 lbs heavier.

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    The PCS is NOT a replacement for the Industrial Cabinet Saw. It is a NEW smaller cabinet saw that fills the gap between the ultra-large Industrial, and their Contractor's Saw.

The PCS is great, and unless you really need more than 3HP, there may not be any major incentive to spend the extra money on the Industrial. The PCS also comes with rails and fence whereas the Industrial does not.

Cheers
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

Frank, agreed as to what the others said, the PCS is not the same as the ICS, but is a great value and I would be suprised if you need more saw. According to the website, you can preorder the PCS now for under $3,000 with fence and rails, which IMHO is a great deal ( with the caveat I haven't looked the new Delta over which is in the same price range) I have read that sawstop will also be making a hybrid and I assume that will be cheaper than the PCS, don't know when that will hit the market.

The PCS has the trunnions mounted to the table like the contractor saw, but with an enclosed cabinet. I thought that was a "hybrid". In my understanding, what makes a cabinet saw a cabinet saw is that the trunnions mount to the cabinet (hence the name). What more could SS do to make something a "hybrid"? Without knowing something about the newer version, I'm not so sure I'd wait.

BTW, I've seen the new Delta. Lots, lots more cast iron in the trunnion (single piece, no more plural on this one). It also has a deeper top, with most of the depth in front of the blade, convenient for handling large sheet goods. The riving knife has 2 positions, up for through cuts and lower for slotting type cuts. These adjustments are made by pulling a lever in front and pulling or pushing the knife. It can also be removed or installed this way. Some other frills too. It's a sweet looker.

Two things concern me about this saw. They both concern cables, one for the riving knife and one for the tilt guage. They are both cables like a bike has for brakes and gear changes. They will have to be lubed, and even with dry lube, the sawdust buildup may cause some maintainence problems. They've shrouded the blade for better DC, so it may not become an issue.

Side by side, the Delta looks more impressive than the PCS. It's what's inside that a buyer has to weigh. Wish I had that problem!

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Crawford View Post

Two things concern me about this saw. They both concern cables, one for the riving knife and one for the tilt guage. They are both cables like a bike has for brakes and gear changes. They will have to be lubed, and even with dry lube, the sawdust buildup may cause some maintainence problems. They've shrouded the blade for better DC, so it may not become an issue.
    That is the Unisaw... not the PCS just to clarify.
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Crawford View Post
    The PCS has the trunnions mounted to the table like the contractor saw, but with an enclosed cabinet. I thought that was a "hybrid". In my understanding, what makes a cabinet saw a cabinet saw is that the trunnions mount to the cabinet (hence the name). What more could SS do to make something a "hybrid"? Without knowing something about the newer version, I'm not so sure I'd wait.

BTW, I've seen the new Delta. Lots, lots more cast iron in the trunnion (single piece, no more plural on this one). It also has a deeper top, with most of the depth in front of the blade, convenient for handling large sheet goods.
    The new PCS saw is as much a cabinet saw as the new Delta. I own the new PCS so I may be partial to it. The trunion on the new SS PCS are mounted to the cabinet NOT THE TABLE like a contractor saw. I have had to adjust my table, it is really easy, not so with a trunion that is mounted to the table. I have looked over a new Delta very closely at my dealer. It is a nice saw but IMHO the trunion is no beefier than the new SS PCS, I think they are equal. The SS has a gas shock on it to help lowering and rasing the blade. I do like the table on the Delta beter because it is larger, that is really nice. The fences are equal in my opinion, the riving nife is much nicer on the delta. And then the SS has a blade brake too. The delta is a nice saw but other than the larger table I don't think it has anything the SS PCS doesn't.

What makes a hybrid . . .

A large part of what makes a saw a hybrid (I think) is the size of the motor -- it has a cabinet design, but generally has a smaller motor (1.5 to 1.75 hp vs. 3 or higher). Also, most saws that I have seen called hybrids are wired for 110 (though may be re-wired for 220).

Cheers,

Chris
    If you only took one trip to the hardware store, you didn't do it right.

Frank,

Thanks for making that clarification. I guess I thought everyone should just read my mind! It's a very short story.

Paul,

There must be different versions somehow. The SS I saw had the enclosed cabinet but the trunions mounted to the table. They looked identical to the contractors saw. It's being called a PCS. It's actually a model that was in field testing, so maybe it's really one of the hybrids they're working on, and just got the wrong name put on it. I'll have to do some more investigating to see what it really is.

Now you really have my curiosity up about the true PCS. I wanna see one!

Greg if you make a trip up to MN you are welcome to stop in and see mine. I have not seen the other saw you are talking about. As far as I know, but I could be wrong, there are only 3 saws from SS in use right now, the contractor, the PCS, and the ICS. You can tell the contractor from the 2 cabinets saws easily. The visual difference between the PCS and the ICS is table width 27" vs 30", motor cover plastic and on the left on the PCS. The hand wheels are 7" compare to 8" and that is about it as far as I know. I know SS is plaing on releasing another saw with the basic aluminum fence and a 1 1/2 hp motor in an inclosed cabinet. But I have a hard time believing that the trunion wouln't be mounted to the cabinet on that one too. We will just have to wait and see I guess.

the rumor I heard was the current PCS setup, with a smaller 1.75 motor was coming, but I don't remember where I saw that, so it's all heresay. I don't know if a relatively small company would try to produce a 4th "form factor" (if you will) to squeeze in between the contractor and PCS (ie cabinet enclosure but table mounted trunions,etc). But that's just my thinking.
    Where did I put that?