Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lamello Tenso

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    The Tenso is not a knock down connection, correct?
    the tenso can be attached, pulled apart, and re-attached, so i would consider that at least a form of a knock-down connector.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    Larry, I have built boxes (no space to drag in box) using Clamex connectors, and strength wise they seem fine if you follow the spacing suggestions. Like many other EU companies, they have test data in their catalog. I pasted a a snip of the recommended capacity for the Clamex below. They have tested other configurations as well.

For adjustment, I find you can move the Clamex a 1 - 2mm in either direction. The play comes from the fit between the plastic parts. I cannot see a way to make anymore play in these either due to the way the blades cuts the slot. To make adjustments with the clamex, you simply force into place and then tighten the hex. On the other hand, the tenso snaps into place, and you are pretty much cooked. I like testing the fit parts, so I find I use the clamex more. The downside of the clamex is the 6mm hole for the hex key. I find most times a small 6mm hole can be allowed for in most applications and they do sell 6mm plugs in various colors.

I have used the Zeta P2 in both solid and hardwood. The basic blade is the same diameter as the standard lamello, but the tips are wider so when it moves up/down, it makes a deeper groove for the connectors. The blade cuts about the same as a standard lamello. The up/down movement is very small, and I have never found a problem in cherry. I do find I have to cut fairly slow in hardwoods to make sure the machine does not torque during the plunge and move sideways.

The tenso is a one time application. Click, and done. It is not removable. Those connectors are much less expensive since they do not have a metal hex that drives up the cost. You need three parts for these. The insert to make the male connector clicks in very easily so long as you have their little plastic insert tool (cheap).

For anyone with a CNC, the Lamello cabineo is hands down the best option if you want to build on site or do not have all the fancy case clamps.

Attachment 424043
    Attachment 424046
    Thanks, but I was looking for how they hold up in the real world. For example I make traditional cabinets and the uppers are always one piece, but was wondering how they would work for the dividers. The dividers are carrying half the weight of the shelves and contents, so what would you say to that? Really need to get my hands on one. Would hate for it to be another Domino, sitting under the bench in a pretty box and seldom used.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 01-19-2020 at 6:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Would hate for it to be another Domino, sitting under the bench in a pretty box and seldom used.
    Glad to know mine isn't the only one!

Quote Originally Posted by David Zaret View Post
    the tenso can be attached, pulled apart, and re-attached, so i would consider that at least a form of a knock-down connector.
    Thank you David, I meant can they be taken back apart, knock down was the wrong term.

Larry, i am not sure how much day to day use you would find for this. Locating the connectors in the middle of a panel is about as fussy as dowels. If you have two surfaces to index from, then these connectors works just as easily as the domino. When I have made boxes with dividers, my CNC drills pilot holes to locate the slots. The Zeta P2 has holes for 5mm locator pins that fit in the holes drilled by the CNC. If your goal is to build faster, and are happy with dados, dowels, or something along those lines, I doubt this will be something you like. I work by myself 99% of the time, so when I have large boxes, knock down is important. Below you will see an example pantry unit before the face frames are installed. The circled divider was connected to the other cabinets parts using Clamex connectors. Was there other solutions, for sure, but my shop is too small and moving the completed unit would not work for me. Strength wise, I do not think there will be a problem with dividers. I have a few boxes in an engineering office and they are stacked full of 6" stacks of 24"x36" drawings. Never a problem. As far as racking, I would say a cabinet built using these would suffer the same type of failure as cabinets with the traditional RTA connectors. I am a small shop, so I think you need to talk to someone that uses the device more. I have only went thru a 1000 or so of these connectors, so someone from Colonial Saw would be a better person for you. One of the guys regularly posts on the woodweb when people are looking for solutions to odd applications.

Pantry_EX.jpg
    Pullout.jpg

I have never been able to take apart a tenso connector without destroying the panels, but would be curious to see a jig if someone is. They are intended as clamping elements, so once the male plastic tines engage the female they are very tight. There are videos and links below showing the actual connector in use.

https://www.lamello.com/product/p-sy...er/tenso-p-14/
    Tenso.PNG
    Last edited by Brad Shipton; 01-20-2020 at 1:19 PM.

Thanks Brad. The other use I had in mind is attaching face frames to the case. I always used biscuits and clamped, but since the changes mandated in paints a couple of years ago the paint gets hard a lot slower and have been having issues. Hate kreg screws and they are not always an option anyway but this would eliminate the need for clamps if it works for that application.

Also, I too am getting old and although in the past I have always made boxes as big as possible, I have to face the fact that I am not superman any more. I recently picked up some cabinetwork on the fourth floor of a house, and separate boxes with a one piece face frame sounds much easier. Everything I get lately is inset, so the need for precision is great. Have you used to attach face frames?

Thanks. Larry

I have a contact at Colonial Saw who supplies us with the Lamello stuff. PM if you'd like his name.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Actually Eric as soon as I wrap up the kitchen I am on I am heading to Spring Branch to help my buddy Corky Bell. So will be in your neighborhood.

larry, i build high-end, inset furniture and cabinets, and routinely use the lamello connectors to do exactly as you're describing - attach the face frame to a carcass, or to miter-wrap the face frame to finished panels, etc. prior to the lamello, i used my domino, or biscuits, and clamps/glue.... the lamello has taken the clamping out of the equation.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Actually Eric as soon as I wrap up the kitchen I am on I am heading to Spring Branch to help my buddy Corky Bell. So will be in your neighborhood.
    As in, Corky Bell of the motorsports world?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    As in, Corky Bell of the motorsports world?

Erik

Ya, he is a buddy of mine, we worked on a couple of projects together. I was down last winter, but right after I left Mary [his wife] had a stairs accident and passed away. He's a little down and I always love the conversations with him that range all over the map. Besides, its time for a roadtrip and its warm down there!