Thread: Infinity pro table saw blade combo

Infinity pro table saw blade combo

Hi all,

I'm considering springing for a matched set of blades for my SS PCS. Infinity Tools has an attractive 3 piece set for $220. But, backordered in full kerf. (https://www.infinitytools.com/3-pc-p...RoCOX0QAvD_BwE)

Anyone have experience with these infinity blades or alternative suggestions? I've a mongrel collection of blades of varying kerf size and blade diameters, which leads to fiddling on a SS. Freud seems to be especially challenging because some are under 10" and some are a true 10"...

Best,
    Chris
    Last edited by Christopher Charles; 01-13-2022 at 12:55 AM.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Two of three blades in the set have depth of cut limiting shoulders on the teeth. SawStop doesn't recommend such blades for its saws:

"Blades with depth-limiting shoulders may take longer to stop in the event of an accident than standard
    blades, and you could receive a more serious injury. Therefore, SawStop recommends using blades without
    depth-limiting shoulders." https://www.sawstop.com/images/uploa..._PCS_300_2.pdf

I bought a two blade set from Infinity when my PCS was new several years ago. The ripper is not a simple flat tooth design like they illustrate for the ripper in this set and it did not cut as well as my normal Freud 24 tooth ripper. If this one is really just a flat top, it should be OK. The 50 tooth combo blade is the other one I got and it is fine. Works the same as my Freud and DeWalt blades of the same design. My blades are full kerf. I have since decided to "standardize" on thin kerf for my 1.75hp PCS. Most of the time the full kerf cut well but occasionally I get a piece of wood that warps the kerf closed or something like that and the saw struggles. This seems to be less of an issue with thin kerf blades. But for 3hp or more, full kerf should be fine.

I may not buy anything but Freud blades going forward, however, at least for my table saw. I have been consistently happy with them. Experience with others has been more inconsistent. The prices are low enough you can't save much on other brands. I would check to see how much you would save buying the Infinity set versus just buying the same design blades made by Freud.

Ray, thanks for confirming about the shoulders.

Jim, thanks for sharing your experience. I also have the 1.75 hp version but will likely stick with full kerf. I am also strongly considering moving to all Freud as well given my generally good experience with them, reasonable price and wide availability.

Best,
    Chris
    --Yogi Berra

I don’t use many Freud blades anymore. I get better durability with CMT for the same money.

I'm using Forrest WW-II 10" 40T blades on the PCS I have in my temporary shop. If I really need dedicated ripping for something gnarly, I have the 20T version, too. Silver's Mill is a good source. They have other brands, too, if you prefer. I honestly do not feel the need to swap blades very much and that means I need less blades types to be functional. I only go to a dedicated ripping blade if it's a very large batch and thicker than 5/4.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank Robert and Jim.

I'm leaning toward trying out CMT since they get good reviews. Forrest are tough to get right now, but Ridge are available and I almost ordered a couple this morning. A pair of Ridge are $100 more than same CMT (a 40T combo and an 80T plywood blade). And, frankly, I'm a bit concerned about investing 2-3x as much for Forrest or Ridge with a SS for marginal return on quality in case the brake fires. I do have a 30T WWII which is great for the thick stuff.

Best,
    Chris
    --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Charles View Post
    Anyone have experience with these infinity blades or alternative suggestions? I've a mongrel collection of blades of varying kerf size and blade diameters, which leads to fiddling on a SS. Freud seems to be especially challenging because some are under 10" and some are a true 10"...

Best,
    Chris
    Interesting about the Freud blades. I wonder if some are metric and some are imperial.

I've decided to stick to my intention to buy tools only as I need this year.... I've ordered a CMT plywood blade as I can get by with the other blades I have for the foreseeable future. I'll be curious to see if it is a true 10" or is also metric.
    --Yogi Berra

I've decided to stick to my intention to buy tools only as I need this year.... I've ordered a CMT plywood blade as I can get by with the other blades I have for the foreseeable future. I'll be curious to see if it is a true 10" or is also metric.
    Thats a good decision.

Also, I have tried all the common available blades over the past 10 years and my conclusion is there is nothing special with Infinity saw blades, Freud, or CMT...they are decent and step above what you find at the big box store. Only exception is the Freud Fusion blade. It cuts great, but due to high angle of teeth loses its sharpness quicker.

Thus, skip CMT and if you want a quality blade with beautiful cuts look at Forrest, Ridge Carbide, or Tenryu. There may be other not as well known brands or custom made blades that may be better, but these three are the best in my opinion, that I have tried.

I think I only have one CMT blade and it worked well. I think I still have it but it may need sharpened. I haven't identified anybody local that sharpens them and if I send it out, it costs about as much as another Freud. So I usually just buy another. But I did send a Freud 50 tooth to Ridge and they did a GREAT job on it. I think it cut better after their sharpening than it did new. But I think it came back a little smaller in diameter too which could be an issue for a SawStop since you have to get the blade to brake gap "right".

Anyway, I would have no issue with a CMT if I couldn't find a Freud at a reasonable price. If I decide to "splurge" on a higher priced blade it would probably be a Ridge.

I've been using a thin kerf Freud Fusion and I think that's what's on the saw at the moment. It's been working well but I think it needs cleaned. If it is dull, the thin kerf 50 tooth will go on. That style blade with 40 ATB and 10 rakers has always worked for me regardless of brand.

This is a bit off topic but with respect to big box blades, I got a 60 tooth Freud 7.25 inch blade for our "Evolution" track saw at church and was pleasantly surprised with how smoothly it cut. These are "throw away" blades but that is essentially how I treat my blades anyway.

Thank Robert and Jim.

I'm leaning toward trying out CMT since they get good reviews. Forrest are tough to get right now, but Ridge are available and I almost ordered a couple this morning. A pair of Ridge are $100 more than same CMT (a 40T combo and an 80T plywood blade). And, frankly, I'm a bit concerned about investing 2-3x as much for Forrest or Ridge with a SS for marginal return on quality in case the brake fires. I do have a 30T WWII which is great for the thick stuff.

Best,
    Chris
    Ridge Carbide wow just wow. I had to cross cut some Mahogany 2.5x5.5 inch stock recently on my ICS. Wanted a clean cut. Tried a Freud 80 tooth advertised as "glass smooth" cross cuts and got more tear out than expected. Put the Ridge Carbide 48 tooth Ultra Blade on, .125 kerf, wow near zero tear out it OWNED the Freud.