Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What magazines do you guys subscribe to?

What magazines do you guys subscribe to?

I'm new to wood working, and am wanting to subsrcibe to a magazine or 2, to learn some techniqes and get ideas for projects. What are you reading, and what do you like about it? Thanks for the info.

Justin

I subscribe to Wood Magazine, Woodsmith, Woodcraft Magazine, Wood Workers Journal.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

None. Cancelled all of them years ago. From time to time I will buy a copy of Fine Woodworking if it catches my eye near the HD checkout line

I get wood magazine and woodsmith. Thinking about woodworker's journal. I'll admit that I look through them and usually never touch them again.

Red
    RED

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Pfenning View Post
    I'm new to wood working, and am wanting to subsrcibe to a magazine or 2, to learn some techniqes and get ideas for projects. What are you reading, and what do you like about it? Thanks for the info.

Justin
    Hi Justin, the only magazine I subscribe to is Fine Woodworking.

It's the best of a bad lot, it will teach you the basics and hopefully inspire you to improve your skills and craft................Regards, Rod.

I like Wood Magazine for some of the plans and their shop tips. Sometimes I'll pick up Fine Woodworking if the projects catch my eye.

Blog Entries
    I had subscriptions to several and finally settled on Wood.
    NOW you tell me...

Wood. Few times a year it is $5 a year or so. I am prob paid up way past when the magazine will shut down.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I loved Wood for the first couple years. But the plans tended to repeat. Also, some of the plans like clocks tended to feel 'crafty' to me after a while. Not bad, just not my cuppa.

I continue to subscribe to Fine Woodworking Online. The searchable archives are wonderful. There are online extras to the paper mags, which are available in their entirety online with the subscription. I find FWW's tool reviews really good. They focus on furniture, which is my bag. Their plans are not as thorough as those in Wood, but their designs tend to be more sophisticated than those in Wood, so it can help those wishing to elevate their own design skills.

I like Popular Woodworking too, and find it very similar to FWW. So I'd pick one or the other.

You should also check out FWW's Shoptalk podcast. It's free like many podcasts. IMHO, it's the best of the three major ones out there. The others tend to have guys going on about projects they're working on. Shoptalk keeps it relevant to tools and techniques that you as a user can use.

Fine Woodworking since issue#1. Thinking about stopping, as they are covering the same topics over and over and over, and running excruciatingly long articles on how to build from specific plans. I wish they'd devote much more of their space to design, as there's a near infinite amount to be productively said on that subject whereas the 83rd article on how to cut a mortise and tenon or set up your bandsaw adds very little to what they've already published on the subject.

Fine Woodworking - going on three or four years now, after having been a past subscriber to Fine Home Building and Fine Gardening. As a technical writer myself, I like the way Taunton Press presents its content and makes use of both Web and paper based media.

Wood - a subscriber for almost 2 years now, I like that their audience is targeted more towards regular garage shop types like myself, though I imagine that as my knowledge and abilities progress I may be looking elsewhere for more advanced information on specific topics.

Justin,

We all have our magazine preferences, but for a newbie I would recommend Woodsmith and Wood Magazine.

Woodsmith contains extremely detailed and step by step plans and ideas for beginner to intermediate woodworkers with an emphasis on building skills. Each new technique that is covered in a plan is explained in a separate article. Woodsmith also maintains a an extensive "extras" library of tips and videos. They recently merged Shop Notes magazine into Woodsmith so now Woodsmith will also include wood shop ideas, jigs, and projects.

Wood Magazine is a woodworking magazine for the masses with monthly projects for beginners to intermediate woodworkers. many of their projects are style challenged" (personal opinion) but there are good projects to practice with and an emphasis on skill building.. .

Welcome to woodworking. Have patience with yourself.

None. Most of what I need is on the Web.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. I'll be checking these out on line, and at the book store.

Justin

I dropped them all, after subscribing to most of them at one time or another over the past 20+ years. The problem is that after a while, they just repeat. There are canned articles that you see over and over and over again. It doesn't take long until you've seen most of what they have to offer and you're just buying a magazine to be buying a magazine. I might look through them when I'm at the book store but rarely do I ever buy one. I think the day of physical magazines is gone.