Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new LC1390N (80 watt) that completely lost power- in machine gfci flips it off

It is a form of GFI and may also contain a circuit breaker and I suggested just above #29 its not really needed as long as you have branch circuit over current protection.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device < What Wiki says.

The actual device > https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...479089279.html
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Just saw this, those breakers are chinese junk, I've blown 3 or 4 of them over the years. Swap it out for a western made one that actually meets the specs it claims to
    You did what !

thank you Bill and John

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    It is a form of GFI and may also contain a circuit breaker and I suggested just above #29 its not really needed as long as you have branch circuit over current protection.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device < What Wiki says.

The actual device > https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...479089279.html
    Hey- I cannot thank you enough for all your help! I am going to look into this today and tomorrow- it is a little out of my comfort zone so hoping to bring an electrician of sorts into it- not sure- just one more test w.o the ground today.
    Just getting time away from the day job to focus. More soon! THANK YOU!!!

picture and another question

Its confusing because a couple of the pictures are rotated and the GFI is not just a GFI its a combo of some sort. Since that single outlet is really a power input as we all have on our desktop computers, printers and the like.

The simple thing to do first is what John said take off that un needed ground wire., Second try to switch those green/ turquoise wire and red wire around. No go? Put back the same way and start the troubleshooting as I said a few posts ago, one wire at a time.

But are we dealing with a GFI fault? Or a overload, as short or ground? You really don't need a GFI on a machine such as this, circuit breaker, sure maybe. Is the GFI button tripping or the red handle tripping like a CB would be? Its also possible the GFI / switch is bad.

Proof for that would be to bypass and plug directly into a fused cord set after the testing above found nothing.
    the thing I am unsure about is if switching the green/ turquoise wire and red wire around-- all of them or one set at a time or just the ones going into the gfi?

also if I get to the point to try to bypass the gfi - i drew my picture "of understanding" haha attached. gfciBypassMOVE.jpg

Blog Entries
    The two on bottom would be moved to the top position on the incoming outlet. Do remove wires that are there first.this would bypass the GFI entirely.

Your ground removal​ test probably won't show any change, but it might. There may be a fault inside the machine that makes the GFI trip. Good luck, just get your help to take it slow. And safe.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

First just switch the red and turq wires around on the top of that GFI, you will need to unplug from power first and take the mounting screws off so you can get right to the front of it. Power up and see if the red handle stays up, if so that was it. re-install with the power unplugged again.

B. Still trips? Power unplugged. Take the wires from the bottom and put under the lugs at top. color to color. Turn your key switch off and push down the Red button, re-power, key on and stop switch twisted out machine powers up yeah bad GFI / CB. or lights dim and house circuit breaker trips. You have wiring issues, see my post way back on the one wire at a time thing.
    Good luck, and remember power is unplugged before touching wires!!

Blog Entries
    Ok, I'm scratching my head at your start button and emergency stop wiring. I'm not convinced it is wired right, but I'd have to trace to see for sure. They are using two colors, but one for each switch. I'll not say what I'm thinking, but I'm attaching pictures of my machine. Some will at least show what a cleaner set of connections should be. I think the main issue is the gfi you have installed right now. And your machine is a Bi power machine 115/220V.
    outside.jpgOutside back. I have a simple switch, no gfi, but it it a TWO pole switch. Cuts off BOTH Line and Neutral.
    inside back.jpgSimple, cord connection Black and red for the Line&neutral and Yellow/green is Ground
    insideback2.jpgBetter View of bottom,
    Black red out to the back outlets and the BLUE and RED out to the emergency stop switch
    underside.jpgAnd here is start stop button, emergency stop switch.
    See how both lines come into the emergency stop and then out to the start stop button and then out to rest of machine? I'm failing to trace yours like that.
    Your machine looks like they only are breaking one line, nothing on the other pole on either switch. It might work, but I'm not sure how.
    Your electrician may need to trace those and make sure things are kosher.
    swtop.jpg
    Switch top side.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    Ok, I'm scratching my head at your start button and emergency stop wiring. I'm not convinced it is wired right, but I'd have to trace to see for sure. They are using two colors, but one for each switch. I'll not say what I'm thinking, but I'm attaching pictures of my machine. Some will at least show what a cleaner set of connections should be. I think the main issue is the gfi you have installed right now. And your machine is a Bi power machine 115/220V.
    outside.jpgOutside back. I have a simple switch, no gfi, but it it a TWO pole switch. Cuts off BOTH Line and Neutral.
    inside back.jpgSimple, cord connection Black and red for the Line&neutral and Yellow/green is Ground
    insideback2.jpgBetter View of bottom,
    Black red out to the back outlets and the BLUE and RED out to the emergency stop switch
    underside.jpgAnd here is start stop button, emergency stop switch.
    See how both lines come into the emergency stop and then out to the start stop button and then out to rest of machine? I'm failing to trace yours like that.
    Your machine looks like they only are breaking one line, nothing on the other pole on either switch. It might work, but I'm not sure how.
    Your electrician may need to trace those and make sure things are kosher.
    swtop.jpg
    Switch top side.
    John hers is a single pole and as long as it breaks the hot side of the line its Code. Yours is double pole and appears to be just a circuit breaker only, and just used as a on-off switch. The Chinese description calls it a residual CB but if its a GFI there is no required "Test' button. As long as yours breaks both sides of the line its legal as a circuit breaker.

As far as if you have a 230 volt machine and break just one side of the line for control, that is also legal... I do not agree but the HVAC makers have been doing it for years and years. I stopped renewing my master electricians license when I retired but not much has changed.

Was it determined yet where that separate ground connection goes?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    What is that ground wire connected to (bottom left, first pic)?
    Matt, are you talking about the grouding wire connected on the outside of the machine? it is running to a grounding rod outside... but not sure if that is the wire you are asking about?

So what did you find wrong, or are you still working on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja Pete View Post
    Matt, are you talking about the grouding wire connected on the outside of the machine? it is running to a grounding rod outside... but not sure if that is the wire you are asking about?
    Yes, that is the one. It looks like your plug is already grounded, so if your outlet is too, you may not need that.

So what did you find wrong, or are you still working on it?
    Hi Bill,
    the green wire from the gfi is an n to n connection- so ruled out the wires from the gfi to the main plug- so that is ruled out
    also tried w/o the ground no luck,
    need to check or switch the bottom wires-
    but also am hoping to get a replacement RCCB (gfi) tomorrow- may to a local place for same specs, also ordering from alibaba.
    so that is where it is at today... onward.

Sorry so long to reply. Been away. If you are 120V then just be sure that the ground wire on the back of the Power Supply is in the right spot. Actually, you might try switching it around. But if GFI is not bad then maybe try flipping them. Otherwise I have nothing.
    Chinese 6040 by NiceCut. Originally 60 Watt upgraded to 150 Watt.....I thought I had pretty much every problem in the book of laser cutting. It turns out that there is a set of books.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja Pete View Post
    Hi Bill,
    the green wire from the gfi is an n to n connection- so ruled out the wires from the gfi to the main plug- so that is ruled out
    also tried w/o the ground no luck,
    need to check or switch the bottom wires-
    but also am hoping to get a replacement RCCB (gfi) tomorrow- may to a local place for same specs, also ordering from alibaba.
    so that is where it is at today... onward.
    What you are not understanding... is the Green wire is suppose to be N or neutral but could be reversed in the Input plug in the back and unless you reverse and try you will never know. The Chinese do not have the same electrical as us and could have been running it either on 220 (and switched over to 110 before shipping) or a transformer. Also its possible the GFI switch is good and you have an issue someplace in the machine and that has been suggested by myself and others. BTW if you think that GFI device is bad, contact the seller and have them supply one.

You have been given several suggestions on bypassing that GFI switch to see if its in the machine wiring. I have been troubleshooting and repairing electrical since 1962. I have learned a couple things in those few years, and I am still learning.
    Last edited by Bill George; 06-07-2017 at 1:04 PM.