Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken laser tube on new laser - need advice!

Question Broken laser tube on new laser - need advice!

Hi friends,

So I ordered my first Chinese laser, the laser itself is nice, it's a Mars-130 with a EFR ZN-1650 tube. However I drew the short straw on the tube. The tube is completely fried, lasted for less than 30 minutes of cutting. You can see the expanding black spot in the photo below and the top part of the tube just strobes when you are cutting, it does not fire the length of the tube (stopped firing correctly when same time as the black spot spread).

The manufacturer says they have an SPT 130w tube in stock but that seems like an awful trade to me. Switching from the EFR 130w I ordered. They claim it will take 45 days to get another EFR tube, which I called them on and they still insist it will take that long. What are you guys thoughts on this, am I getting screwed if I take the SPT tube? Is a reci tube more of a comparable trade if they will not budge on the EFR? What would you suggest?

20151009_001843.jpg
    Last edited by Keith Winter; 10-09-2015 at 2:26 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

I don't know anything about any of the Chinese tube manufacturers so I don't have an opinion on which is best (or least worst...), but I would tell them you'll take the SPF tube as a loaner until they can get you the EFR, seems very fair to me.

SPT S series are fine, basically a higher rated version of RECI (same layout) but avoid the C series, they are the cheaper versions
    You did what !

The same tube is available on Ebay with an expected delivery date of about a week. It's probably by DHL, though.

Second question. Let's say I buy a tube and then wait for them to send me the tube I ordered. They say it will take 45 days if I insist on the EFR tube they insist on testing it prior to shipping it to me. This means I would have two tubes that had been fired if only for a few times.

Does the clock start from the first time a chinese tube is fired, or would I be able to expect a couple years shelf life on the spare tube if I stopped using it, and kept in a in a climate controlled room with ac and humidity under control?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    Second question. Let's say I buy a tube and then wait for them to send me the tube I ordered. They say it will take 45 days if I insist on the EFR tube they insist on testing it prior to shipping it to me. This means I would have two tubes that had been fired if only for a few times.

Does the clock start from the first time a chinese tube is fired, or would I be able to expect a couple years shelf life on the spare tube if I stopped using it, and kept in a in a climate controlled room with ac and humidity under control?
    It starts on the day that is stamped on it for warranty

The mechanism of tube failure is pretty complicated brother, much of the time it's oxide contamination (tubes contain tiny amounts of oxygen) after being used that causes them to peg out, that said a tube that has just been test fired then stored will live for *some* time.A tube that has had a significant amount of use then stored won't live very long.

Problem is "some" time is an unknown factor....I've seen stores dead inside 6 months, I've seen stores work fine after 3 years....

Personally I never keep spare tubes these days, given most of mine are between $3,000 and £20,000 it's dead money if they fail before use
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    It starts on the day that is stamped on it for warranty
    I know this to be true... but for some reason seeing it made me chuckle
    Shenhui G460 80W RECI
    LIAOCHENG RAY FINE RF-6040-90W RECI
    Corel X5 Technical Suite, Windows 7

So thunder laser is being completely unreasonable. Trying to pawn off a SPT c series on me instead. They said the "SPT company boss" comes to their factory every week but that even an SPT S series will take a month to send. if he's there every week why can they not replace it with an S series SPT then as an secondary alternative?

Since they are unwilling to budge. I think I might buy one of those ebay EFR tubes as Matt suggested, and wait the month for them to send the proper replacement rather than take a cheapo tube. I ask because I have a couple more to potentially buy at the start of the year, their machine quality was better than expected, but this bait and switch on the tube is irritating. I wonder if I should give them a pass if they get the efr to me in a month or take this as a sign they are bad to do business with? Or is this just par for the course with chinese manufacturers?

Would you consider the 'c' tube if they doubled the warrantee? If so, see what they say- ?

I mean, what the hey-- how long did the 'good' tube last you?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Would you consider the 'c' tube if they doubled the warrantee? If so, see what they say- ?

I mean, what the hey-- how long did the 'good' tube last you?
    Haha very true Kev the "good" tube didn't last at all.

They only want to do a SPT C series it's pretty clear, no reason they couldn't just ask their supplier who already supplies to the SPT C to get the SPT S series for me, they even claim it's the same cost. They also claim even claim the "SPT company boss" comes by once a week, if they are so close, a SPT S series wouldn't be any trouble to get. I think they are telling tall tails .

I can see their side they have more experience with the SPT C since they sell it the most, but it's not good customer service to refuse to replace the same tube that was sold to the customer unless he "waits 30 days for testing". Lame excuse for digging in their heels because they just don't want to do it I think. My concern is I get the C series tube and it dies in 6 months I'm screwed and completely out. It's rated for 1/3rd the hours of the EFRs. if I get the EFR replacement and it's DOA at least they will send another replacement you know? I'll ask about doubling the warranty, doubt they will do it, but a great idea worth trying. Anyway I just feel like I'm venting now, wound up because I've been talking in circles to China all night, two nights in a row. Going to head to bed now. Have a good evening!

C series in no better than the basic average chinese junker tune Keith

The retail price is around half of the S series
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    I ask because I have a couple more to potentially buy at the start of the year.
    Keith,
    Sorry to hear about your problems, since it sounds like you will be purchasing more Chinese machines in the future my suggestion would be to purchase a " spare" tube to get by. Don't give these guys any wiggle room, make them replace your original tube.
    Now that you have seen the build quality of a "good" Chinese machine, you might ask around to see which manufacturers are of similar quality. Hopefully they will have better customer service.
    Scott
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-1290, Rotary attachment, Corel Draw x6, Bobcad Ver 27
    Juki-LU 2810-7, Juki 1900 AHS, Juki LU-1508, Juki LH-3188-7, Juki LH 1182
    Sheffield 530 HC webbing cutter

Can you ask them to refund the cost of the tube (since they can't supply it in a reasonable time) and then purchase a new one from another vendor?

Yeah I'm glad you're here Dave, without your insight into the difference of the tubes I might have got stuck with one of those junkers. Thanks buddy.

Thanks Matt, Scott, Kev, and everyone else who has posted.

I'm going to make them send me the EFR even if it takes a month, I'll keep it in reserve. The replacement I found on ebay says it will ship via fedex air and be here by next friday. Assuming that goes smoothly I will just put their tube in storage. They want to give me only $600 back for the bad EFR ZN-1650 130w tube (new one is costing me $1350 including shipping + any duties/taxes) or force me to take the junker C series as Dave said, so I think it makes sense to risk it in storage. Christmas is coming up and if I go down it's going to costs me hundreds of dollars a day. Worth the extra money to have it in reserve, especially when they will only credit me a fraction of what a new one costs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    C series in no better than the basic average chinese junker tune Keith

The retail price is around half of the S series