Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LudCab Shop

LudCab Shop

1/26/2017 4:52pm Panorama of the shop location. Perk test holes are dug - waiting on permits.
    01262017.jpg

1/31/2017 Morning then Evening
    01312017 (1).jpg 01312017 (3).jpg

2/1/2017 Evening
    02012017 (3).jpg

Insert a month of work and weather set backs. I formed, graded, vapor barriered, and rebarred all by myself. Setting 184 pieces of rebar in one day for a 40yr old man was stupid. But I did it. I even tied 40% of it that day. Beer never tasted so good.

Today 03/20/2017 - I found I have the county's largest hopscotch pad. FWIW - the rebar passed strength tests of 35# girl jumping all over it.
    03202017.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Lud

Beautiful location, nice-sized shop. I'm envious. Look forward to more photos as it progresses. Good luck!

Thanks, John. I really tried to justify putting it on the other side of the house but it blocked our view of the Ouachita (pronounce Wash-eh-tah) Mountains from the kitchen. Plus it was 6' of fall and would have cost me another $3k in dirt and labor.

Finishers and pump truck will be here at 7:15am to set up and concrete arrives at 8. Shop should arrive next Monday.
    -Lud

Nice. No pex for in floor heat?

No way. Lowest temp we had last 2 years was 27. 3 years ago we had a week of cold and some snow. I'm zone 7B
    -Lud

Pump truck and crew showed up at 7:15. Turns out the pump truck was owned by my best friend's (from high school) husband. I knew he owned 2 trucks, but didn't expect to see it 170miles south of my home town.

Mud started flowing right before 8am.
    03212017 (3).jpg

Gracie had to inspect the work. 55F this morning. Topped out at 83F this afternoon with 43% humidity. Was a good day to pour a pad. Tomorrow is overcast and possible rain, so it will cure nicely.
    03212017 (4).jpg 03212017 (5).jpg

Good reflection
    03212017 (6).jpg
    -Lud

Very nice. Look forward to more pics!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Need. More. Info.

My three kids went to Owe Wah Cheeta U. Of course, they are all older than you. It was quite a culture shock for all parties.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Need. More. Info.
    Well, I'm 6'3", 220#, like long walks in the woods... oh on the shop?

40x80 slab, 40x70x10 with 3/12 scissor truss. Inside truss is 1/12, so that gives me 14' at the center peak. Bringing in 400amps of 120/208Y (I'll upgrade to 480V when needed or just buy a transformer for select machines) - power line is 75' from shop. 2016 Ludwig Shop 4.pdf

Shop gets here Monday, Tuesday at the latest. Will take them 3 days to throw it up. Overhead door will arrive the following week. 1.5" of 2# closed cell on walls and 2" of 2# on roof. The material deposit for the shop was just shy of $14K and the insulation is gonna run me $11.5k. Whatever - it's worth it.

I'll hiring electrician to run the disconnect and set the panel - the rest I'm gonna wire myself. I'm leaving perimeter walls uncovered unless the look of the insulation drives me nuts. The rooms will all get some form of wall covering. I'm thinking of doing the office walls out of my old barn that sitting "on the back 10" and rotting - it's 70+ yrs old and was used as a saw mill. All the stick trusses are rough sawn 2x4 RO and WO. Beautiful wood. The paint room will get slick side 7/16" OSB and a few coats of white enamel. I'll be constructing my own booth'ish. I looked online at them and robbed them blindly of their design and CFM requirements. Paint room gets vapor-tight LED fixtures.

A lot of this I mentioned in Jefferey Scott's thread. My lights & fixtures are sitting in my quansi-hut. Hyperikon bought at Amazon. Putting in LED ready fixture bought from 1000bulbs.com

I'm still shopping DC's.
    -Lud

Can't see any bolts in the slab. Assume it will be wood frame with metal roof, because of the 3/12 pitch.

Why the rebar in the slab? I built metal buildings for years, and never once used rebar in slab, only a piece bent into a "V" around where anchor bolts for columns went. Everything else was 6X6 #10 rewire.

Pole barn built on slab. They'll mount the poles to the concrete. I dug 2' deep holes with an 8" auger where every pole is going to be placed. If they wanted anchor bolts they didn't tell me. (*edit* Confirmed with builder, no bolts needed.)

Didn't think about using 6x6 remesh. I've always used rebar.
    Last edited by Justin Ludwig; 03-23-2017 at 1:15 PM.
    -Lud

Justin, I hope everything goes well for you. I've come real close to murdering some people with my building. It has been one of the most stressful things I've had to do. Toss in my land lord being a dipstick as icing on the cake and a cabinet shop requiring 80hrs a week of attention, I've been a stress monkey.

I don't think Greg has had much fun either with his experience putting up his building.

I hear ya. I have a few years of building homes under my belt so I know what to ask and look for. I've done most everything myself so far. Dirt work and slab finishing was subbed out. The building will be here on the 3rd and it's from my home town boys that have been building all their life. They built my dad's shop 16 years ago. I've hired a reputable electrician. I plumbed it. Hopefully the insulation company isn't full of water-heads. I've seen their open cell work and it was well done.

I got lucky that I'm in the drawing phase of jobs and only have one solid surface counter job going ATM. I had to baby sit all week because of spring break. If I had a job going on that had a deadline, I would have hired a temp sitter. Gracie and I had a blast - her mom isn't so happy that half her clothes are destroyed now!
    -Lud