Thread: Dust Sheriff?

Dust Sheriff?

Has anyone built a Dust Sheriff? I use a shop vac for dust collection on my handheld tools. I’ve been thinking about adding a dust separator and this looks like an interesting option. Thx!

This (Dust Right) is what I've been using for the last 5 or 6 years.

I hook it either to my shop vac or my dust collector.

Not enough gets past it to even mention. It stops nearly everything.

Having said that, I can see where having a filter in the separator would have advantages.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Blog Entries
    For 40-odd dollars the Dust Deputy with a proven performance history and tons of users is hard to beat. The Dust Sheriff looks like a nice twist on Phil Thein's separator but the integrated filter sounds like an ongoing concern to me. If the filter "never" needs cleaning it isn't filtering anything. I call 'snake oil'.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 04-22-2021 at 10:18 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    For 40-odd dollars the Dust Deputy with a proven performance history and tons of users is hard to beat. The Dust Sheriff looks like a nice twist on Phil Thein's separator but the integrated filter sounds like an ongoing concern to me. If the filter "never" needs cleaning it isn't filtering anything. I call 'snake oil'.
    Exactly! (bold added by me)

I think they are referring to the filter in the shop vac never needing cleaned again.
    It's poor wording on their part.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I think they are referring to the filter in the shop vac never needing cleaned again.
    It's poor wording on their part.
    I believe you are correct and it is poor wording or copy layout. Still, the statement "You will NEVER have to clean a filter again!" is highly suspect ;-) I can vouch for only cleaning my filter (post Dust Deputy in a filter box) about once or twice a year. That may seem like forever after not having a per-seperater ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    As part of my upcoming shop renovation, I am leaning towards this recent offering from Dust Deputy.

I have grown to greatly value "ease of emptying", so I like this setup where the catch area is also the bag that you toss away. It does take up some wall space, but I have a dead corner (electrical panel that I need to be able to access) that will be a perfect spot for this. I'll install on a hinged setup so that I can swing out of the way when I need to access the electrical panel.

I might just build my own, but really at this price I don't mind paying a little bit for this to be ready-to-install (rather than fabricating the setup myself). Many other projects to tackle during the renovation so perhaps a chance to save my time for more important tasks.

I'll be powering with a "5 hp" Ridgid shop vac and am planning a hose reel on the wall above so I can easy connect to hand tools.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Here's what I have. I made from a photo a former Creeker (Leo Van der Loo) posted a few years ago. Works well, easily moved into place or out of the way. Easy to clean.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association